Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recession in Canada

Wikiposts

Recession in Canada

Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recession in Canada

Originally Posted by madi80
This was also posted on that forum!
This post is intended for those who are thinking about
applying for immigration permission to come to Canada, or those who are in the process of applying. I am a Canadian citizen, born in Canada, and I say this......Canada is in the midst of the worst economic free fall that we have seen in the past 70 years. Huge numbers of Canadians are now out of work, and many Canasdian companies are declaring bankruptcy. In the last year, the Province of Ontario has seen 335 ,000 jobs disappper in the manufacturing sector, alone. The Canadian automotive makers are all balancing on the edge of bankruptcy, and they are begging the Canadian federal Government for bail out loans, to stay in business.General Motors of Canada, Ford of Canada, and Chrysler of Canada, have all closed their car and truck making plants for three months, to try to reduce their huge inventory of un-sold vehicles. Car sales in Canada are down by 45 percent, and dealerships are going broke, as no one is buying any thing. In Ontario , one out of every seven jobs is directly tied to car making or the auto parts supply companies that feed materials to the car makers. Ordinary Canadians are worried about their own employment future, and the economic future in 2009 is looking very dark, indeed. The Government of Canada is saying that in 2009 they will be forced to go into a huge deficit budget, to try to stimulate the economy, by starting large public spending on infrastructure projects.The resale value of the avearge Canadian house has dropped by about 15 percent, in one year, and the building of new homes has all most completely stopped, as no one is willing to buy at this time. Many home owners are no faced with the frightening reality that they owe MORE on their home, than it will bring if it is sold now. If any one wants to buy it, that is . Many Canadians are having to "walk awayt " from their homes as they have lost their jobs and cannot pay the mortage. Thet are willin g to take any !job, no matter how low the pay, to keep their kids fed, and with a roof over their heads. Many are living in their parents basements, or with friends. Times are very bad here now.At the prsent time. Canada accepts about 250,000 new immigrants per year, but with so many of our own citizens being unemployed, immigrants are going to find it all most impossible to get a job, any job in Canada in the next 3 to 5 years. It only makes sense, of course, that in such hard times, we are going to hire our own people first, before a immigrant gets any chance at the job.So here is my message to you, in simple words.If you have not yet been approved, to come to Canada, STAY where you are. If you have a application "in the process " you can take it back and get most of the fees refunded to you, by cancelling it. Even those who have been approved and are about to come here may very well find that they are going to have to go back home in six months time. Keep that in mind. Now for the disclaimer.....I am NOT an Immigration consultant or lawyer. I AM a Canadian who reads the news every day, and who lives in Canada, and who is very sure that this is the WORST possible time to come to Canada, as a Immigrant. Don't say that I dind't warn you.Jim Bunting.
Toronto.
Let's not overgeneralize here either...Yes, things have slowed down and the media keeps reporting on the doom and gloom, but this is not our experience of what's happening right now. My OH is a HV electrician, still working, albeit the massive O/T 70 hour work weeks are gone. My BIL, mechanic, still working. Best friend's OH, carpenter, still working. I know IT people, teachers, school aides, social workers, welders, lawyers, shop workers, small business owners, government employees...all working. No one in my circle has been laid off or had to declare bankruptcy. No one has walked away from their homes or is camped out in their parents' basement. But then none of the people I know thought, hey, with this boom, what a great time to buy a million dollar house and 3 cars and lots of electronic toys. Guess we've all learned to live within our means. Not like Alberta's never had a boom-bust cycle before...

Just wanted to add that over the next 10 years as the last of the baby boomers retire, the labor market will be crying out for workers...and with the lower birthrate here, just where are the workers going to come from? Oh yeah, immigration...

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 7th 2009 at 5:16 am.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:05 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Yes. Point out to the Immigration Officer that if Britain hadn't built Canada he would not have a job. He'll probably also offer to give you the house that we built for him too!!!
Will do. Boy I sure am glad Umpatan came along and told me all of this, and to the rest of you whom have had to go through the immigration process...
suckers!!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
How about the Ernies and Bills and Norms and others?

What is it with the spelling/grammar police on here!!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by madi80
This was posted in another forum! I think I can quote it here!
"Can West Global, which is a multi- media corporation, that owns newspapers, tv and radio stations in Canada is just about to go into bankruptcy. It has been trying to convince it's creditors to hold off on calling a loan ( for 100 million dollars ) that was due to be paid today. It is unlikely that it will survive more than a further month.

General Motors of Canada, which used to be the largest business corporation in Canada, is trying to stave off bankruptcy, by asking the Government of Canada for BILLIONS in loans. GM has announced that it plans to close 250 of it's car and truck dealerships in Canada, this year. That alone will put an estimated 22,000 people out of work, and that is in addition to the 11,000 GM employees that have been let go over the past two years.

In Ontario, the number of people applying for un-emplyment benefits has risen to a all time high figure. The city of Toronto has announced that their fund for welfare payments is just about depleted, and we still have 10 months to go in this calender year.

Nationally the real estate maket is dismal, with sales flat and prices down by a record 30 percent in one year. No one is building new homes, as there are few buyers to be seen.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which is our national radio and Tv network, has been told by the Federal Government that they will get no budget increase this year, and to "live within it's means ".

New car sales, of all makes have decreased by as much as 50 percent, over last years numbers. Municipal governments are not buying new trucks or cars, for their fleets , and they are planning on not buying for at least the next two years, to conserve tax dollars, which are becoming more scarce, as so many people are no longer able to pay their property taxes, due to being unemployed.

And finally, US tourist visits to Canada, in the last quarter of 2008, were down by 25 percent, over the previous year. That reflects their worsening economic situation. Canadians are not flying nearly as much as they used to do, and many say that they will not go "far from home " this summer, to conserve their money. Summer camps for kids are not getting the usual number of reservations and some will not opetate this year, to avoid loosing money.

All of the above information comes from newspapers and TV news in Canada, in the past month. "
Can someone highlight how the recession is going about in Canada?
haven't had the time to read all these pages..but GM has affected us. hubby has worked there almost 25yrs and even that doesn't give us any stability...Laid off at the mo. and no good pkgs insight for the men that have worked their almost there whole life!!!

all i say is good luck to those who are looking for work here in Ontario Canada!!