Reload this Page >

Quite a few questions!

Quite a few questions!

Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

joestella28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quite a few questions!

Hello again,

My girlfriend and I are looking at moving to Canada and as you would expect have a few questions.

Firstly, my girlfriend would be able to enter Canada under the Skilled Workers Program being a fully qualified Pharmacist. Myself on the other hand do not qualify as a skilled worker. I have a degree (BSc Business Management) but have little work experience as I only graduated this summer. I have been working full time for a company that deals directly with Canada (Hydropool UK) but the UK arm is owned and operated as an English company (a bit of a shame). So my first question is as follows; If my gf is the lead applicant and I come with on the grounds of being a common law partner can I seek any work (as long as the employer has advertised the position to Canadians but cannot find a suitable applicant) or could I only seek employment if I to were a skilled worker?

Secondly, if I move over with my gf (again on the grounds of being common law partners) can we apply both apply for PR at the same time or does my gf have to do it first and then sponsor me?

Once a permanent resident, can I then seek any employment or do the same rules apply as mentioned above?

On the subject of house buying etc; What sort of down payment would we be looking at considering we don't have a house in the UK but on what ever a Pharmacist earns + what ever I can get (which should be at least 100k combined).

I know it's a lot of questions to be asking, hopefully some of you will be able to help us out

Kind Regards,

Joe + Kayleigh.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:24 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: Quite a few questions!

Hi joestella28...

Try this link for some of your answers...all the best

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Hmmm.

My gf is an occupational therapist and was on last year's skill shortage list. She is the principal applciant and I am the spousal applicant. What you as the spusal applicant do for a living is almost unimportant though you will score additional points for having a degree education. You are free to work as whatever you please, as indeed is she if she subsequently decides to do somethign other than pharmacy once PR is awarded.

Home buying - as a first time buyer up to a level you may qualify for avoidance of the Canadian equivalent of stamp duty depending on the province. If you have less than 25% deposit you end up paying a premium as insurance against default - their equivalent of mortgage insurance which I believe is a legal requirement and underwritten by the govt.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of you can work until you get PR or a temp work permit (i.e. find a job where the employer is willing to deal with this)

You will get PR the same time as your gf if you are the common law spouse on her application.

Once you have PR, you can live and work here legally regardless of what your gf does.