Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reassurance/dose of reality

Reassurance/dose of reality

Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

slh71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reassurance/dose of reality

Possibly cold feet, possibly reality setting in but I am beginning to doubt the ability to get to Canada.

I was just wondering how old others have been when they have finally made the move and whether anyone has made the move without a job to go to once over there.

I get the feeling from reading some of posts on here that alot of people are in the 20's/30's when they have/are making the move (wishing I had made the move when I left school now) but I was wondering if there are any who have made the move later in life.

I would really like to hear your stories whether it provides reassurance or a reality check!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reassurance/dose of reality

Originally Posted by slh71
Possibly cold feet, possibly reality setting in but I am beginning to doubt the ability to get to Canada.

I was just wondering how old others have been when they have finally made the move and whether anyone has made the move without a job to go to once over there.

I get the feeling from reading some of posts on here that alot of people are in the 20's/30's when they have/are making the move (wishing I had made the move when I left school now) but I was wondering if there are any who have made the move later in life.

I would really like to hear your stories whether it provides reassurance or a reality check!
I always thought that the biggest demographic on here was people in their late 30's/early 40's. i.e. those who've got enough equity to fund the move, but are still young enough to qualify easily.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:20 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there a poll, a few years back, where age bands (at the time of emigration) were the options?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We made the move midway through our 30s with 3 kids in tow with no job to come to. We knew less than half a dozen people prior to arrival, and had only met them briefly on a research trip 10 months before.
Just Joined

Aott is an unknown quantity at this point

go for it,

I am in my mid thirties and planning to move in the next 12 months probably with no job offer. (Applying for a few over here when I get chance but will be difficult if that comes off I understand, and don't have much time to dedicate to it)

Still a lot of life to live, and better over there than here! For sure

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

This might be what I was thinking of ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...age+emigration

Last edited by Greenhill; Feb 5th 2013 at 9:24 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
This might be what I was thinking of it...

There's some blasts from the past in that thread.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:37 pm

I still miss Judy.

She was like the 'glue' of the forum.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There's some blasts from the past in that thread.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:39 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Shes still doing very well, now happily married and Living in New Zealand
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

slh71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greenhill
This might be what I was thinking of ...

Brilliant thread and just what I was hoping for. Gently reassured that I am not "over the hill". Although I know that the points system has and is changing regarding age etc there would still seem to be hope.

I would be interested to get people's thoughts on the job side of things though. I know that obviously it is going to be the same in Canada as the UK regarding age and employability, together with the added hurdle of immigrant and Canadian experience, but has anyone successfully found employment once they got there rather than having something lined up before hand (if they have gone slightly later in life shall we say).
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

slh71,

We moved over to Calgary in May last year (just the two of us as we don't have kids). I got a job within about two weeks of starting to look (I'm an accountant), and my OH got one as an office administrator about a month later. Having said that, the Calgary economy is fairly bouyant (probably more so than some other parts of Canada), so our experience may not be very useful if you're going elsewhere. Also, the Canadians seem to love certificates so make sure you find as many as you can (even going back to O and A levels if you've still got them).

Good luck - Y
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I was 41 when we moved and, like Yandros, was working within a couple of weeks of starting to look for a job.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Over 50, wouldn't do it again but husband would. It's ok but not worth the stress etc.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I was 46 when we moved.... honestly, don't pigeonhole yourself with a number! It means nothing.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slh71
Brilliant thread and just what I was hoping for. Gently reassured that I am not "over the hill". Although I know that the points system has and is changing regarding age etc there would still seem to be hope.

I would be interested to get people's thoughts on the job side of things though. I know that obviously it is going to be the same in Canada as the UK regarding age and employability, together with the added hurdle of immigrant and Canadian experience, but has anyone successfully found employment once they got there rather than having something lined up before hand (if they have gone slightly later in life shall we say).
We moved over on my OH's 46 birthday. We didnt have jobs and I knew I wouldn't be able to work in the same profession (nurse). OH got a job within 6 weeks and I got the first one I appled for after 6 months. I've met some other "mature" expats who have come over with no jobs lined up but have found work.
It's completely natural to have concerns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.