Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Old May 7th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
if you have $10 in your pocket and you see something for $10..you will end up paying more than $10 when you get to the till.
Best advice!

I was really confused after I'd counted out all my weird canadian money the first time I went to buy something and they charged me more than what I'd prepared!
Old May 7th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Its generally cheaper in Canada I found. USA is a bigger market and its next door so electronic goods will be a little cheaper.

I bought a Macbook pro in Calgary and tax was only 5%. The equivalent here in the UK cost a lot more.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Thanks all,

Useful info. Hubby is dead set against a mac but thanks for info anyway. He's mad keen on gaming and a mac has limited choice of games and you can't fiddle around with a mac as you can a pc (his words, not mine....I'm clueless)

Is tax 13% on all shopping, whether food, clothes, electricals etc etc?
You can bootcamp a mac and run Windows and Mac OS.

If you check their refurbed macs for sale on their website you could find a deal.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

jumping in a bit late now but I believe Apple has a pricing structure in place to make their products the same price throughout the world. There might be little differences with exchange rates fluctuating and tax prices (i.e if you buy tax free etc) but most of the time you will find products the same.

Saying that I used to work at Futureshop and there was always a ton of Apple computers returned so you can buy them open box for a nice discount..I would highly recommend doing this, I did it and its as if buying new but with no plasitc seal. There is little to 0% mark up on Apple products either so they often sell open box products to you at a loss, it costs them more having them in the inventory.

Generally if you want a cheap laptop thats not Apple branded (i.e Acer) it will be cheaper here in Canada, follow their flyers and website as they often have sales. Ive seen very basic 15 inch Acers start at $279.99.

Last edited by exenglishman; May 8th 2012 at 2:47 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
You can bootcamp a mac and run Windows and Mac OS.

If you check their refurbed macs for sale on their website you could find a deal.
Bootcamp works very well. But why tarnish your nice Mac's hard drive
Old May 8th 2012, 3:15 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on a refurbished Mac

Buy a Mac and only buy it from the Apple store by scrolling down to the Special Deals area under "refurbished". The refurbished Mac's are the cheapest price you will get anywhere - trust me, I did a lot of research into it with looking into Future Shop, Costco, London Drugs, etc.

Don't worry about it being refurbished as they come with the exact same one year warranty as the all the other ones. I've bought three laptops and several Ipods this way and have never had any issues.

Mac's are so much the way to go for personal use.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

This is taken straight from Apples website:

UK Price for 21.5" iMac is 999 GBP ($1606 CAD)

CAD Price $1199.
Each Province has difference tax rates but even here in NS where we get screwed over with 15%, the price is still only $1379.
In Alberta, where GST is 5%, it's $1259.

As I said, Apple products are much cheaper here in Canada than in the UK.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I have bought 2 macs over the last 7 years and on both occasions the ca v uk price has been about the same

looking briefly at the apple store website, cheapest MBP is £999, whereas the CA price is $1249CAD but the UK price includes tax so they are about the same

You might of course get a blow out sale in best buy!
How much tax are you paying? 13% (HST payable in Ontario) takes the Canadian price to $1411.37, current exchange rates take the UK price to $1615. Seems like a decent enough difference to me!

I agree, if you're buying apple, go for refurbished or open box. Warranties are still intact either way. At least they were with my ipod.

For other brands, there's generally a sale on something somewhere most weeks , Future Shop, Best Buy (same company), Staples, The Source.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:57 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Mac's are so much the way to go for personal use.
Why?

I see no significant advantage to buying a Mac other than saying you have a Mac?
Mac software is overpriced and hardware is overpriced for what it actually does,
The only plus for Apple products is that if you have a list of Apple products such as iphones, ipads and AppleTV its integrates well… other than that you paying a lot for a brand image…
Old May 8th 2012, 5:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Why?

I see no significant advantage to buying a Mac other than saying you have a Mac?
Mac software is overpriced and hardware is overpriced for what it actually does,
The only plus for Apple products is that if you have a list of Apple products such as iphones, ipads and AppleTV its integrates well… other than that you paying a lot for a brand image…
Agree completely, Apple control the prices, consequently are over priced compared to PCs, the only real difference is maybe some visual design appearances. There is more PC software than Mac, it is updated more frequently (other than graphics software, which PC and Mac are about the same). The only Apple product I like is the ipad, it is a great tool to use my new GPS software on as it is also touch screen, same as my Garmin GTN750.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:54 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
Agree completely, Apple control the prices, consequently are over priced compared to PCs, the only real difference is maybe some visual design appearances. There is more PC software than Mac, it is updated more frequently (other than graphics software, which PC and Mac are about the same). The only Apple product I like is the ipad, it is a great tool to use my new GPS software on as it is also touch screen, same as my Garmin GTN750.
Agreed, another reason why we won't be purchasing a MAC....sorry but I hate the iPad, which I'm using to type this message. In my opnion it's an overpriced piece of crud that doesn't have flash player or usb socket....and typing on it is frustrating to say the least. My son received it as a gift from grandparents but it's been passed to me because he'd rather use his PC.....it ain't the apple of my eye.....
Old May 8th 2012, 6:07 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Why?
Viruses, trojans, etc.

I'm on a PC for work every day and for engineering and the programs we run, it's the way to go and 'cus I know my way around one I use to have a PC at home for home use. As the kids got older, they each had PC's 'cus I knew more about them but with surfing the net, I starting spending way too much time fixing them. And yes you can all the greatest anti-virus software like we do at work but they still get in.

I decided to try Mac's for my teenage daughters first, yes they were pricey but in the three years they've had them, I haven't had one problem with them. I've been on a Mac myself for two years for personal use, surfing, downloading, photo editing, website construction, etc. and I've never had a problem and I haven't come across anything that I can't do on a Mac that I could on a PC. For the record, most of the guys in our engineering office are the same - PC for work and a Mac for play - they were the ones that convinced me try one.

And by the way, I'm not big on "brands" so that doesn't factor into the equation. I am Scottish though and yes I'm cheap, so if I'm going to pay a premium for something it better bloody well perform and the Mac has exceeded my expectations and was well worth what I paid for it.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aviator
Agreed they are for some and not for others.

Reasons to go for a Mac (laptop specifically)

- Very hard to get a virus - having had PC's prior to 2010 I would get some form of a virus/malware flag up every few months. Since having a Mac not once. Exact the same for everyone else I know who has one.

- Materials & Parts - Macbook Pros are made from one piece of aluminium, drop this and the casing isnt going to break (internals might not not the outer part) it also doesnt warp. I have had multiple laptops in the past that get stress cracks, warp and crack just with basic wear and tear. Very annoying.

- Software (OS) - Windows computers DO slow down noticably with use, it cant be helped, it is because of the way Windows was designed. Windows knows and acknowledges this (new Windows 8 has one touch restore button to re-install basic OS system to restore speed) Macs slow, but it isnt noticeable. For everyday use this is ideal.

Reasons not to get a Mac,

Price - Alot higher than PC's.
Software availability - getting better, especially with Bootcamp.
Familiarity - Used to Windows, cant handle the change

My personal opinion there are two kinds of people best suite to Mac.
- Digital Artists using high end Adobe and Mac native software
- Basic users who Surf internet, listen to music and download/watch movies

Mid end users who use random bits of software and Gamers are not suited to Macs at all.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

My iMac still works as well and as fast now as it did when I bought it 5 years ago.

For that reason alone, it's worth every penny in my opinion.

I've never had a laptop or PC that has been able to last 5 years and still be in decent shape.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Viruses, trojans, etc.

I'm on a PC for work every day and for engineering and the programs we run, it's the way to go and 'cus I know my way around one I use to have a PC at home for home use. As the kids got older, they each had PC's 'cus I knew more about them but with surfing the net, I starting spending way too much time fixing them. And yes you can all the greatest anti-virus software like we do at work but they still get in.

I decided to try Mac's for my teenage daughters first, yes they were pricey but in the three years they've had them, I haven't had one problem with them. I've been on a Mac myself for two years for personal use, surfing, downloading, photo editing, website construction, etc. and I've never had a problem and I haven't come across anything that I can't do on a Mac that I could on a PC. For the record, most of the guys in our engineering office are the same - PC for work and a Mac for play - they were the ones that convinced me try one.

And by the way, I'm not big on "brands" so that doesn't factor into the equation. I am Scottish though and yes I'm cheap, so if I'm going to pay a premium for something it better bloody well perform and the Mac has exceeded my expectations and was well worth what I paid for it.
100% agree. One of the biggest reasons alone.

Futureshop will charge you upwards of $150 to remove viruses if you dont know how to do it yourself - this is ALOT of people. Factor this over mutliple years/PC's and its a no-brainer.

I know investing in a Apple product is seen as overpriced, but your not just paying for the brand name it genuinely is a product that 'works' and will continue to do so without issues for 5 years + Try finding a PC that does this.

Last edited by exenglishman; May 8th 2012 at 6:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.