Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ready for the Storm....

Ready for the Storm....

Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready for the Storm....

I have taken the dog for a walk this morning. It's -30 outside and according to the weather network feels like -41. The dog wanted to come home a block sooner than the norm.

I had on a pair of leggings, a pair of snow pants, a t-shirt, a sweate,r a down filled vest (a really thin one EB800 fill power), my down coat, a scarf and a hat and a hood. I stayed nice and toasty but didn't argue with the dog when he started heading for home

As for block heaters.......On Sat night neither car was plugged in. Hubby started them both eventually on Sun morning, my 2002 Expedition was slow to turn but turned. Hubbies mid '90's Range Rover was very difficult to start. Last night the RR was plugged, both cars have been started this morning no probs. Neither car has synthetic oil this year, but that may change fairly soon - if there is some on offer Oh both cars are parked outside too. When it warms up a bit we will not use the block heater - I suppose. Hopefully next year I'll have a space in one of the garages.......Probably not though
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I have taken the dog for a walk this morning. It's -30 outside and according to the weather network feels like -41. The dog wanted to come home a block sooner than the norm.

I had on a pair of leggings, a pair of snow pants, a t-shirt, a sweate,r a down filled vest (a really thin one EB800 fill power), my down coat, a scarf and a hat and a hood. I stayed nice and toasty but didn't argue with the dog when he started heading for home

As for block heaters.......On Sat night neither car was plugged in. Hubby started them both eventually on Sun morning, my 2002 Expedition was slow to turn but turned. Hubbies mid '90's Range Rover was very difficult to start. Last night the RR was plugged, both cars have been started this morning no probs. Neither car has synthetic oil this year, but that may change fairly soon - if there is some on offer Oh both cars are parked outside too. When it warms up a bit we will not use the block heater - I suppose. Hopefully next year I'll have a space in one of the garages.......Probably not though
My car didnt start in Aberdeen this morning!! It was 4 degrees.

Just ordered myself a jacket for going out boozing in and a wee beanie hat. Progress.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:41 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
My car didnt start in Aberdeen this morning!! It was 4 degrees.

Just ordered myself a jacket for going out boozing in and a wee beanie hat. Progress.
Think of the michelin man and that is what my kids looked liked this morning.
Could only see there eyes

i have never worn a hat before, but at -30 yeah im wearing the hat
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are homeless people as good as dead when the winter sets in then?

What about those walking home pished? Must be a few people catch pneumonia that way.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

What about those walking home pished? Must be a few people catch pneumonia that way.
Most seem to drive home pished. At least they stay warm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:58 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There was a man last year in Red Deer that was walking home and froze to death on the way - drinking was a factor.

If you want a good laugh - putting shoes on dogs for the first time and watch them try to keep all four paws off the gound at the same time

Apparently he'll get used to them and want them on at walkies time
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:00 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

There was a man last year in Red Deer that was walking home and froze to death on the way - drinking was a factor.

If you want a good laugh - putting shoes on dogs for the first time and watch them try to keep all four paws off the gound at the same time

Apparently he'll get used to them and want them on at walkies time
Could we have a video of this
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by moondevil
Could we have a video of this
I'll see what I can do tomorrow
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:34 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Are homeless people as good as dead when the winter sets in then?

Most homeless people survive the winter mainly because of intervention by government/charitable agencies but some do die. Pneumonia is not caused by extreme cold. People living outside in extreme cold and not properly clothed are likely to suffer hypothermia. There are a number of people die each year in Canada from the condition, both homeless and those trapped/caught in unfavourable circumstances.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:52 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Was a bit cold here this morning starting my poor car at 20 below
Attached Thumbnails Ready for the Storm....-snow-041-medium-.jpg  
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

kidmeup is an unknown quantity at this point

i am in sask and have been plugging my car in for the last month.
this is only due to me getting into the habit of doing so!!!!
now i am glad of this habit.
any old extension cord/lead will do but i can recommend you get one thats has a light on it to state it has power coming to it,otherwise you are plugging in to a dead socket.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Our car, an 8-year old Pontiac Shitfire, doesn't have a block heater and has never been parked in a garage. It has never failed to start first time.

I don't see the need for a block heater in the GTA and I don't know of anyone around here that has one.
I think you have properly described your make of car....

We moved from the GTA about 14 years ago to Ottawa and I'd never had a block heater there. One of our cars is on the driveway and that car has a block heater. Most nights when it is below -20 c we plug it in and it warms up faster.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

sugar will become famous soon enoughsugar will become famous soon enough

Could I suggest that you watch your dogs pads in extreme cold they can crack.
Watch the salt and that artificial stuff.
Wash off their feet when they come home as they lick their paws.
Dont keep a puppy/dog out very long in extreme temps, put a coat on him.
I have a dog and find I really have to watch his pads in winter and frostbite on his ears.
I have dog boots to avoid the above but he hates them.
From one dog lover to another.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Our car, an 8-year old Pontiac Shitfire, doesn't have a block heater and has never been parked in a garage. It has never failed to start first time.

I don't see the need for a block heater in the GTA and I don't know of anyone around here that has one.
No block heater experiences here, but, I thought I stick the knife into this car. I hired a ahem, "Sunfire" from Toronto airport a few years back and found it to be the worst car I'd ever driven. Plasticky interior, jerky auto box, engine that had a bag load of torque but was totally gutless. Kind of looked the part (in a boy racer sort of way), but drove like a car from 20 years ago. Leaf spring suspension = Horse and cart technology. Never again. If I owned one I'd be glad if it didn't start; I'd never have to sit in it....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that Kelowna just became snow capital of Canada, i've never seen so much of the white stuff, it just hasn't stopped in over 24 hours.
Have cleared huge amounts from drive and it still keeps coming.
Canada weather says that it is extremely variable with parts of Kelowna only getting 2cm and other parts getting 42cm.

Not bad for the mild Okanagan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.