Reload this Page >

Real Estate Agent Charges

Real Estate Agent Charges

Old May 30th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Real Estate Agent Charges

Hi,

Do Real Estate Agents in Canada charge buyers for their services in finding a property? I was under the impression that agents got their fees from the seller of the property for finding a buyer.

Have been put in touch with an agent for our impending move to Vernon, BC. She is offering her relocation services and when I enquired if there was a fee involved she said that when working with buyers her normal fee is 3.5% of the first 100K then 1.75% on the balance.

Is this normal for a relocation service? I know Frank and Sue at relocation2bc.com in Vancouver offer this service for free.

Cheers,

Roy
Old May 30th 2006, 1:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Real Estate Agent Charges

Originally Posted by glenlivet
Hi,

Do Real Estate Agents in Canada charge buyers for their services in finding a property? I was under the impression that agents got their fees from the seller of the property for finding a buyer.

Have been put in touch with an agent for our impending move to Vernon, BC. She is offering her relocation services and when I enquired if there was a fee involved she said that when working with buyers her normal fee is 3.5% of the first 100K then 1.75% on the balance.

Is this normal for a relocation service? I know Frank and Sue at relocation2bc.com in Vancouver offer this service for free.

Cheers,

Roy
Dunno about the relocation bit but as far as property buying is concerned, realtors get their money from the seller.
Old May 30th 2006, 1:42 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

As far as Real estate the home seller covers all agent costs. The only expense to the buyer is costs for inspections, their legal representation and tests (water etc). Basically as per the UK.

International relocation services for Real Estate is no different and you should not be charged.

Caution, "Relocation Services" can be a very loose term to cover up unqualified businesses or simple "referral fee" middle men who then pass your details to Real Estate companies. In these situations, you are paying for it even if you don't see the money coming directly out of your pocket. Always ensure that you are dealing directly with qualified and licenced agents.

Buyer beware!
Old May 30th 2006, 3:12 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BH PNP
As far as Real estate the home seller covers all agent costs. The only expense to the buyer is costs for inspections, their legal representation and tests (water etc). Basically as per the UK.

International relocation services for Real Estate is no different and you should not be charged.

Caution, "Relocation Services" can be a very loose term to cover up unqualified businesses or simple "referral fee" middle men who then pass your details to Real Estate companies. In these situations, you are paying for it even if you don't see the money coming directly out of your pocket. Always ensure that you are dealing directly with qualified and licenced agents.

Buyer beware!
Good advice, i would like to add that although it's not the "norm" and even frowned upon, realtors can (some lowlifes do) charge the buyer for expenses.
The unscrupulous relocation agents are worse, they charge you for for giving you a name/information that you can get out of the phone book/on a website

Last edited by andy_sheila; May 30th 2006 at 3:15 pm.
Old May 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

when I enquired if there was a fee involved she said that when working with buyers her normal fee is 3.5% of the first 100K then 1.75% on the balance.
Has she actually said that *you* would be paying that though? From what you say it sounds like she was telling you that that's what she'll earn from your purchase, but it'll come from the seller not you.
Old May 30th 2006, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,

Roy
Ask her outright where the 3% & 1.75% is coming from.

Sounds to me like her 'half' of any property deal. There are usually two agents involved - the listing realtor; ie: the one who's selling the property and acting on behalf of the owner, and the buyers realtor, who finds the place and brings you to it. The commission is split equally between the two (in normal circumstances).
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Real Estate Agent Charges

Hi,

And thanks for all your replies. Yes Biiink, you are quite correct. I got an apology from the Real Estate Agent for not explaining the fees correctly. This is what she would be expecting in commisson from the seller of the property. She did point out that in rare occasions when the commission offered by the seller is less than the norm, then the buyer might be approached and a payment might be negotiated but this is not very common. Sounds fair enough.

Cheers,

Roy

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Has she actually said that *you* would be paying that though? From what you say it sounds like she was telling you that that's what she'll earn from your purchase, but it'll come from the seller not you.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

Hi,

Cheers,

Roy

Real Estate Agent make their money off the seller not the buyer in BC most agents charge the seller around 7% which is negotiable. Never should an agent charge a buyer if this agent wants to charge you run and run fast to a different agent and report her to the Real Estate Board for bad ethics.

Island Girl