Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

recommend a region free dvd player please

recommend a region free dvd player please

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:16 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default recommend a region free dvd player please

hi all, when my dvds arrive from uk ill want to play them, have an older tv here so cant connect up the laptop or id just use that to watch them but i was wondering, the canadians in future store etc dont seem to understand region free or multiregion as terms, anyone help me ask the right questions?
if it has to be blue ray thats fine too but again will need to play uk blu rays as well,

help! thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recommend a region free dvd player please

Originally Posted by __TJ__
hi all, when my dvds arrive from uk ill want to play them, have an older tv here so cant connect up the laptop or id just use that to watch them but i was wondering, the canadians in future store etc dont seem to understand region free or multiregion as terms, anyone help me ask the right questions?
if it has to be blue ray thats fine too but again will need to play uk blu rays as well,

help! thanks
we bought a very cheap one from Walmart and it plays UK DVDs. After a while they seemed to judder but that can be fixed by jumping on the floor or bashing the DVD machine. We find lying on the couch holding a broom handle is the best method to acheive this with minimum disruption and effort.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all

We bought a cheap one from The Source www.thesource.ca and it worked just fine for us!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

If you put the make/model etc on the internet it will give you a code. You then key it in and it will unlock your DVD player and make it multi-regional.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

what nativenewyorker said is right go look at dvd players get model no's check on internet to see which ones you can do and go buy one ours was $30 5 years ago still going its a philips
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in the woods
what nativenewyorker said is right go look at dvd players get model no's check on internet to see which ones you can do and go buy one ours was $30 5 years ago still going its a philips
Here is a good place to start looking
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
(but really, rip and stream, save the money a DVD player would cost for a media player)
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Most Toshibas good to hack, have 2 ourselfs
jimmy
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 12:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a really cheap one from Walmart, without looking up the hacking codes, came home and realised that not having a 17 year old kid or a knowledge of Mandrin I would not be able to make it work...took it back the next day and exchanged it for a Phillips DVP 3680....which I 'think' was 15 $ more and I had to buy an HDMI cable (it was on special offer from Walmart less than four weeks ago when I bought it) broke the code...took me a couple of goes, but it did work...I advise getting the family out of the house and getting a few moments to yourself! It is now all going great, we can borrow DVD's from the library and play those from home. Best of luck.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:35 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

cool thanks so i need to get a model no and check if its hackable. morally i dont have an issue with hacking a dvd player to play dvds i bought legally while living in UK, i do have an issue with streaming tho cos it leads to piracy and thats not a pretty thing to condone - just my personal opinion.
thansk all for your advice, as usual you guys are better than google
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:47 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

..... i do have an issue with streaming tho cos it leads to piracy.....
Each to their own of course, but I am confused how streaming your own DVD could lead to piracy, unless you have no security on your router..
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

cool thanks so i need to get a model no and check if its hackable. morally i dont have an issue with hacking a dvd player to play dvds i bought legally while living in UK, i do have an issue with streaming tho cos it leads to piracy and thats not a pretty thing to condone - just my personal opinion.
thansk all for your advice, as usual you guys are better than google
You've missed the point. Just get a cheapo from e.g Crappy Tire and read the box label to make sure it says region free. $30 or so, jobs a goodun.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:20 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You've missed the point. Just get a cheapo from e.g Crappy Tire and read the box label to make sure it says region free. $30 or so, jobs a goodun.
I don't think they actually say region free ... It s just that they don't normally lock the cheapness!

Sony are a bugger to hack!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on the BestBuy, Canadian Tire and Future Shop websites for model numbers of their cheaper players, then Googled for hacks to see which one people had had the most success with, then bought the player. Mine's a Toshiba SD4200. Hacked it no problem and it now plays everything.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:52 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt hack our Sony Blu-ray player but we got a Progressive Scan DVD player from Canadian Tire that plays them all - was about $30
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

chillingincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Philips are easy to make region free too!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.