British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ready for the Storm.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ready-storm-578271/)

Brownstar Dec 12th 2008 9:19 pm

Ready for the Storm....

........thats just hitting Calgary? I went out and finally bought some snow boots and a block heater lead last night in preparation.

The snow started pretty much on the dot here in South Calgary, intreguid as to what -30 actually feels like, and perversely looking forward to it

Cassie 10000 Dec 12th 2008 9:24 pm

Re: Ready for the Storm....

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7062499)
........thats just hitting Calgary? I went out and finally bought some snow boots and a block heater lead last night in preparation.

The snow started pretty much on the dot here in South Calgary, intreguid as to what -30 actually feels like, and perversely looking forward to it

I'm in Edmonton and I think its due to come here as it is going to be -30 tomorrow.

I'm just as intreguid as you at the moment. ;)

DaveLovesDee Dec 12th 2008 9:30 pm

I got stopped walking into Wal-Mart this afternoon. I wasn't wearing a jacket and someone asked me if I was cold.

It was only -6 and I was only walking from the car into the store, and no I wasn't cold.

ann m Dec 12th 2008 9:34 pm

What kind of lead does one need for a blockheater? Can it just be a bog-standard extension type thingie? It doesn't need to be heavy duty, does it? And just "normal" plug bits on either end ?

R I C H Dec 12th 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7062536)
Can it just be a bog-standard extension type thingie? It doesn't need to be heavy duty, does it? And just "normal" plug bits on either end ?

Yep
Nope
Yep

Cassie 10000 Dec 12th 2008 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 7062546)
Yep
Nope
Yep

Very simple and straight to the point answer, Rich.

Brownstar Dec 12th 2008 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7062536)
What kind of lead does one need for a blockheater? Can it just be a bog-standard extension type thingie? It doesn't need to be heavy duty, does it? And just "normal" plug bits on either end ?

I got a specific lead from Canadian Tire, rated down to -40, was on $16.99, same as a similar lenghted normal outdoor lead

R I C H Dec 12th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7062571)
I got a specific lead from Canadian Tire, rated down to -40, was on $16.99, same as a similar lenghted normal outdoor lead

My tractor's been plugged into a normal extension cord each winter, and been fine. I don't know if a -40 rated cord's any more expensive, but in my experience, if it is, don't bother.

Maedros Dec 12th 2008 10:21 pm

In Toronto, on the other hand, temperatures tonight was well above 0, something like 5 to 7ยบ ("Its almost tropical!, I kept hearing on the radio). Around two weeks ago, I was eagerly waiting for a fantastic snow storm over here, and the media kept bombarding people with it, giving advise on how to avoid it. Just light rain came :( When will I see such incredible things! (I know they will come, I know... :) )

woodmanbg Dec 12th 2008 11:19 pm

I remember last winter being in Canadian Tire trying to find an extension cord for the block heater and they just looked at me as if I was mad, now I know any extension lead will do but why couldnt they just say that :)

I also remember when we got our car being told that it already had a block heater fitted. So back home in the garage looking car over we hunted high and low for the lead couldnt find it. Rather red faced we went back to Honda and said excuse me could you just point out where this block heater plug is we cannt find it. 20 minutes later and around four people looking under the hood they announced 'there isnt one'. We didnt feel so bad after that but were rather annoyed at the porkie - error was put right rather hastily by Honda. :)

G77 Dec 12th 2008 11:29 pm

At the risk of invoking debate about "the block heater thread" - at what temperature does one require one? I don't think I even have one, not that I'd know what I was looking for.... but then it only gets down to about -10 here....

Novocastrian Dec 12th 2008 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7062827)
At the risk of invoking debate about "the block heater thread" - at what temperature does one require one? I don't think I even have one, not that I'd know what I was looking for.... but then it only gets down to about -10 here....

Don't mention block heaters!!!!!!

Cassie 10000 Dec 12th 2008 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7062879)

I heard the other day it can get heated regarding this subject :lol:

Brownstar Dec 12th 2008 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7062827)

According to the locals here at temps below -15, you don't necessarily need to use it but the idea is that it helps you engine to have some warmth and there for start easier and do less damage.

Having a mechanical engineering background I would advise erring on the side of caution and use one rather than not use one.

purple80 Dec 12th 2008 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7062879)

They haven't been mentioned for a while, just think of all the people who don't know the answer, and don't know about that thread....

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 (Post 7062881)
I heard the other day it can get heated regarding this subject :lol:

:rofl: