Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Deer Alberta

Red Deer Alberta

Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Deer Alberta

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Fair do! Mind you, the idea that low income families live in smaller homes is a bit of a generalization. Our home is only 1200 sq ft. but we do earn around $140,000 per annum -- maybe you consider that low income -- so it could be that some smaller homes are owned by people who do not wish to have a 4 bed, 5-bath McMansion! On the other hand, my full-time cleaner at the school where I work, earns just over $18 per hour, and manages to pay for one of those McMansions (and she does have a rather nice yard -- and furniture!)
$140,000pa IS NOT LOW INCOME

My OH and I bring in less than that. We are not low income

Our home is also 1200 sq ft and I wouldn't say 'only 1200sq ft' either, four bedrooms and three bathrooms is not a small home and $18 per hour is also not a low income wage either. If you think they are low income figures you have just quoted you need to wake up and join the real world.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Dec 7th 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Law-Burnett Family;9775348]
Originally Posted by Mad Jockette

7 months must make sure we start early spring time then,sylvan lake thats a fairly short drive from red deer isnt it?
Some parts of Sylvan Lake get really busy during the summer months, so I would suggest looking there at the height of the season so you find somewhere where your not going to be stuck in traffic. Mind you they have made some rather silly road changes along the Lakeshore so not sure how the traffic is affected these days.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Piff Poff;9775649]
Originally Posted by Law-Burnett Family

Some parts of Sylvan Lake get really busy during the summer months, so I would suggest looking there at the height of the season so you find somewhere where your not going to be stuck in traffic. Mind you they have made some rather silly road changes along the Lakeshore so not sure how the traffic is affected these days.
We live away from the town centre and generally not affected by the summer influx. The road changes on Lakeshore Drive, I like as it is more pedestrian friendly. The traffic is directed away from the centre and I have not heard that many complaints from town centre residents. The pedestrian areas stretch almost along all of the beach front from the town centre to the Highway 11a entrance to the lake front.(hope that makes sense!!! ) it is only a half hour walk or 15 minute cycle for us into the town centre.

The other road change is the one on Highway 11 at the cross roads (intersection) for the Markerville turn off and the second exit into Sylvan Lake, where there were quite a few nasty accidents, especially when people were turning Left to get into Sylvan.

I think in all as we have said previously, you need to come and see the areas for yourself. We registered with a realtor before ccoming over and on our recce looked at a few properties to get the feel of the house styles etc.

Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:43 am

[QUOTE=Mad Jockette;9775669]
Originally Posted by Piff Poff

We live away from the town centre and generally not affected by the summer influx. The road changes on Lakeshore Drive, I like as it is more pedestrian friendly. The traffic is directed away from the centre and I have not heard that many complaints from town centre residents. The pedestrian areas stretch almost along all of the beach front from the town centre to the Highway 11a entrance to the lake front.(hope that makes sense!!! ) it is only a half hour walk or 15 minute cycle for us into the town centre.

The other road change is the one on Highway 11 at the cross roads (intersection) for the Markerville turn off and the second exit into Sylvan Lake, where there were quite a few nasty accidents, especially when people were turning Left to get into Sylvan.

I think in all as we have said previously, you need to come and see the areas for yourself. We registered with a realtor before ccoming over and on our recce looked at a few properties to get the feel of the house styles etc.

I know a lot of the shop owners were complaining about the disruption to business, a few of them were wondering wether to close up for good, I hope things have got better for them. I haven't been to Sylvan all year.

BTW I do like Sylvan
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Piff Poff;9776673]
Originally Posted by Mad Jockette

I know a lot of the shop owners were complaining about the disruption to business, a few of them were wondering wether to close up for good, I hope things have got better for them. I haven't been to Sylvan all year.

BTW I do like Sylvan
Yes they did, but I thibk it was more the construction causing the problems as opposed to business. I may be wrong and if so apologise.

I didn't think you didn't like Sylvan