Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:22 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Epsom, er no, Toronto...
Posts: 135
jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Out of contract with Bell and have had enough of their attitude towards existing customers which means we pay a lot more than new customers for less of a service.

The plan is to get rid of the Bell home phone and internet and move to another provider using a dryloop - we will then keep our local calls to cell phones and all international stuff will be done through Skype / Facetime.

Anyone got any recommendations? I am leaning towards TechSavvy at the moment but was unsure of their upload speeds for chatting to the Uk?
jaminsk1 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:25 pm
  #2  
The ride never ends
 
orly's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 2,481
orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
Out of contract with Bell and have had enough of their attitude towards existing customers which means we pay a lot more than new customers for less of a service.

The plan is to get rid of the Bell home phone and internet and move to another provider using a dryloop - we will then keep our local calls to cell phones and all international stuff will be done through Skype / Facetime.

Anyone got any recommendations? I am leaning towards TechSavvy at the moment but was unsure of their upload speeds for chatting to the Uk?
I use Teksavvy. Have their 25Mbit cable package (basically Rogers without their name and over the top pricing on it). 2Mbit upload speed on that one. Works a treat and quite competitively priced.

As you have Bell you could take a look at their DSL packages. Again it'll basically be Bell without their bull-turd to deal with. Should run at the same sort of speed you get now.
orly is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:55 pm
  #3  
Yorkshire meets Vegas
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: T. ON (so there!)
Posts: 1,354
Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Another vote for Techsavvy. We've used them for the last 3 years and they are awesome.

We have a dry loop DSL (no landline) 200GB monthly download cap (though they don't penalise when you go over it) for about $45 per month. And they actually reduced our rate last year. Our current service is through the Bell DSL network, but we don't deal with Bell at all.

I can't recommend them more highly (Techsavvy not Bell) 10/10
Pretty Flowers is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:26 pm
  #4  
The ride never ends
 
orly's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 2,481
orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers View Post
Another vote for Techsavvy. We've used them for the last 3 years and they are awesome.

We have a dry loop DSL (no landline) 200GB monthly download cap (though they don't penalise when you go over it) for about $45 per month. And they actually reduced our rate last year. Our current service is through the Bell DSL network, but we don't deal with Bell at all.

I can't recommend them more highly (Techsavvy not Bell) 10/10
You might find they're starting to actually enforce the usage limits now. And they put our price up by $2 or some such recently. But it's still pretty cheap.
orly is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:35 am
  #5  
BEER Enthusiast
 
Bleepedy Bloops's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Riverdale
Posts: 587
Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

+1 for teksavvy...I use their DSL 15 service on dry loop for a computer and a smart tv and the service and pricing is rock solid

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 8th 2014 at 12:38 am.
Bleepedy Bloops is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:44 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,955
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

+1 for Teksavvy, just a word of advice, I would go with the Cable packages vs DSL, UNLESS the DSL packages are FTTN. (The 15/10, 25/10, 50/10 packages) If all you can get on the DSL side is 6Mbps down / 256 Kbps up then DONT get that, as [at least in my very, very, very short experience with it before immediately switching to cable] it is very slow, often slower than advertised (I was getting more like 3 Mbps down and 120 Kbps up, which is horrid, about as slow as an EDGE mobile connection)
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:31 am
  #7  
Resident Maple Leaf Lush
 
sharkus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,731
sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

I'm with mycybernet / switch works and have been since around 2006. Initially had a business package with them, but when I stopped working full time from home, I switched it to a residential package. Very happy with them indeed.

If I had to go with someone else it would be TekSavvy. The DSLreports forum has a couple of sections from them and their staff are very active on there.
sharkus is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:16 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Epsom, er no, Toronto...
Posts: 135
jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Thanks for all of the replies

The reason I was going to go for the dryloop originally was that from what I have read, it can be set up while I am still a Bell customer meaning I won't get any downtime.

If we go for cable I have to wait for my Bell contract to completely finish before TekSavvy can even set the order up meaning we will be a week to 10 days without any net connection?

Maybe I will look at going for dryloop at first and then changing up?
jaminsk1 is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:58 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,955
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies

The reason I was going to go for the dryloop originally was that from what I have read, it can be set up while I am still a Bell customer meaning I won't get any downtime.

If we go for cable I have to wait for my Bell contract to completely finish before TekSavvy can even set the order up meaning we will be a week to 10 days without any net connection?

Maybe I will look at going for dryloop at first and then changing up?
Actually, thats completely not true. I know a guy that has Teksavvy cable 150/10 set up alongside a Bell Basic DSL connection as he works from home full time so if the main (Teksavvy) connection is down he has his Bell connection to back him up. You can for sure install a Teksavvy cable connection while your contract on Bell isnt finished, (you would have 2 net connections at that time) and then cut off the Bell internet once the contract is done
Gozit is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:21 pm
  #10  
The ride never ends
 
orly's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 2,481
orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx View Post
Actually, thats completely not true. I know a guy that has Teksavvy cable 150/10 set up alongside a Bell Basic DSL connection as he works from home full time so if the main (Teksavvy) connection is down he has his Bell connection to back him up. You can for sure install a Teksavvy cable connection while your contract on Bell isnt finished, (you would have 2 net connections at that time) and then cut off the Bell internet once the contract is done
Yep. They'll happily take your money twice if that's what you want

Any aggro...sign up on dslreports.com and then message the CEO. He's particularly active and helpful.
orly is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:32 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,955
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommeneded Internet Providers - Toronto?

Originally Posted by orly View Post
Yep. They'll happily take your money twice if that's what you want

Any aggro...sign up on dslreports.com and then message the CEO. He's particularly active and helpful.
+1
Gozit is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.