Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reclaiming Tax

Reclaiming Tax

Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reclaiming Tax

I recently moved to Toronto from the UK.

During the negotiations for my job I totted up all my relocation expenses (I was very fair and was not out to make any kind of profit) which included shipping, 3 month car hire, first and last months rent, hotel stay, flights, pet transportation etc

I equated this to be around $28000.

My employer agreed and I made all the necessary arrangements.
I put most of the fees on various UK credit cards.

A couple of days before my move, my employer made a payment to me of $28000 less $8000 tax into my Canadian account giving me only $20000. Not enough.

Most of my expenses are tax deductible and I know I will be able to claim the $8000 back (well the majority of it) at the end of the tax year when tax returns need to be submitted(I think).

However, this $8000 deduction has left me short and I need to pick up the shortfall in the meantime.

Is there any way of claiming the tax back on these expenses early?
I currently have a rental car and need to purchase my own and have no funds left available to me.

I would not have agreed to this deduction if I had known in advance but by the time it was inflicted on me, most of the expenses had already been put on to my personal UK credit cards so I couldn't back out or I would still be liable for the expenses.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaiming Tax

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy

A couple of days before my move, my employer made a payment to me of $28000 less $8000 tax into my Canadian account giving me only $20000. Not enough.

Most of my expenses are tax deductible and I know I will be able to claim the $8000 back (well the majority of it) at the end of the tax year when tax returns need to be submitted(I think). ...
Why do you think they are tax deductible?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Why do you think they are tax deductible?
My employer told me in advance what was tax deductible.
For example, first and last months rent is not tax deductible but shipping is.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Your employer gave you a bum steer.

Relocation expenses for UK to CANADA relocation move are not tax deductible. All such relocation costs must be paid by yourself or your employer. The taxpayers of Canada don't want/need you here that badly.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think that " moving expenses" are tax deductible and indeed it was a major issue for us when we moved to Canada. My OH is away at present but I will talk to him when he returns as he will know more about it. However, this is from the CRA website:

"Did you move to Canada?
Provided you met all conditions and requirements (read "Who can claim moving expenses?"), you can claim eligible expenses for a move to Canada if you are a full-time student (including a co-operative student), or a factual or deemed resident of Canada."
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Your employer gave you a bum steer.

Relocation expenses for UK to CANADA relocation move are not tax deductible. All such relocation costs must be paid by yourself or your employer. The taxpayers of Canada don't want/need you here that badly.
I also have PWC (Price, Waterhouse, Cooper) dealing with wrapping up my tax affairs in the UK as well as dealing with them in Canada (put in place by my company) during the transition period.
They also agree that the fees are tax deductible.
However, I have not had a response from anyone as to how I am able to claim this deduction back before the end of the tax year.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:43 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Moving within Canada is
Moving TO Canada isn't

This comes up from time to time. Some people get away with claiming it BUT your initial move to canada isn't eligible for tax relief
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:49 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I also have PWC (Price, Waterhouse, Cooper) dealing with wrapping up my tax affairs in the UK as well as dealing with them in Canada (put in place by my company) during the transition period.
They also agree that the fees are tax deductible.
However, I have not had a response from anyone as to how I am able to claim this deduction back before the end of the tax year.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but moving from the UK to Canada is not tax deductible. Moving within Canada can be if the move is beyond a certain distance (not sure what that distance is as haven't had to do it).
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Moving within Canada is
Moving TO Canada isn't

This comes up from time to time. Some people get away with claiming it BUT your initial move to canada isn't eligible for tax relief
I am assured that it is but I will try to reconfirm.
It may be tax relief from the UK portion, I am not sure.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:53 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I am assured that it is but I will try to reconfirm.
It may be tax relief from the UK portion, I am not sure.
It definitely isn't from the Canada side that's for sure.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
It definitely isn't from the Canada side that's for sure.
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
I think that " moving expenses" are tax deductible and indeed it was a major issue for us when we moved to Canada. My OH is away at present but I will talk to him when he returns as he will know more about it. However, this is from the CRA website:

"Did you move to Canada?
Provided you met all conditions and requirements (read "Who can claim moving expenses?"), you can claim eligible expenses for a move to Canada if you are a full-time student (including a co-operative student), or a factual or deemed resident of Canada."
You are not a full-time student, a factual or deemed resident of Canada.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

We looked into this when we moved to Canada and were given a written response from CRA that we weren't eligible for tax relief on our moving expenses.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Canada is not a deductible moving expense for new immigrants or TWP holders. The disqualifying factor is not being a deemed or factual resident of Canada or full time student when they make the move. Immigrants make the move to become residents.

People moving to Canada, who are already deemed or factual residents of Canada or students coming to Canada at the time of making the move can claim expenses.

Even if one has come, landed as a PR, gone back and then moved, won't cut it, as this would not qualify as a deemed or factual resident.

A move is when the person moves, so getting PR, the organising your belongings to come over won't work either, as you moved when you came to Canada, not when your belongings move.

Moving expenses can be claimed for people moving back to Canada for work, who previously had ties and retained those ties. Retirees just moving home cannot claim them either.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...19/mv-eng.html
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Moving to Canada is not a deductible moving expense for new immigrants or TWP holders. The disqualifying factor is not being a deemed or factual resident of Canada or full time student when they make the move. Immigrants make the move to become residents.

People moving to Canada, who are already deemed or factual residents of Canada or students coming to Canada at the time of making the move can claim expenses.

Even if one has come, landed as a PR, gone back and then moved, won't cut it, as this would not qualify as a deemed or factual resident.

A move is when the person moves, so getting PR, the organising your belongings to come over won't work either, as you moved when you came to Canada, not when your belongings move.

Moving expenses can be claimed for people moving back to Canada for work, who previously had ties and retained those ties. Retirees just moving home cannot claim them either.

Line 219 - Where did you move?
Interesting........
I wonder how this works then.
I was working for a Canadian company in the UK and have now moved to Canada to work with the same Canadian company doing the same job.

Would this qualify for relief in Canada?
I may still be eligible for UK relief, I am not sure yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.