Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Originally Posted by dollface
We could have lived in the city but choose not to raise our children there. Suburbia isn't a bad place to raise a family believe it or not. Guelph isn't exactly in the wilds!

Stable??
I lived in the city when the kids were of an age that it mattered. It seemed to me, and still does, that if you're 15, or older and Daddy hasn't bought you a car, transit is vital. If you live in the city, the kids go off after school to do whatever it is the youth of today does. If you live in the suburbs you have to drive them everywhere, that's more hassle and less good for them developing independence.

I did live in the wilds for about three years up until last October, I don't claim Guelph to be that. Rather, this is an urban way of being; we walk to work, to the pub, to the shops, to the restaurants. There's less choice than in the Beach but it's definitely urban. The downside, compared with the wilds, is that one cannot reasonably keep horses, or even chickens, at home.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:15 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I lived in the city when the kids were of an age that it mattered. It seemed to me, and still does, that if you're 15, or older and Daddy hasn't bought you a car, transit is vital. If you live in the city, the kids go off after school to do whatever it is the youth of today does. If you live in the suburbs you have to drive them everywhere, that's more hassle and less good for them developing independence.

I did live in the wilds for about three years up until last October, I don't claim Guelph to be that. Rather, this is an urban way of being; we walk to work, to the pub, to the shops, to the restaurants. There's less choice than in the Beach but it's definitely urban. The downside, compared with the wilds, is that one cannot reasonably keep horses, or even chickens, at home.
I don't mind driving them until they have cars - we won't always live in Oakville either. The beach was an option for us but just too far for OH's work. I like the beach area, feels more like a wee bit of London than Canada.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind driving them until they have cars - we won't always live in Oakville either. The beach was an option for us but just too far for OH's work. I like the beach area, feels more like a wee bit of London than Canada.
It is something of an ethnic ghetto, English and Irish (and Al, who's from Scotland and has a lot of guns). Good for dogs, bad for transit.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:27 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

It is something of an ethnic ghetto, English and Irish (and Al, who's from Scotland and has a lot of guns). Good for dogs, bad for transit.
Yep just like London though I haven't met AL!

really good for dogs, GTA could do with more of that type of area.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

You are describing Oakville, right?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy
Course he is! except only on the high st do they put bowls of water out for the dogs and Al's guns only blaze on Kerr.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ha! No, the Beach. Bad for transit in the sense that it's served by trams, which are cute but slow, or by a bus to the subway, not bad in the sense of having one train an hour. Good for dogs in the sense that everyone has a dog and the dog bylaws are widely ignored, especially in winter.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Course he is! except only on the high st do they put bowls of water out for the dogs and Al's guns only blaze on Kerr.
There are bowls of water for dogs all along Queen St. Many of them sponsored by dogtiques of one kind or another. Affectation is something residents of Oakville and the Beach both tend to.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

There are bowls of water for dogs all along Queen St. Many of them sponsored by dogtiques of one kind or another. Affectation is something residents of Oakville and the Beach both tend to.
I have to ask this as you seem to hate every place that is ever mentioned on this site - do you actually like Guelph?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:40 pm

Ooh hark at you. Would be true to say that falseness exists the world over and not just on Oakville or the Beach.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I have to ask this as you seem to hate every place that is ever mentioned on this site - do you actually like Guelph?
Tis true, he does...........except Camden.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I like Toronto, say as far west as Bathurst. I like Guelph, say as far south as the university. I don't like the nasty housing projects tacked on the sides.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ooh hark at you. Would be true to say that falseness exists the world over and not just on Oakville or the Beach.
Oh sure, but those areas approach Islington levels of being up themselves.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Tis true, he does...........except Camden.
And Ouray. I've no quarrel with Ouray.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:35 pm

Oh sure, but those areas approach Islington levels of being up themselves.
Why do you feel that way? there are tons of regular, good, nice people in Oakville that are not "up themselves"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.