Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Read the Wiki... Still stumped

Wikiposts

Read the Wiki... Still stumped

Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:09 am
Just Joined

iwalsh has a spectacular aura aboutiwalsh has a spectacular aura aboutiwalsh has a spectacular aura about
Default Read the Wiki... Still stumped

Hi, first post here. Been mulling over emigrating for a while now, but have finally decided to take the plunge.

I'll give a bit of background. Currently work in IT as an ecommerce developer for a bank building their online banking apps. Coming with me would be my wife who is degree educated and training as a teacher and kids 14,13 and 5.

I've gone through the wiki and I'm still confused. I guess the first question is where do I start? From what I've read I need to gain some sort of employment to get a visa. That sounds really difficult from a few thousand miles away, so how do people actually go about finding a job. But beyond finding a job, what else can I do upfront so I can get the ball rolling? Do I need to contact an emigration agent or can you do it yourself.

Apologies for the rambling.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:16 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read the Wiki... Still stumped

Hi Ian and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Canada can be found here.

I'm normally found in the Oz section but it's part of my job to see that new posters are welcomed. So I can't help with your question but on recent form, someome will be along to help.

Any problems with the site, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:24 am
Just Joined

iwalsh has a spectacular aura aboutiwalsh has a spectacular aura aboutiwalsh has a spectacular aura about

Thats probably one of the friendliest welcomes I've had on a forum. Appreciated.

The other option was Oz, as the wife has two brothers over there (one in Brisbane and the other Adelaide) but I personally like the idea of seasons.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:29 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwalsh
Thats probably one of the friendliest welcomes I've had on a forum. Appreciated.

The other option was Oz, as the wife has two brothers over there (one in Brisbane and the other Adelaide) but I personally like the idea of seasons.
Adelaide will give you seasons, sort of. Once you adjust to summer heat, the "mild" winter feels damned cold, especially this year. There are ski slopes in Australia. I didn't know that until I got here.

And thank you for your thank you. Sue, our administrator had the idea of concierges and we like to think that the system is working well.

I lived in New Jersey many moons ago and they were REAL seasons!

Best of luck, wherever you go!

Alistair.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. I cannot explain it much differently to this and associated links:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration and this http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...uctions-Canada

In short, your job is on the list of 29, you don't need a job offer, it's not, you need a job offer. Many go the work permit route, which needs a job offer and positive LMO. Easiest way to get jobs is to come to Canada and visit potential employers. Convince them you are better than Canadians and they should hire you.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to BE

I'm a systems engineer with 20+ years Wintel experience, specializing in MS & Linux virtualization, sql, iis and infrastructure.

Finding work here for me was difficult, I tried on and off for 2 years, then after being rejected for PR, it took me a further 300+ job applications to get 1 interview, and the company isn't Canadian but based in NYC.

My realistic view is that unless you have specific skills in high demand, you may find securing a job difficult. Not only that, but Canadian employers don't seem to like to employ people without Canadian experience, never-mind somebody who doesn't have a work permit.

Not to say it's not do-able, because I did it.

Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:36 am
Just Joined

I guess that's what concerns me. How did you interview for your job?

I don't want to fill the thread with technical mumbo jumbo but I'm pretty much asp.net, c#, sql server etc so not something that couldnt easily be filled by a qualified canadian. BTW, you missing Harrogate, I'm off to fountains abbey at the weekend.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to fill the thread with technical mumbo jumbo but I'm pretty much asp.net, c#, sql server etc so not something that couldnt easily be filled by a qualified canadian.
Any employer would have to demonstrate they tried to hire a Canadian and if unsuccessful show HRSDC before an LMO was issued. Do you have a basis for saying it could not easily be filled by a Canadian resident?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Any employer would have to demonstrate they tried to hire a Canadian and if unsuccessful show HRSDC before an LMO was issued. Do you have a basis for saying it could not easily be filled by a Canadian resident?
That was probably more down to my bad english and double negatives. I was saying it could be filled by a canadian.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I don't want to fill the thread with technical mumbo jumbo but I'm pretty much asp.net, c#, sql server etc so not something that couldnt easily be filled by a qualified canadian. BTW, you missing Harrogate, I'm off to fountains abbey at the weekend.
Nope not missing H'gate at all

I've interviewed twice from the UK, 1st Victoria, then Halifax/NYC, both times I was interviewed with 5 people right up to the VP of the company. Each interview lasting anything from 1.5 to 2 hours. Thankfully they rang me :-)

This is important statement

'not something that couldnt easily be filled by a qualified canadian'

because your prospective employer will have to prove they couldn't fill the prospective vacancy with a Canadian, which seems unlikely.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

yeh sounds like a real creep
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any idea where in Canada you would like to be? I ask this, because some provinces have a Community Identified Stream, this can be used for those who cant use FSW, and does not require a job offer but there is other criteria.
We are using this route, we came out for a recce to Nova Scotia and made lots of contacts which is useful for your recce anyway. You need to network alot for this route.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:07 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

The other option of course might be to head to Canada to study for a program lasting at least 2 years. Of course, with this route you'd need to have funds to pay for the program and to keep you living, so hardly an easy choice.

However, as things stand at the moment you can get an open work permit lasting the same time as your program of study (min. 8 month, max. 3 years) after you graduate. Once you then have 2 years study + 1 year work you can easily apply under the Canadian Experience class for PR and some provincial programs too.

Though such is the nature of immigration that any of this could change at any moment. But, if you are at least interested in studying, even if things did change it'd allow you to experience Canada for a while, and some other route may pop-up.