Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A quick question about jobs in Ottawa

A quick question about jobs in Ottawa

Old May 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default A quick question about jobs in Ottawa

I just want to know how easy it is to find work? I have heard that there are a mainly government jobs and that we would not be able to work for the government unless we were Canadian citizens.

So how easy is it for an accountant to get work there?

Thanks!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A quick question about jobs in Ottawa

Originally Posted by act1980
I just want to know how easy it is to find work? I have heard that there are a mainly government jobs and that we would not be able to work for the government unless we were Canadian citizens.

Thanks!
Do you/your OH speak French? That may affect things there, hubby was in talks about a couple of jobs in Ottawa and both wanted him to have some French (bizarrely, jobs in Montreal didn't though!).

Old May 27th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you/your OH speak French? That may affect things there, hubby was in talks about a couple of jobs in Ottawa and both wanted him to have some French (bizarrely, jobs in Montreal didn't though!).

Hi

No we don't, although I am trying to learn it atm. I really didn't like Montreal, so not sure if I would want to work there
Old May 27th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

I'm actually working on my CMA designation in Ottawa at the moment as I wasn't having any luck job wise (I'm an MBA with manufacturing and international business experience) and I was seeing plenty of private sector jobs with CA/CMA or CGA as a requirement. A discussion with a financial recruiter (BEP as it happens) confirmed that this was a good way to go.

As the recession has deepened I have seen a definite increase in government's share of the advertised jobs but private companies are still hiring and there are a reasonable number of accounting jobs coming up. I use Peter's New Jobs to keep track of new positions. It's worth checking them out, especially as they have a free trial.

I wouldn't be scared off by the French issue. Yes, it reduces the number of jobs available, and it is required to progress beyond lower/mid levels in government but there are other opportunities for accountants.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No we don't, although I am trying to learn it atm. I really didn't like Montreal, so not sure if I would want to work there
As a fellow beancounter I am curious as to why you didn't take to Montreal?

As far as bean counting goes I have never found the French to be an issue although I am 100% fluent. Software and documents are generally in English. If you are familiar with GAAP that should suffice.
Old May 28th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by montreal mike
As a fellow beancounter I am curious as to why you didn't take to Montreal?

As far as bean counting goes I have never found the French to be an issue although I am 100% fluent. Software and documents are generally in English. If you are familiar with GAAP that should suffice.
I just found the people to be rude and the drivers even more incompetant than in Ontario!
Old May 28th 2009, 4:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Being a PR, as opposed to a citizen, does not bar you from applying for many government jobs. You just won't be looked upon as favourably. All other things being equal, the Canadian will get the job every time.

Many, maybe most, jobs in government are not advertised to the general public.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:04 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

It is almost impossible to get a permanent job in the Federal Government if you are not a citizen, despite what the recruitment ads might tell you about Permanent Residents being eligible to apply. Have seen this both from the stats and also anecdotally. The issue of preference went to a court case a few years ago, by the way, on the grounds that preference for citizens is illegal; the government won the case and preference remains.

Former colleague of mine who has PR had been trying to get a job with the Feds. He got taken on with a temp contract as someone he used to work with went to government and they offered it to him, which is just about the only way in. Then found himself in lots of government 'competitions' to get a permanent job, where he was the best qualified, the recruiters wanted him but were not able to offer him a job because they had to hire a citizen in preference. And he was on the inside. He got a job eventually - after becoming a citizen.

Unless you have a very rare and sought after skill, the odds of being taken on without any connections in government if you have PR status are virtually nil, and even with such connections still a very long process that may not succeed.

And long processes these applications certainly are - a Canadian friend has been in several competitions for jobs for over 9 months and this is apparently not atypical. Not sure what they think people live on in the interim.

Don't want to be overly negative, but as someone who works with government day to day and knows lots of current and former employees, I would suggest you may be better to save yourself a lot of trouble and don't apply until you have citizenship and also preferably some French.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, not ALL the jobs in Ottawa are government, there is a small enclave of high tech computing / aerospace / defence companies there too, as well as the usual suspects you would find in any largish city...

Sadly its not the best of times to be looking for work anywhere, so make sure the resume is up to snuff, and network like crazy would be my advice...
Old May 28th 2009, 7:26 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
It is almost impossible to get a permanent job in the Federal Government if you are not a citizen, despite what the recruitment ads might tell you about Permanent Residents being eligible to apply. Have seen this both from the stats and also anecdotally. The issue of preference went to a court case a few years ago, by the way, on the grounds that preference for citizens is illegal; the government won the case and preference remains.

Former colleague of mine who has PR had been trying to get a job with the Feds. He got taken on with a temp contract as someone he used to work with went to government and they offered it to him, which is just about the only way in. Then found himself in lots of government 'competitions' to get a permanent job, where he was the best qualified, the recruiters wanted him but were not able to offer him a job because they had to hire a citizen in preference. And he was on the inside. He got a job eventually - after becoming a citizen.

Unless you have a very rare and sought after skill, the odds of being taken on without any connections in government if you have PR status are virtually nil, and even with such connections still a very long process that may not succeed.

And long processes these applications certainly are - a Canadian friend has been in several competitions for jobs for over 9 months and this is apparently not atypical. Not sure what they think people live on in the interim.

Don't want to be overly negative, but as someone who works with government day to day and knows lots of current and former employees, I would suggest you may be better to save yourself a lot of trouble and don't apply until you have citizenship and also preferably some French.
My cousin is the Attorney General, but I don't think even that would help me.