Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

recent shipping experiences?

recent shipping experiences?

Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

russellg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: recent shipping experiences?

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Incorrect. That route is very expensive and would not be used. UK shipment typically go to Montreal or Halifax.

My guess is the shipment arrived quicker that the estimated time because it was a groupage shipment, the container got filled up, so it was sent.
Wasn't groupage. We had sole use of a 20ft container that was full when it left my house.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
a long while back but allied pickford's guys stole some dvds
packed the empty boxes

Tippetts at this end utterly useless. At one point couldn't actually tell us where our stuff was
Sounds like Tippets. Robinsons screwed up and left some stuff that should have been packed. Robinsons admitted fault and agreed to send on the odd items in a separate shipment. I've had some fun and games finding out where this extra box of stuff is. Trying to get a response out of Tippets is like getting blood from a stone. Supposedly this box is being delivered tomorrow. The box had been with Tippets on the 28th October but they only got round to telling me they had it last Friday.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:00 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by russellg
Wasn't groupage. We had sole use of a 20ft container that was full when it left my house.
My mistake, not sure why I thought it was groupage. They should have been able to give you a more accurate time scale for a FCL.

Hope you get your problems sorted out quickly.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Both Robinsons and Tippets are ignoring my emails (Tippets have been ignoring correspondence for weeks now). I'm going to write to the CEO (or equivalent) of both companies and send letters to BAR and FIDI as both of these companies are a complete waste of space.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by withabix
What happened when you sent them a bill?

Actually, your contract was with your British shipper, so you should have sent them a bill for the damage..

Did you?
Yes I did and they have ignored it. Waste of time bothering wasn't it?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Another thing to consider is that seemingly there are several companies operating under the name Tippets. The company that chucked my items through my door operate under the names TR Overseas Movers Inc. and Tippets World. They also have Tippet-Richardson quoted on the paperwork they left me, but somebody from Tippet-Richardson in Toronto claims that the other company names are nothing to do with them (although they then said that Tippet-Richardson in Vancouver are nothing to do with them either!). Suffice to say that I won't be dealing with any company that has Tippet anywhere in the name in future!
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:16 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

worried now cos i didnt even ask who was handling this side of things. nothing much breakable in there anyway and no dismantled furniture so should be ok. my main worry is where the heck to put it all, ive kind of grown into my house here in canada and not sure where ill store boxes and baoxes of stuff ( we plan to move in spring into our OWN house ( long time coming!)

i used GB liners in the end, they matched my cheapest quote as i said time was not important, i can wait 3 months if i have to. they shipped 550cuft for £2900. plus insurance. very nice and professional ( according to mum who dealt with them on the UK end)
will let you know how things arrive.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 12:03 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Incorrect. That route is very expensive and would not be used. UK shipment typically go to Montreal or Halifax.

My guess is the shipment arrived quicker that the estimated time because it was a groupage shipment, the container got filled up, so it was sent.
a while back now, but our container went through the Panama Canal and then swapped ship in Los Angeles.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:42 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
a while back now, but our container went through the Panama Canal and then swapped ship in Los Angeles.
My god! Who the hell did you use to ship your stuff, must have been a cheap job to take a route like that. You pays your money and get get crap shipping like that. No reputable international moving company would choose a route like that, unless it was to try and earn some money out of a cheap quote. Too many UK company's trying to under cut each other, to get the job, UK expats to be seem to want to get shipping as cheap as chips, but get a rolls Royce service, hence so many shipping problem threads on this forum.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

My god! Who the hell did you use to ship your stuff, must have been a cheap job to take a route like that. You pays your money and get get crap shipping like that. No reputable international moving company would choose a route like that, unless it was to try and earn some money out of a cheap quote. Too many UK company's trying to under cut each other, to get the job, UK expats to be seem to want to get shipping as cheap as chips, but get a rolls Royce service, hence so many shipping problem threads on this forum.
Back in the day we used PSS. They said start to finish UK to Vancouver Island would be 8 weeks and it took 8 weeks. Not sure why you think it was crap shipping. For our circumstance rat the time it suited us very well. No breakages and the price was, indeed, competitive; can't see a problem with any of this. Not really sure how it makes me cheap either.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Pete S will become famous soon enough

We used PSS in August. They were contracted to pack, ship, deliver and unpack. They did everything they said they would. There local agent Globe in Winnipeg was equally good.

The dedicated 40ft container came via Montreal to Winnipeg. It arrived on time, 3 weeks door to door.

I honestly can't say enough good things about these guys.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:42 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

We've done GB Liners - 250cu ft groupage - they've had it since Nov 6 and due to send it out this next week (I told them I didn't want it until early Jan). So far they've been great, had to chase to find out what the status was considering I wanted it in 3 weeks (their est shipping time plus clearance). Will report in on the condition of the goods when we get them
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

I tried to escalate my complaint with Robinsons however the person there managing the process did not respond. I then asked for the name of the CEO/Managing Director via their web contact form. I received an email address (for a Mr. R) very quickly from a Ms. O and sent the list of issues to Mr.R. There appears to be major communications issues within the company as when I chased Mr. R after waiting a month for his response I was told that Ms. O was dealing with it. Ms. O then said (via email) how was she supposed to know that I was under the impression Mr. R was dealing with the issue. Er, she gave me his email address in the first instance and he told me (via email) that he was!
Anyway, the upshot is i've been given the metaphorical two fingered salute by Robinsons (and accused of lying by Ms. O). I will be contacting BAR and FIDI about both of these incompetent companies (especially Tippets World who appear to use at least three names for their company, one of which appears to refer to a separate entity entirely).
Given my experiences I would in all seriousness NOT recommend using Robinsons. I would also recommend asking whichever removal company you are thinking of engaging in the UK whom they will use to deal with your goods at the other end and for testimonials of their work.

Last edited by russellg; Feb 10th 2014 at 5:01 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:52 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you had such crappy service from them! Keep on at the complaint, and if people don't share bad stories then the rest of us never know.

I've now unpacked and with the exception of one snow globe that leaked everywhere everything we sent was safe.
Recommend gb liners ( who used allied out of Vancouver to deliver here in Prince George)
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we moved from Kent to Lethbridge 2012 and used Eagle Relocations, 20ft container. I packed everything myself (reduced the cost) and the company loaded and shipped across. Tippet-Richardson were then hired by Eagle, who unloaded for us this end, we unpacked ourselves which again reduced the cost.

Great experience from start to finish with Eagle Cost was approx £4k with insurance.

Good luck

Eagle Relocations Ltd.
Unit 6 Ascot Road, Watford, Herts WD18 8AD
Switch: +44 (0) 1923 801500
Fax: +44 (0) 1923 813 458
Email: <snipped>

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 17th 2014 at 4:43 am. Reason: It's never a good idea to post someones email online, it's a spambot's delicacy :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.