Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recycling in Canada?

Recycling in Canada?

Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling in Canada?

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Most of BC has pretty good recycling programs but I don't think any municipality does food stuff like Novocastrian mentioned, if they did they'd have to start an "adopt a bear" program at the same time.
We don't have bears here, but we do have raccoons, who are incredibly ingenious. I used to have the green food waste bin, with it's "tamper proof" latch, on the back porch. Very regularly indeed the local raccoons would break in and redistribute the contents.

Now I have a little shed-like thing (only the one, not two like Oink).

This mostly defeats the bastards.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:22 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Garbage collection here is once every two weeks.

One truck comes for:
Green wheelie bin containing compostables.
One black bag with real, non-recyclable garbage.
Up to three clear bags for additional, non-recyclable garbage.

Another truck comes for:
Blue bags containing paper/cardboard.
Blue bags containing plastic items and some other things (e.g. aluminium items such as foil, cans etc).

If you put the wrong things in a bag or use an incorrectly coloured bag (e.g. because you ran out of the correct colour), they slap a sticker on the bag telling you so and don't bother collecting it. Which can be annoying.

There are also a couple of recycle places downtown where empties, old electronics, quantities of metal etc can be taken in exchange for cash.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:29 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Ours in Oakville is pretty similar to Novocastrian's. Green bin for kitchen waste (including meat scraps, bones, etc as well as any more 'traditional' compostables that don't go in the garden composter), blue boxes for hard recyclables - paper, card, plastics, cans, non-returnable bottles, etc. Both collected once a week. FOrtnightly collection of black bags for actual garbage, and brown paper sacks of yard waste. Bulky items collected from kerbside once every six weeks or so, if they haven't been scavenged overnight first. It's pretty efficient: our family of 5 produces 3 or 4 black bags of garbage every fortnight, of which 1 or 2 are diapers (like AX, we're not green enough to bother with reusable ones).

Halton region has a well managed waste processing and reclamation facility (i.e. recycling, municipal composting, and landfill). There was a piece in the local paper the other day about its ever-extending lifespan: originally commissioned in 1992 with a life expectancy of 20 years, more and more landfill diversion of green waste and recyclables extended its lifespan first to 2023 and now to 2040, despite the region's population almost doubling in that time span. And they run an "open week" when we can go and shovel up as much compost/organic mulch as we need every spring, for the price of a donation to the local food bank.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:02 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

That must be limited to downtown Vancouver 'cus you can't even have a bird feeder over on the Shore
Burnaby is same as Van - and we get bears and coyotes (esp. burnaby mtn).

We put all our food scraps in yard waste bin. Like Van we get fined if we don't recycle properly.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We don't have bears here, but we do have raccoons, who are incredibly ingenious. I used to have the green food waste bin, with it's "tamper proof" latch, on the back porch. Very regularly indeed the local raccoons would break in and redistribute the contents.

Now I have a little shed-like thing (only the one, not two like Oink).

This mostly defeats the bastards.
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to work out the multiple quotes bit, but...the lady over the road has a tamper proof bin, but seem to regularly manage to trap a raccoon, and has had many mornings when she has had a good and cross one trapped! I brought an incredibly expensive bin with me (as I was not going to leave it) and it seems to have defeated them, it has four wheels a bit like a Dyson, so it seems to roll all over the garden. Every day it's in a new place so the raccoons are evidently trying...As is my Cairn Terrier, but that's quite another story.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:55 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Melancthon, a little part of Ontario, has a red neck population; the dump has signs warning that out-of-hours it's a hunting area so enter at your own risk. There's no garbage pick up. Still it's astonishingly efficient, the dump is supervised; clear glass, coloured glass, cardboard, appliances, tyres, metals, compost (usable) compost (unusable) all have their places. I didn't pay much attention to the compost piles because, at the time, I had chickens and so nothing left to contribute.
My husband used to live somewhere with that system, and they had a number of problems with polar bears and he was there for years...but again it seems to work well as people are responsible for their own waste and deal with it accordingly.

To my great chagrin, I can sing songs about waste recycling, as the kids were so steeped in the necessity of it...trust me I promise not to give voice, if you pay me well!

I want chickens here (just three, and I have to buy a licence!)...I brought my own purple Eglu Cube by Omlet, so I shall get rid of my edible waste that way...maybe I shall only have to drink wine that comes in plastic bottles or make my own!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton has 2 blue boxes, one for paper and cardboard and one for plastics, glass and other recyclable items; a green bin for biodegradable items and we are permitted 1 black bin bag or 1 garbage bin for general garbage per week. Once every 2 months we are permitted to put out 3 black bin bags (on a specific week), at Christmas we are also permitted extra. Garden waste - clippings, leaves etc., go into brown paper bags for collection. Large items can be left at the curbside between May and September for collection by prior arrangement. Christmas tree's can be put out after Christmas for collection.

If you put anything in a blue box that doesn't belong then they leave the box in situ complete with contents with a sticker attached.

One thing I really don't understand - why isn't wrapping paper (i.e. Christmas/Birthday wrapping paper) allowed to be recycled? We have to put it in the garbage!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:35 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

That must be limited to downtown Vancouver 'cus you can't even have a bird feeder over on the Shore
Yup Van City proper !
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:09 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, no garbage collection here.

everything gets thrown into the back of the truck and dumped in various sections of the local tip - ie metal in one bits, plastic in another, empty oil and paint cans in another bit etc etc. The rest (ie household stuff) get chucked in a big hole in the ground which includes glass.

I'm too lazy to get on the bandwagon of recyling everything that I touch, the kitchen wouldn't be big enough for the amount of boxes you'd need and I certainly can't be arsed to be washing out jam jars and yoghurt pots when I can just throw them in the bin.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:25 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
One thing I really don't understand - why isn't wrapping paper (i.e. Christmas/Birthday wrapping paper) allowed to be recycled? We have to put it in the garbage!
That's usually only the foil type wrapping paper. We have the same rule but if it's the paper wrapping paper it's OK.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I'm too lazy to get on the bandwagon of recyling everything that I touch, the kitchen wouldn't be big enough for the amount of boxes you'd need and I certainly can't be arsed to be washing out jam jars and yoghurt pots when I can just throw them in the bin.
Frankly, that's justa piss poor attitude.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Are there bits of Canada that are hot on recycling? NB doesn't appear to be...I couldn't work out why the neighbours have bin after bin of rubbish, it's because they are shoving everything in it. I rang City Hall this morning to find out where to take my glass and was told to stick it in my garbage. This can't be the same all over Canada surely? It just seems odd that you are asked not to wear perfume in public in case someone is allergic and have a by-law to cover everything from the length of your dogs leash, to appropriate places to fly a kite...but are asked to put glass in the rubbish. It's bloody good that Canada is big if this is all going into land fill.
Toronto takes it fairly seriously. Black bin for general garbage, blue bin for all recyclables, green bin for compostables. No boxes of the type I used to have in the UK though for some reason. Blue and black bins are picked up alternate weeks, green ones weekly.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:18 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

That's usually only the foil type wrapping paper. We have the same rule but if it's the paper wrapping paper it's OK.

Frankly, that's justa piss poor attitude.
You sound like my dad
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:02 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You sound like my dad
Your dad's probably a very wise man
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:10 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Are there bits of Canada that are hot on recycling? NB doesn't appear to be...I couldn't work out why the neighbours have bin after bin of rubbish, it's because they are shoving everything in it. I rang City Hall this morning to find out where to take my glass and was told to stick it in my garbage. This can't be the same all over Canada surely? It just seems odd that you are asked not to wear perfume in public in case someone is allergic and have a by-law to cover everything from the length of your dogs leash, to appropriate places to fly a kite...but are asked to put glass in the rubbish. It's bloody good that Canada is big if this is all going into land fill.
The blue bins are for recycling of plastics, newspapers etc and are collected separately from normal garbage. Beer bottles etc can be put here too or taken to the recycling centers on the north and south sides to get cash back.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:28 am
Sawdust making harpy

Your dad's probably a very wise man
Did you ever watch Harry Enfield? Remember the "You don't wanna do it like that" character ................ ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.