Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

reccie trip...return.

reccie trip...return.

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:37 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reccie trip...return.

I'm in Kamloops, house prices are a little lower, but basic daily cost of living is the same. My take on your figures are:

Originally Posted by Glam

MORTGAGE approx $1,600.00
ELECTRICITY $80.00 I pay $180 p/mth, but have no gas, for a 4,500 sq/ft home. The size of your house will be a big determining factor in you heating bills.
GAS $120.00
PROPERTY TAX $225.00 This could potentially be much higher. I pay $180 p/mth but am out of city limits - if the house was 2kms closer to town it'd cost me c$500 p/mth
HOUSE INSURANCE $50.00 $1,000 to $1,500 p/yr seems to be a fair range for home insurance for friends and neighbours, so double your estimate.
BASIC HEALTH CARE $150.00Provided by work
LIFE INSURANCE $30.00Provided by work
LIFE INSURANCE $30.00Provided by work
DIGITAL TV, PHONE &
BROADBAND $150.00 TV alone costs me $150 per month, land line is c$100 p/mth and internet an additional $80 p/mth.
2 X MOBILE PHONES $90.00I don't bother with one
GROCERY SHOPPING $1,000.00
CAR INSURANCE $130.00 If you've full no claims discount, maybe, if not could easily be double.
CAR INSURANCE $130.00
FUEL $400.00 Seems reasonable to me. I commute 50kms round tip each day, and go to the ski hill 50 mins away most winter weekends, and seem to need $100 p/week for a mid sized SUV
SAVINGS $500.00
CHILDCARE $300.00

TOTAL MONTHLY SPEND $4985.00

EATING OUT / SHOPPING/
ENTERTAINMENT $1000.00

TOTAL $5985.00

TAX AT 25% APPROX $1995.00

GROSS INCOME REQ $7989.00

Am i missing something??? constructive help and advice always appreciated.

Regards,

Slightly disillusioned,

Gav
I have no mortgage or other debt, and find c$70k is a comfortable level for the 2 of us to enjoy ourselves, own/run some toys and not be to restricted by income.

Last edited by R I C H; Feb 2nd 2011 at 6:43 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
So between $95k and $135K. I guess it depends on how big a house, and how many toys, you want to buy. Most people will think this is a pretty decent income and will pay for a pretty decent lifestyle. Not rich, but certainly in the "comfortable" range.
Originally Posted by dboy
totally doable. I think most couples with half decent jobs fall in the lower end of that range and will afford a reasonable enough lifestyle, even in Lotus Land.
According to this article on housing affordability in Vancouver (or unaffordability), the median household income in Vancouver is $63,100, so those figures will put you well ahead of most I suspect.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...484/story.html
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by brizzle
According to this article on housing affordability in Vancouver (or unaffordability), the median household income in Vancouver is $63,100, so those figures will put you well ahead of most I suspect.

Thanks for all you help folks. Reassuring to hear other peop's opinions and experience.

Cheers,

Gav.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Victoria's average price of $430,000 was 7.1 times the median household income of $60,900, resulting in a ranking of 309th out of 325. Abbotsford's $402,000 average price made it 6.5 times the median household income of $62,300 and 297th in the rankings. And Kelowna finished 283rd with a median income of $57,500 that was 5.9 times the median price of $338,000.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz1CphPGXvD

How the hell do people manage??
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:05 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria's average price of $430,000 was 7.1 times the median household income of $60,900, resulting in a ranking of 309th out of 325. Abbotsford's $402,000 average price made it 6.5 times the median household income of $62,300 and 297th in the rankings. And Kelowna finished 283rd with a median income of $57,500 that was 5.9 times the median price of $338,000.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz1CphPGXvD

There was a news piece a few days ago concerning the affordability of Kelowna. Earnings figures for the city are heavily skewed due to the high % of the population that are retirees living on fixed incomes. Nonetheless, many companies are struggling to fill job vacancies as earnings don't match housing costs. It's not a cheap place to live.

How do people manage? - You listed close to $2,000 of discretionary expenditure each month (savings, entertainment, cell phones, second vehicle etc) plus some items an employer might cover. Perhaps you need to be more realistic about those items.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Credit.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:36 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

THey buy houses with friends/family or buy a cheaper condo. or both work and pay big mortgage. or they have lots of equity from previous condo/home.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 2nd 2011 at 7:51 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Frightening as they are, they are just averages. I suspect that the Vancouver figures are skewed because there is some seriously expensive real estate owned by seriously wealthy people who have very little income.

I read somewhere recently that in the back end of 2010 there was a month where were 1,300 sales of single family homes for a combined sale price of $1.35B. That is more than $1,000,000 each on average. Despite that, ordinary Joes were still buying homes. Maybe condos or town homes in the City, or single family homes in the suburbs.

The thing is, if sufficient people were not prepared to pay these prices then the prices would fall. So, it is either rich overseas investors, illicit money, or (as Alan2005 and Kiwilass suggest) people just do find a way to manage.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Frightening as they are, they are just averages. I suspect that the Vancouver figures are skewed because there is some seriously expensive real estate owned by seriously wealthy people who have very little income.

I read somewhere recently that in the back end of 2010 there was a month where were 1,300 sales of single family homes for a combined sale price of $1.35B. That is more than $1,000,000 each on average. Despite that, ordinary Joes were still buying homes. Maybe condos or town homes in the City, or single family homes in the suburbs.

The thing is, if sufficient people were not prepared to pay these prices then the prices would fall. So, it is either rich overseas investors, illicit money, or (as Alan2005 and Kiwilass suggest) people just do find a way to manage.

Median figures for household income and house prices - Not averages, so they won't overly skewed by some uber-expensive real estate. So out of all of the different real estate sales in Vancouver (condos, houses etc) the 'middle of the pack' figure is $600k. Average figures for single family homes in Vancouver is around $1m as you say. Incidentally, the median of Greater London prices was 300k pounds.

It is quite mad. There has got to be a lot of overseas money fuelling this. If interest rates ever get back up to historical norms then it could be interesting??
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
18 years here I have never seen that. Most employers offer decent medical, even Mcjobs.
I suppose this is proof that there's no pub culture in Vancouver and that the police are out of touch with the public they police. In the pub there's always a collection of some sort for a local person who's fallen ill or been injured, in the office there's always a fund to pay the medical bills of some needy local family, companies demonstrate their commitment to the locality by funding such medical bills. Canadians hold their healthcare in high regard because it's better than the worst cases in the US, nonetheless, Canada is a nation of the working poor; people one illness away from losing their houses.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Median figures for household income and house prices - Not averages, so they won't overly skewed by some uber-expensive real estate. So out of all of the different real estate sales in Vancouver (condos, houses etc) the 'middle of the pack' figure is $600k. Average figures for single family homes in Vancouver is around $1m as you say. Incidentally, the median of Greater London prices was 300k pounds.
Yes, medians make more sense. Bang goes that theory!

It is quite mad. There has got to be a lot of overseas money fuelling this. If interest rates ever get back up to historical norms then it could be interesting??
I agree that there is a lot of overseas money and I think this is part of the reason the ratio of prices to earnings is so high. Overseas investors don't need mortgages so are not constrained by the bank's debt service ratio requirements.

I also agree that quite a few people are mortgaged to the limit and an increase in two or three points in the interest rate will have, as you say, interesting consequences for the prices of first time and first family homes.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose this is proof that there's no pub culture in Vancouver and that the police are out of touch with the public they police. In the pub there's always a collection of some sort for a local person who's fallen ill or been injured, in the office there's always a fund to pay the medical bills of some needy local family, companies demonstrate their commitment to the locality by funding such medical bills. Canadians hold their healthcare in high regard because it's better than the worst cases in the US, nonetheless, Canada is a nation of the working poor; people one illness away from losing their houses.
I have to agree with dboy. I can't recall ever having been asked to contribute to anyone's medical bills. Maybe it's on Ontario thing.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:32 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with dboy. I can't recall ever having been asked to contribute to anyone's medical bills. Maybe it's on Ontario thing.
Happens here too. Cancer normally.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:35 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Happens here too. Cancer normally.
Also common in NS
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:45 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Also common in NS
Uber common. Usually at least 3 nights a month at the local pub are collections/auctions for people who are ill or have lost everything in a house fire and did not have insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.