Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick silly question!

Quick silly question!

Old May 11th 2012, 10:15 am
Just Joined

jadielane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick silly question!

Hi guys, haven't been on this forum for a little while, my last appearance was telling you my plans for my mum & I's emigration hopes and about our recce trip.

Our recce trip has now come around, we go in pretty much exactly a month. We're off to Hamilton, Ontario but whilst we're there, our relative is taking us over the US border to Buffalo and we might do a bit of shopping etc.

Anyway, I was scouring the web last night to find something called an ESTA ( or a Visa Waiver Program??). Apparently if you are crossing the border for less than 90 days you have to have one of these ESTA's along with your passport.

Would me and my mum really need one of these if we're only going for half a day at least ? Or does anyone know anything about the whole 'going across the border if you're a Brit' scenario ?

I have been across before, but not since I was 8, and that was 12 years ago so I'm certain it may have changed.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be so grateful!

P.S- I am only travelling with my mum, I'm 20, but I have a letter typed up from my Dad, stating he gives permission for me to enter the States with my mum, etc and it is signed by him and a witness.

Thanks.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick silly question!

You don't need the ESTA if you're going by road. At the border you pay US$6 each for a visa waiver which is stapled into your passport. On the way back you hand that in to the Canadian border official.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't need the ESTA if you're going by road. At the border you pay US$6 each for a visa waiver which is stapled into your passport. On the way back you hand that in to the Canadian border official.
You're a star! Thank you!
Old May 11th 2012, 10:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadielane
You're a star! Thank you!
np. Went shopping in Buffalo with someone using a British passport this past weekend. You'll want to have $12US cash, perhaps also some more for the shops.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Thank you- that's really helpful. I will be sure to get $12US beforehand! And you just hand in the visa waiver on the way back into Canada, right?
Old May 11th 2012, 10:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jadielane
And you just hand in the visa waiver on the way back into Canada, right?
Yes. It's valid for three months so, if you're going multiple times you can keep it and use it again but, you must hand it in the last time so unless you're sure that you're going again, it's probably best just to get rid of it.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Ah, ok. Thank you. I shall remember that!
Old May 11th 2012, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

So what's the deal with shopping trips then? Are they likely to stop you and see what you bought? Is there a spend limit?
Old May 11th 2012, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
So what's the deal with shopping trips then? Are they likely to stop you and see what you bought? Is there a spend limit?
There's no spending limit but there are duty free allowances, currently $400 each, soon to be $800, for two nights, gone and limits on alcohol and tobacco. Beyond that, bring as much as you like, it may still be cheaper even if you pay the tax on it. For example, a Zin sold at the LCBO for $19.95 is $11 in Buffalo, if you're a big Zin consumer, it's probably worth the bother of stopping at the border and paying the tax on a case. Some Cotes du Rhone are less than half the LCBO price in the US.

They are very likely to want to know what you bought. One should have receipts for the goods and for the hotel (if claiming to have been gone overnight) to hand.

Some things are much cheaper, dog food, drywall, tyres, bathroom fixtures and fittings stand out. Some things are not available in Canada, fashionable clothing, for example. Other things aren't noticeably cheaper, decorative rosettes for trimming doors and windows are an example; only worth buying if you're there anyway.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
It also depends on if you are a resident of Canada or not re personal exemptions.
This brochure sets out the limits for residents of Canada
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5056-eng.html

New limits set to go into effect on 1 June providing the recent Budget Bill is passed which it probably will.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It also depends on if you are a resident of Canada or not re personal exemptions.
This brochure sets out the limits for residents of Canada
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5056-eng.html

New limits set to go into effect on 1 June providing the recent Budget Bill is passed which it probably will.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Br...841/story.html

Is the newspaper article accurate about

What you can buy: Generally, any grocery items bought for personal use are duty- and tax-free upon return to Canada, regardless of how long you’ve been away. That said, you might have trouble trying to bring three 20-pound turkeys back. Crossbordershopping.ca is a useful website with info on allowances and links to Canada Border Services Agency rules.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...#ixzz1uZ0gBqjF

I always thought that a brief say 1 or 2 hour trip across the border allowed nothing to be brought back other than a full tank of petrol?
Old May 11th 2012, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Br...841/story.html

Is the newspaper article accurate about

What you can buy: Generally, any grocery items bought for personal use are duty- and tax-free upon return to Canada, regardless of how long you’ve been away. That said, you might have trouble trying to bring three 20-pound turkeys back. Crossbordershopping.ca is a useful website with info on allowances and links to Canada Border Services Agency rules.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...#ixzz1uZ0gBqjF

I always thought that a brief say 1 or 2 hour trip across the border allowed nothing to be brought back other than a full tank of petrol?
If you have been absent for less than 24 hours there is no personal exemption full stop.
When you go grocery shopping (food items not cleaning supplies, tires, sheets and dishes etc etc think Costco) do you pay GST, PST/HST on those items? If the answer is yes then you will pay them at the border.
Duties are not GST, PST etc it is a duty and if items are manufactured in the US then only the duty portion is free but items bought can still be subject to the GST, PST etc.
A CBSA officer isnt usually bothered about 30 or 40 dollars worth of groceries being brought back but there are those out there who push the limits.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you have been absent for less than 24 hours there is no personal exemption full stop.
When you go grocery shopping (food items not cleaning supplies, tires, sheets and dishes etc etc think Costco) do you pay GST, PST/HST on those items? If the answer is yes then you will pay them at the border.
Duties are not GST, PST etc it is a duty and if items are manufactured in the US then only the duty portion is free but items bought can still be subject to the GST, PST etc.
A CBSA officer isnt usually bothered about 30 or 40 dollars worth of groceries being brought back but there are those out there who push the limits.
Thanks..that cleared it up. The article I quoted made it seem like it is a free for all at the border with items purchased.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

We spend around $400 per month on US groceries, and never (touch wood) have any problems coming back into Canada.

It could be that they divide the $400 by the 5 family members, so it's not a great amount per person, or that the border crossing we usually use is being renovated and they can't be arsed with the hassle.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolstie
We spend around $400 per month on US groceries, and never (touch wood) have any problems coming back into Canada.

It could be that they divide the $400 by the 5 family members, so it's not a great amount per person, or that the border crossing we usually use is being renovated and they can't be arsed with the hassle.
Are you talking about Ogdensburg/Prescott?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.