Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quinte or Niagara Region?

Quinte or Niagara Region?

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quinte or Niagara Region?

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Your friends are not from Colchester are they????? Um well what is wrong with Marmora, well most of it is NOrth of the IQ line...Marmara has a bad reputation for welfare bums, druggies, and well just plain useless...NOT ALL of them.... I lived there very briefly and I was none of the above...Marmora is just sorta the scab of Hastings county...and the butt of all our jokes...Marmora was a booming town when the mines were open, but since it closed down, well there really isn't alot there....

And before anyone attacks me on my statements about Marmora, I went to school there all my life, and lived 10 miles away, I speak from experience...

There is so much property for sale in the Quinte area, nice places in the country with a bit of land...maybe not as convenient as living in town, but peaceful, quiet and breath taking.....we still have our house in the country there and look forward to returning home...
No, not Colchester. How come you are here in Essex now and when are you going back to Canada?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

the book store that was there is gone and now a bakery.
Coulters became WestWing books, but its still there. I think it just moved around to Front street into a bigger space. Its next to Masons now, at least it was there yesterday when I drove by

Unfortunately its harder and harder to compete with Belleville and the mall now, a few businesses have closed. The shoe shop has closed, and my wife said the lovely V&S store was carrying a lot less stock. Still, we still have our own village chocolatier!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
No, not Colchester. How come you are here in Essex now and when are you going back to Canada?
My husband is English and when we married it was easier to move here...when he retires in 4 yrs, we are moving back to Springbrook...As much as I am enjoying my life in Essex, I miss the peace and quiet of my country home...with no neighbours, can walk to the mail box butt naked if I wanted too.

Seems the only consistant thing in Stirling is the BOM and the post office...oh and Cooney's griss mill on the end of Mill St.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is English and when we married it was easier to move here...when he retires in 4 yrs, we are moving back to Springbrook...As much as I am enjoying my life in Essex, I miss the peace and quiet of my country home...with no neighbours, can walk to the mail box butt naked if I wanted too.

Seems the only consistant thing in Stirling is the BOM and the post office...oh and Cooney's griss mill on the end of Mill St.
Dont forget the LCBO

Even Cooneys is now the Stirling Feed and Seed, but they are nice folks and load the big bags of sunflower seed and corn (for the turkeys) into the car for you
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont forget the LCBO

Even Cooneys is now the Stirling Feed and Seed, but they are nice folks and load the big bags of sunflower seed and corn (for the turkeys) into the car for you
tell BOB hi from Essex...

Do the retired farmers still hang out there? I used to live cross the road from the Feed and Seed an boy are those ole boys nosey lol,,,,

oh the LCBO wasn't always there, I remember when Stirling was dry, no skin off my A** I don't drink, remember had to go in there once for an aunt, my mom dropped me off and left me there, I was so embarrassed I could have crawled over the fence to the apartments behind it...every one knew us and knew we were not drinkers, so I did get some strange looks....
doesn't take much to get the ole gossip rollin lol
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Canucklehead is an unknown quantity at this point

Canucklehead:
You have made me so homesick, the times we skated on the Mill Pond in Stirling....swimming at Oak Lake....I remember when Stirling didn't have that one traffic light in it.....
Every time I go home tho, things sure have changed, as per any small town the book store that was there is gone and now a bakery, or the sports store is now a dental office....

But ya gotta go with the times eh....
Ah...swimming at the lake after riding our bikes up Oak Hill then speeding down late afternoon at breakneck speed. I remember before the lights as well...had the stop signs at Mill Street and North Street...the local speed demons would burn their tires in the Dairy Bar (now Becker's) parking lot then roar along Front Street...the sounds of summer!!!

The village has changed a lot over the years....the ice rink used to be on Henry Street in a quanset hut...the changing rooms were rank... the only place you could buy a drink was the Legion or LCBO...I could go on and on but dinner beckons.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh my gosh I was exhausted going up those Oak Hills, but the ride down was just as scarey...was terrified I would fall off infront of a car.....

And the ole dairy bar yeahhhh.....

oh the memories of childhood....now I am depressed lol