Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

the reccy shortlist - anymore for anymore?

the reccy shortlist - anymore for anymore?

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Default the reccy shortlist - anymore for anymore?

Hi all,

Looking to spend 3 or 4 weeks in BC/AB next summer and possibly another stint the following year, prior to the (potential) big move.

Was keen on Nova Scotia, especially the house prices! However, research has told me it's a no no since they don't recognize uk trained mental health nurses..... will keep checking to see if that changes at anypoint in the future.

Right, here's my shortlist of locations - obviously there are a number of factors like house prices, commutes, etc but I'm going on gut feel from what I've read so far and some simple maths - the only problem is, I want to live in BC but all the indicators from a young family perspective are pointing to AB (a compromise is required I think ). My budget is $500-$600k for a 4 bed detached, this probably rules out a few of my choices, who knows maybe in a few years the exchange rate will be back up to $2.25 to th £1....

So, what do you think of the list (in order of current preference based on research) anyone live in a community close to these that I've missed and thinks it's worth a visit? anyone totally against any of these and has some seriously strong views backed up by hard facts? you get the idea.

Our requirements would be, good school, friendly community, decent transport links, close to some lakes and mountains for kayaking and snow boarding, decent property for my budget, plenty to keep a growing family amused and if I get very lucky a local health care setting to work in
I've also got 10 years finance management experience so I could keep my options open with working location.

1) Okotoks, AB
2) Cochrane, AB
3) Maple Ridge, BC
4) Vancouver Island, BC (3 hours on a ferry moved this down from 1st spot)
5) North Vancouver, BC (budget too low I think, more cash this would be higher)
6) White Rock, BC (again budget constraints)

Any constructive comments ggratefullyreceived

Visited BC and AB a few hears ago (twice, pre kids) and fell in love with Banff, Sunshive Village, Lake Louise, Views from Grouse Mountain, Downtown Vancouver, Tofino, Victoria... only bit which was average was Calgary (sorry). Hence my AB v's BC dilemma - I'm sure going back as a family will tell us all we need to know one way or another, I'm rambling, I'll shut up now
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:00 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of
Default Re: the reccy shortlist - anymore for anymore?

Originally Posted by Hammy1976
Hi all,

Looking to spend 3 or 4 weeks in BC/AB next summer and possibly another stint the following year, prior to the (potential) big move.

Was keen on Nova Scotia, especially the house prices! However, research has told me it's a no no since they don't recognize uk trained mental health nurses..... will keep checking to see if that changes at anypoint in the future.

Right, here's my shortlist of locations - obviously there are a number of factors like house prices, commutes, etc but I'm going on gut feel from what I've read so far and some simple maths - the only problem is, I want to live in BC but all the indicators from a young family perspective are pointing to AB (a compromise is required I think ). My budget is $500-$600k for a 4 bed detached, this probably rules out a few of my choices, who knows maybe in a few years the exchange rate will be back up to $2.25 to th £1....

So, what do you think of the list (in order of current preference based on research) anyone live in a community close to these that I've missed and thinks it's worth a visit? anyone totally against any of these and has some seriously strong views backed up by hard facts? you get the idea.

Our requirements would be, good school, friendly community, decent transport links, close to some lakes and mountains for kayaking and snow boarding, decent property for my budget, plenty to keep a growing family amused and if I get very lucky a local health care setting to work in
I've also got 10 years finance management experience so I could keep my options open with working location.

1) Okotoks, AB
2) Cochrane, AB
3) Maple Ridge, BC

Visited BC and AB a few hears ago (twice, pre kids) and fell in love with Banff, Sunshive Village, Lake Louise, Views from Grouse Mountain, Downtown Vancouver, Tofino, Victoria... only bit which was average was Calgary (sorry). Hence my AB v's BC dilemma - I'm sure going back as a family will tell us all we need to know one way or another, I'm rambling, I'll shut up now

Okotoks and Cochrane will both suite your needs. I am bias towards Cochrane because I live there. Has everything you need plus you are closer to the mountains for your skiing, kayaking etc. Why drive twice as far when you can live closer and be there in half the time.

As for house prices, well they are dropping slowly and you can certainly get a 4 bedroom nice house between 500-600,000.

As for all the other towns you mentioned. Sorry don't know them to comment. As for Calgary being average, yes it is true, it is a massive urban sprawl. No one moves to Calgary for Calgary, they move to Calgary to be close to the mountains, the outdoor life, the financial economy of the province and the prospects for the future.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:04 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Okotoks and Cochrane will both suite your needs. I am bias towards Cochrane because I live there. Has everything you need plus you are closer to the mountains for your skiing, kayaking etc. Why drive twice as far when you can live closer and be there in half the time.

As for house prices, well they are dropping slowly and you can certainly get a 4 bedroom nice house between 500-600,000.

As for all the other towns you mentioned. Sorry don't know them to comment. As for Calgary being average, yes it is true, it is a massive urban sprawl. No one moves to Calgary for Calgary, they move to Calgary to be close to the mountains, the outdoor life, the financial economy of the province and the prospects for the future.
Thanks Helen.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:37 pm
passport photo

Based on my budget / close to decent schools, which areas would you suggest I look at on MLS, local knowledge and all that thanks

Bow Meadows
Bow Ridge
Cochrane Heights
Cochrane West
Glenbow
GlenEagles
Heritage Hill
Jumping Pound Ridge
River Heights
Riverview
Rolling Range Estates
Sunset Ridge
Towers Trail
West Pointe
West Terrace
West Valley
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

1) Okotoks, AB
2) Cochrane, AB
3) Maple Ridge, BC

From what you have said Cochrane wins handsdown over Okotoks in my opinion, at least from the Alberta perspective. I can't comment upon B.C.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our first thoughts (back in 2003) on moving to Canada were based around Vancouver and surrounds being our new home. Among those you listed, we visited Maple Ridge, White Rock and North Van. It never quite felt like home to us. Maybe because we were searching for a city or surrounds based solution that offered a more significant contrast with London and the South East in terms of ease of mobility (we found we were stuck in traffic jams a fair bit. Granted, Stanley Park is a wondrous thing and the views of the city from there are spectacular. For us, a lovely place to visit rather than a place to live.

Given Helen's response above, we might be odd but we DID move to Calgary and surrounds because it is Calgary! For us, it offered a very good proposition in terms of a manageable population size, (remember our reference point is the SE of the UK), ease of getting around, a half decent transport system, good employment opportunities, a warmth among many of the locals that we never experienced in Vancouver (maybe we were just unlucky in Vancouver) and ease of access to the mountains.

From what you have said, on the Albertan part of your trip, if you don't fancy Calgary itself, then Okotoks and Cochrane are the best of the alternatives in its immediate surrounds. Some might throw in Bragg Creek but we think its quaintness is also its weakness in terms of it's lack of a good choice of facilities for day to day living. If you see kayaking and snow-boarding as weekly activities (or at least, very regular activities), then we would agree with Helen and Almost Canadian that the hour less per journey to and from mountains from Cochrane v Okotoks, is significant. If these are a "few times a year" activities then a 2 hour, very scenic, drive from Okotoks to Banff and surrounds is no great hardship. Moreover, the new hospital currently being built 17 minutes away on the southern edge of Calgary possibly provides a very convenient commute from Okotoks. For us, Okotoks has more to offer than Cochrane in terms of day to day living convenience and at least one extremely well regarded school (an elementary school) but these are fairly subjective assessments and your recce will quickly allow you to pick out which offers the better proposition for your family. Neither Cochrane or Okotoks have a public transport system to speak of. Don't know about Cochrane but Okotoks has a daily commuter bus provided to Calgary and talk (only talk mind!) of a more regular service next year but to all intents and purposes, for either, you need to be thinking in terms of cars. Your proposed budget will work very well in either Cochrane or Okotoks.

Best wishes with your research trips. With the structured approach you appear to be taking, we're sure they will be a great success.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:29 pm
passport photo

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi,

Our first thoughts (back in 2003) on moving to Canada were based around Vancouver and surrounds being our new home. Among those you listed, we visited Maple Ridge, White Rock and North Van. It never quite felt like home to us. Maybe because we were searching for a city or surrounds based solution that offered a more significant contrast with London and the South East in terms of ease of mobility (we found we were stuck in traffic jams a fair bit. Granted, Stanley Park is a wondrous thing and the views of the city from there are spectacular. For us, a lovely place to visit rather than a place to live.

Given Helen's response above, we might be odd but we DID move to Calgary and surrounds because it is Calgary! For us, it offered a very good proposition in terms of a manageable population size, (remember our reference point is the SE of the UK), ease of getting around, a half decent transport system, good employment opportunities, a warmth among many of the locals that we never experienced in Vancouver (maybe we were just unlucky in Vancouver) and ease of access to the mountains.

From what you have said, on the Albertan part of your trip, if you don't fancy Calgary itself, then Okotoks and Cochrane are the best of the alternatives in its immediate surrounds. Some might throw in Bragg Creek but we think its quaintness is also its weakness in terms of it's lack of a good choice of facilities for day to day living. If you see kayaking and snow-boarding as weekly activities (or at least, very regular activities), then we would agree with Helen and Almost Canadian that the hour less per journey to and from mountains from Cochrane v Okotoks, is significant. If these are a "few times a year" activities then a 2 hour, very scenic, drive from Okotoks to Banff and surrounds is no great hardship. Moreover, the new hospital currently being built 17 minutes away on the southern edge of Calgary possibly provides a very convenient commute from Okotoks. For us, Okotoks has more to offer than Cochrane in terms of day to day living convenience and at least one extremely well regarded school (an elementary school) but these are fairly subjective assessments and your recce will quickly allow you to pick out which offers the better proposition for your family. Neither Cochrane or Okotoks have a public transport system to speak of. Don't know about Cochrane but Okotoks has a daily commuter bus provided to Calgary and talk (only talk mind!) of a more regular service next year but to all intents and purposes, for either, you need to be thinking in terms of cars. Your proposed budget will work very well in either Cochrane or Okotoks.

Best wishes with your research trips. With the structured approach you appear to be taking, we're sure they will be a great success.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Thanks Eamonn & Janet, the deciding factor (if all else is equal) will be access to the outdoor pursuits, which is a big driver for the move.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

1) Okotoks, AB
2) Cochrane, AB
Never been - no comment

3) Maple Ridge, BC
Your budget will be just fine here.

It is only 90 minutes - move it back up a bit!

Yup, for a 4 bedroom detached you are going to struggle to find anything habitable in North Van. However, prices are falling. You will be able to buy an older detached home in White Rock for less than $600,000 in 2009. Especially if you are up to doing a bit of modernizing. This one has already been done and for $599,000 is a bargain.

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 23rd 2008 at 9:06 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That is just the boat time though, take into account driving time, waiting time, delayed or canceled ferries, ferries being full or having to arrive an hour before to get a spot, or the cost of reservations. Whenever I've gone on the boat, it took closer to 3 hours each way journey time. One Thursday before long weekend we lined up at Horseshoe Bay at 3pm and got on the 9pm boat.

Whenever possible I'll fly over, takes 20-30 minutes.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
No one moves to Calgary for Calgary, they move to Calgary to be close to the mountains, the outdoor life, the financial economy of the province and the prospects for the future.
I agree. Aesthetically, Calgary is not great - but as I've mentioned before, there are some very pretty pockets all over the city, especially when all those trees leaf out in the park and bike trail areas. But it's a reasonably well functioning city which provides most modern requirements.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
From what you have said Cochrane wins handsdown over Okotoks in my opinion, at least from the Alberta perspective. I can't comment upon B.C.
I'm going to definitely say come and visit Cochrane. I would. In fact, feel free to give us a shout when you are over - seriously. It's a good town, and has great access to all that gorgeous outdoorsy stuff you love. If you think you would be based at a main city hospital for your work, budget at least an hour to commute. It might only take 30 mins, but it might not! Having said that Okotoks is also well worth a proper visit. It's very popular and little more self-contained. We have several friends in the town who love it.

Originally Posted by Getting There
Neither Cochrane or Okotoks have a public transport system to speak of. Don't know about Cochrane but Okotoks has a daily commuter bus provided to Calgary ...
Cochrane also has a couple of morning and evening commuter buses into the city centre - but to be honest - you're going to need two cars out here. Unless you live and work predominantly in the city centres, I just don't see how families can function here without cars, due to the layout of everything. You'd need to be ultra determined and ultra fit (and if you weren't fit when you started, it wouldn't take long ) to successfully live here. By this, I mean travel for work, general shopping, carrying 'stuff' and getting kids to clubs, etc.

Enjoy your recce(s) - it won't take you long to narrow down areas and cross off places from your list
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:47 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Ontario out of the question? Property prices around here are pretty hard to beat, for your budget you would be looking at a 4500 sq ft 6 bed, 3 bath detached with pool in a good location!

As an example :-

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7731518

Admittedly not many mountains around - but family life is pretty good....
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi ,
i moved to cochrane september this year property prices reasonable and very friendly community .i am also a nurse and work in calgary at thr foothills medical center 30 min commute on good days ,bearing in mind i work shifts and go in or out before or after rush hour hope this helps
susie q
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Have you thought about the interior at all? We did our recce about 18mths ago, drove from Vancouver to Calgary and back again, and then spent a few days on the Island. We expected to like the Island best, but thought the Interior was something special. Check out Interior Health - both Kamloops and Kelowna might be possibilities for you. We are really enjoying Kamloops. 15 mins drive to work, mountains all around, and no rain (although it's very cold right now!). Schools are good and it's very friendly. Kelowna is more pricey, but you get lakes and forests (it's more arid here).
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:39 am
passport photo

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Never been - no comment

Your budget will be just fine here.

Yup, for a 4 bedroom detached you are going to struggle to find anything habitable in North Van. However, prices are falling. You will be able to buy an older detached home in White Rock for less than $600,000 in 2009. Especially if you are up to doing a bit of modernizing. This one has already been done and for $599,000 is a bargain.
Wow! that is a nice, better than anything I've spotted in that area for the budget, thanks for the link. I might need to move White Rock up the list a few notches!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:42 am
passport photo

Originally Posted by ann m
I agree. Aesthetically, Calgary is not great - but as I've mentioned before, there are some very pretty pockets all over the city, especially when all those trees leaf out in the park and bike trail areas. But it's a reasonably well functioning city which provides most modern requirements.

I'm going to definitely say come and visit Cochrane. I would. In fact, feel free to give us a shout when you are over - seriously. It's a good town, and has great access to all that gorgeous outdoorsy stuff you love. If you think you would be based at a main city hospital for your work, budget at least an hour to commute. It might only take 30 mins, but it might not! Having said that Okotoks is also well worth a proper visit. It's very popular and little more self-contained. We have several friends in the town who love it.

Cochrane also has a couple of morning and evening commuter buses into the city centre - but to be honest - you're going to need two cars out here. Unless you live and work predominantly in the city centres, I just don't see how families can function here without cars, due to the layout of everything. You'd need to be ultra determined and ultra fit (and if you weren't fit when you started, it wouldn't take long ) to successfully live here. By this, I mean travel for work, general shopping, carrying 'stuff' and getting kids to clubs, etc.

Enjoy your recce(s) - it won't take you long to narrow down areas and cross off places from your list
Thanks Ann, very useful, thanks also for the kind offer - I may well take you up on it next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.