Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rate a resume please.

Rate a resume please.

Old Apr 12th 2014, 1:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rate a resume please.

Jsmth321
Address Here
Phone Here

RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:

Communication & People Skills:
** Consistently maintain a positive attitude and enjoy helping people.
** Accurately record, remember, and verbally communicate detailed information.
** Exceptional command of the English language with strong written and transcription skills.
** Cooperatively work with others to produce and deliver required work.

Organization & Time Management:
** A problem solver who quickly grasps complex situations and turns them into manageable tasks.
** Produce quality work even when under extreme time pressure and deadlines.
** Proven ability to understand and follow complex instructions to successful conclusions.

Technical and Computer Skills:
** Accurate and rapid keyboarder.
** Work with technical vocabularies from a variety of fields.
** Proficient in Microsoft Office such as Word, and Excel.
** Experience with Property Management Systems.

Regulatory and Safety:
** Experienced working in a highly regulated and safety oriented environment.
** Experienced in safely operating company vehicles.
** Experience working around heavy equipment such as aircraft, and ground equipment.

EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
** Guest Service Training, 2010-2011
** Emergency First Responder Training, 2004
** Customer Service Training. 2003
** Airline Operations training.
** Bonita Vista High School, Grade 12 Diploma, 1993-1997

WORK HISTORY
** Employer 1 Dates of employment.
** Employer 2
** Employer 3
** Employer 4
** Employer 5

This is my resume in its current life. I removed names of employers for privacy issues, but the format where the employer would be is the same, and I have removed my schools names, but the format is the same.

Name and address isn't there, but its on the reason on, top and in the center.

I've only used this 1 once, so not sure how effective its going to be, but I am always looking for jobs, so gotta have a resume at the ready...
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rate a resume please.

I am not up to date nor in Canada so I don't really know, but the skills look rather generic - shouldn't they be specifically tied to jobs or training you have done? Someone more knowledgeable will come along.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:51 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

As Sally said you want to tailor your resume to suit the role
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:12 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Do you plan on expanding on the work history....generic skills section looks way to long and work history looks too short.

I have some resume handouts from courses i have done in Canada which i can send you. This includes some samples. Just PM me.

I will say i didn't find a resume much different to a CV, rather the key to a successful resume is how you present the data. This is more important when you have experience/qualifications from outside Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

A resume should be tailored to the job you're chasing.

Your task is to convince an employer that you can make them more money than they will have to pay out to employ you.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:07 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591

I have some resume handouts from courses i have done in Canada which i can send you. This includes some samples. Just PM me.
I found these very useful when I was doing my resume(s) - would recommend contacting JB0591
Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Had my resume done by an employment agency.
The lady said short & straight to the point, you have to catch the employers eye in an average of 6 seconds, if not it's put in the bin.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am not up to date nor in Canada so I don't really know, but the skills look rather generic - shouldn't they be specifically tied to jobs or training you have done? Someone more knowledgeable will come along.
This is what the government job search office came up with when I took a job search and resume writing class with them last fall.

Its rather generic as my education, skills and work experience is generic, I have no unique skills or abilities in the work force.

They told me to focus on skills part and only briefly mention the employers as I have such a spotty work record, the lady at the government program said it was best to not draw attention there.

I for the life of me can't seem to write a good resume, so I rely on the free government offices with their classes to help me.

I do slightly change things when needed, but this is basically what I do at the hotel, nothing fancy and pretty generic in general, anyone can do my job, takes no special skills or training.

I do have a 100% dedicated airline resume, and it has gotten me interviews and offers, but I am not going to load planes for min. wage, so I did turn those down since I am employed and no reason to take a pay cut and commute 90 minutes one way.

I did have some formal training in 2004, basic first aid, CPR/ AED but its long since expired, and I can't remember how to do any of it, so its not a skill anymore..

Other then that my education was just grade 12 diploma.

Back to the employer section, I have had more employers then I can recall in the past 10 years, some for a few days, some a few weeks, and my current job at 6 months is the longest since 2003, so my work record isn't something I like to spotlight if I can avoid it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 12th 2014 at 11:42 am.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This is what the government job search office came up with when I took a job search and resume writing class with them last fall.

Its rather generic as my education, skills and work experience is generic, I have no unique skills or abilities in the work force.

They told me to focus on skills part and only briefly mention the employers as I have such a spotty work record, the lady at the government program said it was best to not draw attention there.

I for the life of me can't seem to write a good resume, so I rely on the free government offices with their classes to help me.

I do slightly change things when needed, but this is basically what I do at the hotel, nothing fancy and pretty generic in general, anyone can do my job, takes no special skills or training.

I do have a 100% dedicated airline resume, and it has gotten me interviews and offers, but I am not going to load planes for min. wage, so I did turn those down since I am employed and no reason to take a pay cut and commute 90 minutes one way.

I did have some formal training in 2004, basic first aid, CPR/ AED but its long since expired, and I can't remember how to do any of it, so its not a skill anymore..

Other then that my education was just grade 12 diploma.

Back to the employer section, I have had more employers then I can recall in the past 10 years, some for a few days, some a few weeks, and my current job at 6 months is the longest since 2003, so my work record isn't something I like to spotlight if I can avoid it.
In the jobs you have done though, can you not highlight what skills you actually used? That will mean a lot more than listing them with no context.

I think your mindset is focusing on what you don't have - you need to switch that around. You've done six solid months in this job, so tell them about it and what you can bring.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
In the jobs you have done though, can you not highlight what skills you actually used? That will mean a lot more than listing them with no context.

I think your mindset is focusing on what you don't have - you need to switch that around. You've done six solid months in this job, so tell them about it and what you can bring.
I can and I tried and in part how I got this resume...lol

As a night auditor this is what I do:

I count 400 float.

Print 100 pages of reports.

Transfer select data from those reports into an excel sheet.

Verify cash from the liquor store, and prepare the deposit slip.

I also assist guests when needed, and random odd jobs like dusting, vacuuming, dealing with issues that may arise in the night, but the above is the core of what I do.

My issue is I just don't know what is really a skill and what not.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

That's an issue for many. Something that's a valuable skill for one employer might be useless for another, or worse.

For example, a particularly honest and compassionate slant to your personality might be an asset while working for the Citizens' Advice Bureau. But a job as a direct marketing salesperson would probably be a fiasco.

Always tailor your resume and story to the job you're chasing. Also, try to find out what the employer is _really_ looking for. Don't assume. In many cases, the job ad doesn't tell the whole story.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
That's an issue for many. Something that's a valuable skill for one employer might be useless for another, or worse.

For example, a particularly honest and compassionate slant to your personality might be an asset while working for the Citizens' Advice Bureau. But a job as a direct marketing salesperson would probably be a fiasco.

Always tailor your resume and story to the job you're chasing. Also, try to find out what the employer is _really_ looking for. Don't assume. In many cases, the job ad doesn't tell the whole story.
Sometimes I wish they would just add some info to the ads, some are so sparse its hard to even tell what they want exactly other the the position and what company its at.

I understand tailoring to career specific jobs, but since i am not applying for anything specific, just dropping off resumes, not sure how to do it since I don't exactly know what i am applying for, just the company.

i am just lousy in a competitive job market I suppose.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can and I tried and in part how I got this resume...lol

As a night auditor this is what I do:

I count 400 float.

Print 100 pages of reports.

Transfer select data from those reports into an excel sheet.

Verify cash from the liquor store, and prepare the deposit slip.

I also assist guests when needed, and random odd jobs like dusting, vacuuming, dealing with issues that may arise in the night, but the above is the core of what I do.

Working on your own initiative.

Responsibily for handling cash, preparing deposit slips, extracting data from reports and transferring this to an audit using Excel (I don't know the correct accounting terminology).

Dealing with guests' enquiries and providing solutions to any problems in an efficient and courteous manner.

Handling any issues arising during the night such as...