Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The reality of immigrating

Wikiposts

The reality of immigrating

Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:55 am
Just Joined

julievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nice
Default The reality of immigrating

After having read posts where people have been disillusioned by the reality of immigrating to Canada, I wanted to mention my own experience in immigrating. My husband and I, together with a 9 month old and a 2 year immigrated from South Africa to UK 8 years ago.

We have never regretted moving but we went through hell the first year. Basically I felt the experiences that we had moving to the UK are going to be the same experienced in any immigration.

First of all, you must realise that when you move to a new country, basically you don't exist. Your whole financial history that you have in the UK which is actually very valuable, is worthless anywhere else. They don't care if you have a brilliant credit history or no claims bonus in the UK. They don't care much about your work history. You are a non-entity and its so difficult to understand that when you plan to move to a new country. You are like an 18 year old starting out after school for the first time and as a +35 year old, that is very difficult concept to deal with again.

The strain on you and your family is enormous so make sure you have your eyes wide open. Make sure that you have very, very big real reasons for wanting to move and that its not just based on a whim. You don't just carry on where you left off in the UK. Forget it.

The grass is not greener on the other side. The problems are just different from the one's you left behind.

It does take you about 5 years to feel that you are really settled and happy again in your new life, so don't do this lightly.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:24 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of immigrating

I'm tempted to make this a sticky post!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the sticky ()...

For those who immigrate because their partners are Canadian, life can also be challenging from time to time. Whilst you generally have a head-start on integrating with support from family and friends, the truth of the matter is that one of you inevitably has to compromise on where you live. That can put a lot of strain on a relationship if things in Canada are not all rosy. Add in kids, particularly those born in Canada, and life becomes much more complicated. It wise to be sure of your relationship, flexible and adaptable before getting into something.

For my part, I had a big wobble this year, some five and bit years after emigrating. A number of issues, notably lack of career opportunity for me and frustration about the Mrs getting a permanent job, were causing me to reconsider. Now things have improved markedly with a new job for me and a permanent job for the Mrs so we are back on track. It is a level of complexity and emotional turmoil that I never thought I would have to deal with though.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:21 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
To add to the sticky ()...

For those who immigrate because their partners are Canadian, life can also be challenging from time to time. Whilst you generally have a head-start on integrating with support from family and friends, the truth of the matter is that one of you inevitably has to compromise on where you live. That can put a lot of strain on a relationship if things in Canada are not all rosy. Add in kids, particularly those born in Canada, and life becomes much more complicated. It wise to be sure of your relationship, flexible and adaptable before getting into something.

For my part, I had a big wobble this year, some five and bit years after emigrating. A number of issues, notably lack of career opportunity for me and frustration about the Mrs getting a permanent job, were causing me to reconsider. Now things have improved markedly with a new job for me and a permanent job for the Mrs so we are back on track. It is a level of complexity and emotional turmoil that I never thought I would have to deal with though.
I can relate. I wasn't particularly wise about my relationship when I came over. I was young and in love and not thinking about the long term ramifications of it all when I emigrated. It was all going to be great!

Also, when times are tough, you really realise the imbalance when the cradle partner has all his/her friends/family to call on and you don't have your own old friends etc.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I can relate. I wasn't particularly wise about my relationship when I came over. I was young and in love and not thinking about the long term ramifications of it all when I emigrated. It was all going to be great!

Also, when times are tough, you really realise the imbalance when the cradle partner has all his/her friends/family to call on and you don't have your own old friends etc.
Completely agree with this, also it hits home that you have no-one in your "camp" aside from your partner who will feel torn, if there is an issue.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, most of the food is crap and there are no proper pubs.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I'm tempted to make this a sticky post!
I think you should make magnumpi's warning videos a sticky.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:27 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you could just file this under "common sense".

"If you move country, it might not work out..."
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

No secret & nothing new. Common sense. A little cliche. It's been said a million times before.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:57 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I would add that it's a foolish man that underestimates just how bad raccoon piss smells on a newly laid carpet (ironically it is also quite sticky)....
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by cityhog
No secret & nothing new. Common sense. A little cliche. It's been said a million times before.
"Common sense is that which tells us the world is flat."
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I would add that it's a foolish man that underestimates just how bad raccoon piss smells on a newly laid carpet (ironically it is also quite sticky)....
Originally Posted by Oink
"Common sense is that which tells us the world is flat."
Originally Posted by julievonz

The grass is not greener on the other side.
All right then, make that your sticky.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: The reality of immigrating

We should not forget that Canada has an official program for immigration not like the UK...The way Canada adverstises this program as if things are greener on their side. This is especially true for highly educated immigrants whose education and professional experience get high marks during the immigration process BUT once in Canada, you become nobody. You end up spending all your savings, may have to go to their schools again in the hope of finding a job, and (if lucky) getting any job that is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from your qualifications just to live in a survival mode.

So many people feel cheated.....
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:08 pm

I was watching a football match and some cradle mentioned something about putting mustard on the ball, what's that all about? Are they mad?
They also say something about "body English." Apparently its something that goes sideways, do thing they think we're crooked? What a f*****g weird place.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
We should not forget that Canada has an official program for immigration not like the UK...The way Canada adverstises this program as if things are greener on their side. This is especially true for highly educated immigrants whose education and professional experience get high marks during the immigration process BUT once in Canada, you become nobody. You end up spending all your savings, may have to go to their schools again in the hope of finding a job, and (if lucky) getting any job that is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from your qualifications just to live in a survival mode.
Speak for yourself, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.