Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Realtor recommendations in Ottawa

Realtor recommendations in Ottawa

Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Ottawaytogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Realtor recommendations in Ottawa

Hi! So excited to have joined the forum after a fair bit of lurking as we're finally, finally moving in spring 2022 from London (UK) to Ottawa - we have had the answer to so many of our early questions from these threads - thank you!

Can anyone recommend a realtor in Ottawa? Would be ideal to have someone who's dealt with expats before so that they are used to what I'm sure will seem like daft questions to a Canadian (my husband is Canadian, but moved to the UK in his teens, so all his adult-Canadian knowledge is limited!)
Old Sep 19th 2021, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Realtor recommendations in Ottawa

Originally Posted by Ottawaytogo
Hi! So excited to have joined the forum after a fair bit of lurking as we're finally, finally moving in spring 2022 from London (UK) to Ottawa - we have had the answer to so many of our early questions from these threads - thank you!.
Can anyone recommend a realtor in Ottawa? Would be ideal to have someone who's dealt with expats before so that they are used to what I'm sure will seem like daft questions to a Canadian (my husband is Canadian, but moved to the UK in his teens, so all his adult-Canadian knowledge is limited!)
I don't think anyone would be brave enough to recommend a real estate agent, especially in Canada. Considering the high commissions they charge the seller (compared to the UK), they all have a degree of self-interest and I am being polite at that. I would just try and go with a reputable company and do your own research. If you are a buyer, there is enough information on the net to help you find what you want before you go to an agent. Otherwise, it is really not that much different to buying a house in the UK. I am sure people on this forum will advise you on locations if you ask. Distances in Canada can be an issue so you need to take this into consideration.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Sep 19th 2021 at 10:19 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 10:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtor recommendations in Ottawa

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
they all have a degree of self-interest and I am being polite at that.
Yes, you absolutely need one but you have to remember that the agent's interest, even a "buyer's agent" is not the same as your interest. They'd like to put you into a suitable home but need you to buy something, anything.