Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reccomend an area

Reccomend an area

Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Re: Reccomend an area

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The residents of St. Alberta will be outraged at your comments.

St. Albert has city status.

http://www.stalbert.ca/
Ok then the city of St Albert. Geez
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirstine
Ok then the city of St Albert. Geez
Did you not see the smiley faces.

What happened to that supposedly great English sense of humour.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I'm not English.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirstine
I'm not English.
'nuff said.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
dbd was online early this morning... I would have answered much the same way if I'd been up earlier. But I'll add to the chorus anyway. You won't find a community of < 5,000 that has public transit. Living in a place like that with no car will be difficult. Living in a place like that with only one car will be a pain, especially if you have kids.
Not a major pain. A bit inconvenient, yes, at times, but we've managed fine for 3.5 years with just the one car, 2 kids, and living 20 mins drive from the nearest store!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:14 pm
Banned

normanstrongbow is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the Annapolis Valley on the west coast of Nova Scotia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapolis_Valley

There are a lot of small towns between Wolfville and Digby.

And they have a public transit system:

http://www.kingstransit.ns.ca/schedules.html

My daughter and son-in-law lived in Greenwood. He was stationed at CFB Greenwood.

Employment in that region could be an issue.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:48 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

South Central Ontario and South Eastern would be my choice.

Peterborough, Trent, Kingston, Perth, all nice towns.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:46 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
Thank you for your replies.

The size of the country does not bother me but I do ot want to live in an area where there are lots of people.

That is a shame that there is not a good public transport system in Canada as I cannot drive.

El_Rico, I have never been to Canada but there is something about it that has drawn me to the idea of moving there (The idea has been there for some time as well)

DBD33, My children are still young at the moment (my eldest is 5 and my twins are 3)

Edited to add, I forgot to mention about work. I would like to work from home as a photographer so I am not sure how that would affect where I live but my partner is restricted as he wants to work in conservation.
If I were you I would learn to drive. Passing your driving test in Fredericton is a breeze, but even though it is a city of about 70,000 it has a limited public transport system.

A town with a population of 5,000 isn't many and it will probably have few local amenities because the next town of 5,000 will probably be 30 miles away.

People tend to life on a minimum of 1 acre plots so they can have a well which means even though we are 81 Garden View Drive there are only 9 houses on our side of the street. A quick walk around the block is a 2.8km walk for us. We live 16km from the city about a 15-20 minute drive, no bus service (it stops at about 12km).