Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recce to Alberta

Recce to Alberta

Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Ian Mitchell is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Recce to Alberta

HI, this is only my 2nd time on here so a quick brief on our situation. Sold our house, been told by our immigration agent i qualify for the skilled worker route, all i need is a job offer. Married with 2 children 7 & 9 yrs. This will be our 2nd trip to Canada. We went to BC last time, loved it but this time we are looking at Alberta. I'm a welder fabricator so this is the field of work i will be looking at so any ideas where to look would be good. We are looking at Calgary area to live as we hear it's family orientated and has a good education system. My wife is in computers so commuting to calgary would be good.
This is also a holiday so places to visit would be good.
Thanks

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recce to Alberta

Hiya

We are also going to Calgary for a Reccie, in October.
I would recommend that you get in touch with an expat on here called Getting There. He has helped us soo much in the last few weeks/months!! Check out his website www.yournewlife.ca they have some great blogs on there too!

Hope this helps and have a great Reccie!

Linz
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:23 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

I also recommend Eamonn, he is a wonderful, helpful man

My hubby is a pipeline welder, we're hoping to live in Okotoks but my hubby will probably be working for a company based in either Calgary or Fort Mcmurray.

Unless you have some really unusual circumstances you will not need an Immigration Lawyer.

Read the WIKI at the top of the page to get the info you need, but you may be better to just apply for PR as it only takes 6-12 months, then you could move over and get work. It's pretty difficult going through the TWP process as you need to get an employer to prove they have advertised the position across Canada and noone is suitable for the job, then you need to get an LMO approved which people are finding near impossible these days.

The CIC website has all the forms, take a look at them, they are easy to fill in. Basic details like name, address, work experience etc. Do you really need a lawyer to do that for you?

Once you have posted one more time you will be able to PM (private message at the top of the page), so if you have any questions let me know
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.

My hubby is a pipeline welder, we're hoping to live in Okotoks but my hubby will probably be working for a company based in either Calgary or Fort Mcmurray.

Unless you have some really unusual circumstances you will not need an Immigration Lawyer.

Read the WIKI at the top of the page to get the info you need, but you may be better to just apply for PR as it only takes 6-12 months, then you could move over and get work. It's pretty difficult going through the TWP process as you need to get an employer to prove they have advertised the position across Canada and noone is suitable for the job, then you need to get an LMO approved which people are finding near impossible these days.

The CIC website has all the forms, take a look at them, they are easy to fill in. Basic details like name, address, work experience etc. Do you really need a lawyer to do that for you?

Once you have posted one more time you will be able to PM (private message at the top of the page), so if you have any questions let me know
I agree with everything the young lady says
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Ian Mitchell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Recce to Alberta

Originally Posted by Kaye.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. Still trying to work out how to use this forum so I hope you get this. I have sent a message to Eamonn and hope he can help. Any advise is very welcome!!

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian
You have just got to take the kids to Heritage Park, it is a Theme Park all about the turn of the century Canada.......Staff in Costume, Wigwams, Steam train, Paddle Steamer for a ride on the lake, Fort, Farm, Town, working old vehicles, Horse and cart rides, Pony and traps to watch going about business. We took a Picnic and stayed the day......they have a Bakers, Ice cream Parlour etc and shops in the town part. My kids were 9 and 11 when we went and they loved it.

It is slightly to the west of Calgary...Have a look, here is the link
http://www.heritagepark.ca/
Well recommended
Enjoy
Stef

Originally Posted by Ian Mitchell
HI, this is only my 2nd time on here so a quick brief on our situation. Sold our house, been told by our immigration agent i qualify for the skilled worker route, all i need is a job offer. Married with 2 children 7 & 9 yrs. This will be our 2nd trip to Canada. We went to BC last time, loved it but this time we are looking at Alberta. I'm a welder fabricator so this is the field of work i will be looking at so any ideas where to look would be good. We are looking at Calgary area to live as we hear it's family orientated and has a good education system. My wife is in computers so commuting to calgary would be good.
This is also a holiday so places to visit would be good.
Thanks

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:17 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I agree with everything the young lady says

Originally Posted by Ian Mitchell
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. Still trying to work out how to use this forum so I hope you get this. I have sent a message to Eamonn and hope he can help. Any advise is very welcome!!

Ian
Ian take a look at the WIKI then fire away with any specific questions. It takes a while to get your head around all the info and abbreviations, but you'll soon understand it all.

Here's a link to the Skilled Worker page on the CIC site and here's a link to the test you need to take to determine if you are eligible. You need to get a pass mark of 67 or more.

Pay extra attention to the education part as that is where most people get it wrong. Did you do an apprenticeship? If so count the years you went to college as formal education.

Good luck, it's a lot to read!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Also with the education...if you have an apprenticeship, it counts twice....Years on education...plus level of attainment. This is especially useful if there are any doubts about how many years in education....I have just been through a Federal Court battle about education. What was said that if doubt arises, the Immigration Officer must look at the level of attainment and take it as read that without basic education, you could not have got to that level. My case has changed policy...so hopefully will help a few others.

What was also found was that if an applicant's spouse could have applied in their own right......that they would be worth more points on adaptability. In our case we gave me 2 points when I was actually found by the court to be worth 4 points. Had this been tallied correctly if would have meant we would still have had enough points when they tried to take a years education from us.
Hope this makes sense
Good luck
Stef

[Quote]
Pay extra attention to the education part as that is where most people get it wrong. Did you do an apprenticeship? If so count the years you went to college as formal education.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who is planning a recce to AB I would recommend also looking outside of the main places of Calgary and Edmonton - there are some really nice communities in the South such as Lethbridge and Medicine Hat which you could do some research on and see if they are worth a trip for you
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:30 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Anyone who is planning a recce to AB I would recommend also looking outside of the main places of Calgary and Edmonton - there are some really nice communities in the South such as Lethbridge and Medicine Hat which you could do some research on and see if they are worth a trip for you
Med Hat is to the EAST of Calgary
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:20 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Med Hat is to the EAST of Calgary
Pedant
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nice

Hopefully moving to Ralston for three years in September!
Any points I should know?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Pedant
I wear my badge with pride, after all Prof. Novo is KING of the Pedants.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody south east then
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:46 pm
Future Albertan

Originally Posted by msi64
Hopefully moving to Ralston for three years in September!
Any points I should know?
You would be better to start your own thread and ask specific questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.