Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Really Confused about getting onto an Apprenticeship in Alberta.

Really Confused about getting onto an Apprenticeship in Alberta.

Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really Confused about getting onto an Apprenticeship in Alberta.

Originally Posted by DazzaP
Reviving this as i need a further bit of assistance. Reading on the apprenticeship website for B.C, they seem to offer on the job training and apprenticeships to immigrants which is promising. I am wondering can I still live and work in Edmonton, whilst being enrolled in an apprenticeship in B.C? There must be some way of making this work. I don't mind changing my move plans to B.C should i need to if it means me ending up with the correct papers.
Cheers
There is a work around, move to BC.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering can I still live and work in Edmonton, whilst being enrolled in an apprenticeship in B.C? There must be some way of making this work.

Apprenticeships are controlled by the provinces and you need to live in a particular province to do an apprenticeship there so no, there is no way of making that work.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

DazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
how can you be enrolled on an apprenticeship in BC if you are in Alberta? Makes no sense.
I thought that maybe because it's still in the same country it could maybe work, saying as the end game is the Red Seal which is recognised in all of Canada (IIRC). Speaking to my contact in Edmonton who was in the same situ as me, he gained work no problem and his employer sent him for a CWB test, which allowed him to work legally as a welder. This may be the way to do it. Still quite confused, i dont want to land and get refused work as i lack the required papers.

Last edited by DazzaP; Aug 24th 2013 at 7:25 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that maybe because it's still in the same country it could maybe work, saying as the end game is the Red Seal which is recognised in all of Canada (IIRC). Speaking to my contact in Edmonton who was in the same situ as me, he gained work no problem and his employer sent him for a CWB test, which allowed him to work legally as a welder. This may be the way to do it. Still quite confused, i dont want to land and get refused work as i lack the required papers.
There are lots of thread on Red Seal.

Red Seal is NOT a certifying body or qualification, the Red Seal is an endorsement of the provincial qualification. You do not sit a Red Seal exam, you sit one set by the province you are an apprentice in, some of which are Red Seal recognised. Not all trades are Red Seal endorsed.

If you can prove 9000 hours (depending on trade) you can challenge the provincial exam.

This is what you need to work in AB, in addition to having a residency permit.
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/exper...e-certificate/
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Seal Clubber is an unknown quantity at this point

Everybody and their granny are trying to get into the Boilermakers in Canada. The money, benefits and outlook are fantastic. your lack of experience will make it very difficult to get a sniff in, though I wish you the very best of luck. I work for an ASME shop in Toronto. Half the welders are gagging to make the switch but are put off with the cost of homes there right now. With the relaxation of rules for skilled workers to enter Canada, it will only become more difficult.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

DazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant future

I understand seal for sure. It seems though that a few people have slipped through the cracks in the system. My contact there has been working as a welder for over a year now and has had his visa extended through the LMO scheme and had his CWB paid for by the company that hired him. He has no welding papers per se, but is on a healthy wage in a seemingly stable job. He has put a word in for me with his firm as there may be an opening in the future.
As for the experience, i've paid for some one-to-one training back here which will get me back up to speed before I head off. Can't hurt anyway!

Cheers for that info Aviator. That's not how i viewed the Red Seal at all so thats interesting info. It seems very different to the UK out there. Like provincial driving licences, provincial qualifications etc which aren't recognised across the whole country. Not like the UK where any licences or quali's is recognised across the board.

Really hope I can find the right job, can't face coming back to this awful country again.