Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reassurance/dose of reality

Reassurance/dose of reality

Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Default Re: Reassurance/dose of reality

I can't speak for the later in life thing, but I can definitely speak up for the job frustrations...I'm a land agent working in pipelines and everyone tells me I should be fine for work in AB. I've been in talks with one company since June last year about an upcoming job in September, which then became November, which then went into a hiring freeze, and here we are in February having been assured two weeks ago that job descriptions were being prepared and would be emailed to me and I've heard nothing. Its incredibly frustrating, and I've now heard they might be in a hiring freeze for 2013 too. I've been applying for almost every suitable job elsewhere for two years now and this was the only company to respond and I now feel like I've been stone-walled. We leave in 12 weeks and the reality of being without a job on arrival is setting in. Fortunately we're being supported by family (i.e living with them) but going from what we have now to relying on someone else is hard to swallow. I'm hopeful something will turn up once we get there..always does!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:41 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

we came over in 2011, mid 30's, two kids, knew about 10 people but only through research and without jobs. I got one within 3 weeks (an accountant), hubby got his after about 3 months but its not the same as his UK profession, its close-ish to it. He was a civilian investigator in the police after being a police officer. He managed to get a constable job at the airport but its not police, just now hes close to getting something like what hes trained for but its been a long haul.

They love education here. Thankfully mine transferred to the Canadian designation. And networking is key.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We made the move midway through our 30s with 3 kids in tow with no job to come to. We knew less than half a dozen people prior to arrival, and had only met them briefly on a research trip 10 months before.
i was exactly the same mid 30s 3 kids no job..only difference was i didn't know anybody at all...what's changed?..obviously im older, still have 3 kids, have a great job...still dont know anybody at all
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:26 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I would say go for it, you only live once
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over at 29. I agree with what JAJ said in that thread - the younger you are, the easier it is.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:52 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slh71

I get the feeling from reading some of posts on here that alot of people are in the 20's/30's when they have/are making the move (wishing I had made the move when I left school now) but I was wondering if there are any who have made the move later in life.
46 years young when we moved

I would advise anyone to at least enjoy life in the UK first, visit as much of Europe and the Eastern block, and generally exhaust all that that side of the globe has to offer. Then when you do move, its no big loss as you should have done it all.

We had never been to the US before we moved, and only visited Canada after i was 40, after exhausting Europe on Bikes in cars and flying on package holidays to her and there.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so much better after finding this forum!

I thought at 39(the BIG 40 this year!),I was pushing it,you know the UK stigma for 40 being old.(I still feel like I am in my twenties!)
With 3 young daughters I also thought 'No chance',but after some research,lots of emails to companies,and 3 phone calls to another company I got a job.
I also have no real savings,and by the time I was about ready to try buy my first home,the house prices rocketed shafting me on that one.

On the phone to my new employer during the phone interview when they asked if I had kids,their ages,and my age I thought 'Oh no,that's that then',you can imagine my face when I heard the top boss say "YES",I was honestly in shock for about 10mns after the call.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:28 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think when you hit your 40's your really starting to come into your prime. It takes time to have the experience to back up the skill and stamina and IMO that's precisely when you have the most to offer. Of course, it depends what your line of work is.
I started the Canada ball rolling in earnest over 3 years ago, now I'm 42 and only just got my LMO approved. So it's never a good time to give up as what your seeking may just be around the corner.
All power to you I say .....if it's in your mind then follow it through.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fabretti18
I think when you hit your 40's your really starting to come into your prime.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

slh71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, you are such a positive lot on here - thank you!

I know that I feel that I have a lot to offer and am definitely up for the challenge of emigrating but it is reassuring to hear all of your stories and how so many of you have been able to make it work after emigrating in your 40s and older.

We lived in Germany for 4 years and used the opportunity to "do" Europe so we know what it is like to live abroad and are definitely ready to start a new chapter.

Fingers crossed now that we can get it to all come together
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:40 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Well, that's what I have to tell myself when I crawl out of my pit in the morning...
Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I was 58 and my partner 42 when we moved over last year... I'm sort of semi-retired (writing and doing consultancy) so haven't needed to find an employer which removes one source of stress I guess. But we found the whole thing very easy and have adjusted well to small-town life. After 9 months (temperatures of 40 degrees giving way to several feet of snow) we wouldn't dream of going back! So I don't think that age matters. Mind you, I think we'd go insane if we had to rely on watching Canadian TV! thank goodness for the internet...