Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Range cooker in Canada?

Range cooker in Canada?

Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Range cooker in Canada?

We have a Maytag double oven in a 30" cooking stove. The top oven isn't full size though and the entire died in is pretty crappy as is the function. If you really want a good double oven and range pay the dosh and get a good non North American made one.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ditto.
Sometimes I have to work around watching the footie on the telly but it's easy enough to do bits and pieces before kick off and at half time or just eat a bit late. Occasionally I'll ask MIL to put something on at whatever time. Or if it's a really big game and I don't want to keep missing bits or possible extra time, I'll ask MIL to cook. Or order half price pizza from Domino's.

MIL and the stepkids have been converted. If we don't have a roast type dinner on a Sunday, stepdaughter especially misses it.

yes ......... our daughter has converted her husband to the Sunday roast, although they usually cook it on the BBQ outside even in winter unless it is deep in snow. I gather that is easier that cooking it in the oven if you buy a propane BBQ, not the charcoal burning one that we prefer Plus he can cook a roast on the BBQ, but is not good cooking one in the oven.

She's even converted him to eating cold roast meat, even if it is only for the lunch box he takes to work.

We had roast ham (on the bone, of course ) for dinner last night; cold roast ham with Greek roast potatoes tonight; and there' enough for another meal tomorrow night ............. so we're real old school English Sunday roast people
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We have a Maytag double oven in a 30" cooking stove. The top oven isn't full size though and the entire died in is pretty crappy as is the function. If you really want a good double oven and range pay the dosh and get a good non North American made one.

Why not go for an Aga??

They only cost about $10,000 here
Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

I had to have a bit of a chuckle reading this. My Ilve range (90cm + 60cm electric ovens; 2 gas wok burners; 3 normal gas burners and gas flat top) cost more than an entry level small car in Australia! You northerners have it pretty good...

Seriously though, some of this is weighing on my mind for our move to Canada in due course. Having had many years of very efficient and multi option cooking on my Ilve (eg, I can choose between fan or non fan oven cooking; timed oven cooking; pure fan; fan plus top and or bottom elements, I'll have to learn to cope with lesser facilities at first. I do a lot of home cooking of everything under the sun (I prefer home made things).

A lot of friends here are switching to induction hobs. I've had a go on them and am in two minds. On the plus side they are terrific for high energy (boiling) and low energy (very low simmers - way better than gas, IMO). I've struggled with precision cooking on them though (eg, scrambled eggs, omelettes). That may just reflect my inexperience with them.

PS: I LOVE a Sunday roast!