Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Real Estate & Foreclosure

Real Estate & Foreclosure

Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Real Estate & Foreclosure

Speaking to a local Realtor last week, he advised me that property is selling for regionally 20% under asking price. I've just found a foreclosure (repo) for sale- anybody any ideas how realistically foreclosures are priced and how to get a good deal on them?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estate & Foreclosure

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Speaking to a local Realtor last week, he advised me that property is selling for regionally 20% under asking price. I've just found a foreclosure (repo) for sale- anybody any ideas how realistically foreclosures are priced and how to get a good deal on them?

How long is a piece of string? It will depend upon local market conditions
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Locally? Where a location may make your post a little more relevant , BTW Ottawa market was up again last month.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Be careful in buying a foreclosure. I understand that you buy them with the previous owner in place, and then have to apply for the sheriff to remove them. Whilst this is easy to do, they could trash the place in the interim
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Southcote
Whilst this is easy to do, they could trash the place in the interim
I've heard that it's standard for foreclosure homes to be lacking light fittings, etc - people take whatever they can - I don't blame them.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
I've heard that it's standard for foreclosure homes to be lacking light fittings, etc - people take whatever they can - I don't blame them.
Ha. That's nothing. In Germany people routinely take the kitchen (yes, all of it) and sometimes the bathroom fixtures, let alone the light fittings. This doesn't just apply to foreclosures either.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

ok - thanks one & all. This one is a new home that was never finished. Have to go & view & take it from there I guess.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

ok - thanks one & all. This one is a new home that was never finished. Have to go & view & take it from there I guess.
I guess if it was never finsihed there isn't much to take !
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:03 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
Be careful in buying a foreclosure. I understand that you buy them with the previous owner in place, and then have to apply for the sheriff to remove them. Whilst this is easy to do, they could trash the place in the interim
I suggest this is more the exception than the rule. The mortgagee must have legal ownership before commencing to sell the property under foreclosure. Having been involved in a number of foreclosures over the years I can state with reasonable accuracy the previous owners had already been evicted or had left voluntarily.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:45 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

In Calgary, the courts deal with offers on repro's and if you go in too low then the judge will not accept it,

As for 20% drop from list to selling price. In Cochrane it is around 5% but often you find the sellers have had to drop the list price to get an offer.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
BTW Ottawa market was up again last month.
Don`t know the official Calgary market figures, but prices on new listings seem to be looking up again.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:42 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MB with a foreclosure the original owner has until the transfer of title to pay their mortgage and reclaim their home.

The problem in MB is that title transfer is often 30 days AFTER possession, so if you make any changes to the home during that time you may be asked to return it to as it was, or just lose the money you invested in those changes.

Other than that they are always sold "As is - Where is" so no going back if there are hidden major problems.

Foreclosures here (not that we've had many) have not sold any cheaper than other similar houses.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Here in MB with a foreclosure the original owner has until the transfer of title to pay their mortgage and reclaim their home.

The problem in MB is that title transfer is often 30 days AFTER possession, so if you make any changes to the home during that time you may be asked to return it to as it was, or just lose the money you invested in those changes.

Other than that they are always sold "As is - Where is" so no going back if there are hidden major problems.

Foreclosures here (not that we've had many) have not sold any cheaper than other similar houses.
In the UK repossessed property can be sold at auction. This can mean it's significantly cheaper, but the risks are higher for the purchaser.

Are there property auctions in Canada?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:14 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

Are there property auctions in Canada?

It is legal in most (if not all Provinces) to sell property at auction, though it is rare. The only time I have heard of it was with a Farm. There are complications as an Auctioneer can only perform the actual auction and is not licensed to accept offers or deposits which must be handled by either a Real Estate Broker or a Lawyer. This is all covered by Provincial Real Estate Laws.

Foreclosures and other "distress" sales are normally sold via Realtors, by the Trustees/Courts responsible to the various parties involved.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
It is legal in most (if not all Provinces) to sell property at auction, though it is rare. The only time I have heard of it was with a Farm. There are complications as an Auctioneer can only perform the actual auction and is not licensed to accept offers or deposits which must be handled by either a Real Estate Broker or a Lawyer. This is all covered by Provincial Real Estate Laws.

Foreclosures and other "distress" sales are normally sold via Realtors, by the Trustees/Courts responsible to the various parties involved.
Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't buy a house at auction in the UK, your bid is legally binding and you need to sort out surveys etc before the auction date. You can spend quite a bit of cash with no guarantee you'll get the house or even the funding to get the house. They are typically the reserve of developers and professional landlords rather than your average guy buying a house. Or at least that's my impression of them - I guess the same can be said for them here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.