Default Re: Recession in Canada

Todays news:
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/595655

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/595753

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/595756

An opinion........

http://www.thestar.com/Canada/Columnist/article/595473

Our thoughts......
More job cuts, people are not spending, shops are very quiet here in Bolton, people are more worried now, than they were last week.

We were looking to buy a house, that is on hold for the moment.....

Last edited by purple80; Mar 3rd 2009 at 5:38 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Well, he still has time to be wrong . But with the colossal collapse in credit I can't see that governments have much choice other than to print money and throw it out of helicopters in an attempt to inflate away the debts... though what the actual effect will be is another question entirely.
I really hope he's wrong (I always got the impression he didn't really know what he was talking about and was parroting stuff he'd been told). However, watching the real-estate market closely - try to get the timing right to buy somewhere remote with land and fill it with baked beens and tin foil hats.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

maldac is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like its the same as in the uk but they are still looking for uk workers to go out there, makes no sense to me
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
what seems to be the case (in canada at least) is that rather than making redundancies, companies have put into place, hiring freezes, (in addition to pay rise freezes / hour reductions,) whilst trying to increase / sustain other 'incentives' which are more affordable. (this is only what i have read; personal experiences of those in here might be quite different.)
effectively there is the long term recognition that things will improve, but this is having to be managed in the interim through cost saving measures just to sustain survival!

and of course there is also the resource of temporary workers who can be trained at a lower rate of salary, (with the company making a lesser commitment to such workers than permanent staff,) who when things improve, will seize the chance of long term, permanent offers of employ.

it is said that opportunity lies in adversity and i fear that one opportunity is to turn things into an 'employer's market'. (we might end up wishing we could have 10 days annual leave per year!)
The position I left in November last year (Admin Assistant at the Apprenticeship & Industry Training office) hasn't even been re-advertised. They're making do with the remaining 3 Admins as the workload these days only just about covers keeping them occupied! And the amount of apprenticeship applications have slowed down A LOT, obviously and mainly the ones for oil field workers.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maldac
sounds like its the same as in the uk but they are still looking for uk workers to go out there, makes no sense to me
Who is 'they'? If you mean the Canadian governments immigration policy - by the time that reacts we'll probably be in the next boom!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

maldac is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure who "they"are but when i look on the jobcentre website and type in local jobs eg pontypool and 20 mile radius travelling the first 3 jobs to come up are all in Canada. Long way to commute i think!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I have also read in the papers that the Canadian govt is putting Canadian citizens first when it comes to jobs and that any immigrants are up the creek without a paddle when it comes to finding work.

As I have said to friends and family here in the Uk, I don't care what job I do over there just so long as I bring in enough money to put food on the table and to pay the bills.

Its so typical that the best time to buy a house in Canada is now, and yet there are no jobs with which to service a mortgage.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AllyS
I have also read in the papers that the Canadian govt is putting Canadian citizens first when it comes to jobs and that any immigrants are up the creek without a paddle when it comes to finding work.

As I have said to friends and family here in the Uk, I don't care what job I do over there just so long as I bring in enough money to put food on the table and to pay the bills.

Its so typical that the best time to buy a house in Canada is now, and yet there are no jobs with which to service a mortgage.
Best time to buy a house in Canada will be 3/4 years time when they stop falling in price
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:31 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
In Canada the problems have only just started to surface what is predicted to be the worse recession / probably depression for over one hundred years unemployment has only just started to rise probably have at least two years of declines to come if we are lucky.
Some people will always predict the sky is about to fall. I think talking of a depression is more sensationalism than serious analysis. That is not to say it can't happen. I can make guesses about what will happen in the future, but I don't know for certain. Nor does anyone else.

People can NOT get credit in Canada now and this is going to get worse they will have no choice but to be careful.
Credit is still available. I agree that people at the margins are finding it very difficult to get affordable credit.

And you wait until interest rates rise at an alarming rate to pay for all the bail outs yes a lot worse in UK and the USA.
I don't understand your point. Canada (like the UK and US) will have ultra-low interest rates for quite some time. The next step will be to increase the money supply by nationalizing some of the problem debts the banks hold. In time, this will mean inflation will start to creep back into the system as the economy gets moving again and consequently interest rates will start to rise.

However, this will mean the recession is over and the economy is expanding again.

I don’t think this is pessimistic but more likely realistic.
I think you are overly pessimistic.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Some people will always predict the sky is about to fall. I think talking of a depression is more sensationalism than serious analysis. That is not to say it can't happen. I can make guesses about what will happen in the future, but I don't know for certain. Nor does anyone else.

Credit is still available. I agree that people at the margins are finding it very difficult to get affordable credit.

I don't understand your point. Canada (like the UK and US) will have ultra-low interest rates for quite some time. The next step will be to increase the money supply by nationalizing some of the problem debts the banks hold. In time, this will mean inflation will start to creep back into the system as the economy gets moving again and consequently interest rates will start to rise.

However, this will mean the recession is over and the economy is expanding again.

I think you are overly pessimistic.
He is pessimistic, but not overly so. Like the UK Canada already has a stupidly large public sector and thus it can't really take up the slack when the recession really starts to bite. Anecdotally, this month is the first where people I know/know of have been layed off.

Personally my big worry is the weimarization of the CAD$ - hopefully very low probability - but I wouldn't rule it out.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Best time to buy a house in Canada will be 3/4 years time when they stop falling in price
I'll be buying before then as I don't have the cajones to wait to see what the effect that printing will have on inflation in 3/4 years time. Probably late 2010 for me.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Likewise with us when it comes to buying a house, (an appartment in our case) - we would buy one OUTRIGHT.

We also need to have an address for correspondence to go to, a base to build our lives from.

There is nothing worse than living out of a suitcase when you have up-rooted your lives to move continents.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:16 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Edmonton Police Service are recruiting 227 officers this year. For those who are really desperate. Start on 50k and you get a gun.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

What about RCMP?? Do you have to be a Canadian to be a Mountie?!!!

I love horse riding so that could be a great job!!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:23 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
What about RCMP?? Do you have to be a Canadian to be a Mountie?!!!

I love horse riding so that could be a great job!!!
RCMP recruiting heavily also, you have to be a citizen with bow legs and an aptitude to tazer anything that moves though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.