Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions on Containers & Long term visitors

Questions on Containers & Long term visitors

Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Questions on Containers & Long term visitors

Hello,

I have lived in Canada now for almost 4 years, my mother-in-law just passed away and has left us a lot of good quality furniture and personal items, is there a time limit that we have to ship our goods over after landing in Canada(4 years ago)or can you more or less ship anything at anytime?

Also, my father-in-law is coming over for christmas and we are planning on him staying(if allowed)till April, when he comes back to the UK in April, how long does he have to stay for before he can come back to see us in Canada again?

Many thanks
Pammy
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:11 am
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Questions on Containers & Long term visitors

Originally Posted by Pammy
Hello,

I have lived in Canada now for almost 4 years, my mother-in-law just passed away and has left us a lot of good quality furniture and personal items, is there a time limit that we have to ship our goods over after landing in Canada(4 years ago)or can you more or less ship anything at anytime?

Also, my father-in-law is coming over for christmas and we are planning on him staying(if allowed)till April, when he comes back to the UK in April, how long does he have to stay for before he can come back to see us in Canada again?

Many thanks
Pammy
Your father-in-law assuming he is british and a passport holder is allowed to stay in Canada for 6 months (as a holiday). He must leave the country for at least 1 full day before he can return for another 6 months.

I believe this is right but if anyone can confirm it then i will be happier.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lees147
Your father-in-law assuming he is british and a passport holder is allowed to stay in Canada for 6 months (as a holiday). He must leave the country for at least 1 full day before he can return for another 6 months.

Shoot, thought I'd get rid of him for longer than that! :scared:

(Yep he's a Brit)
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:23 am
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Shoot, thought I'd get rid of him for longer than that! :scared:

(Yep he's a Brit)
He doesn't even need to go back to the UK he could just go into America for a day and come back. But i believe the rules are that customs can deny anybody entry for any reason...

Once again this is what i believe but if anyone can confirm then they should!!!
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

If they were not declared on your "goods to follow" list (as I doubt they were) you will be able to ship them but you are likely to have to pay import tax on them (unless an exemption exists for inherited items)
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147

If he's rich, he ought not to be in Canada for more than 6 months in a tax year else he will have to file and pay tax in Canada on his worldwide income.

K.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back to the UK in a fortnight and will be bringing back some pieces left to me by my mother. As far as I understand, you're not taxed by Canada on anything left to you - you need the same goods list form as you would have used when you landed, the B4/B4a - on there is a "Beneficiary" tick box. There's some information on the form, in fact that's the only place I've found anything about it, I hope it's correct! You need a copy of the will, and everything you bring that's on that will be duty free. I'm not bringing any big stuff this trip, just what I can fit in my hand luggage, but it would be the same procedure even if the goods were coming by container at a later date not accompanying you - you'd present that form to customs on your arrival and then again when you clear your container later.

I don't think there's a time limit from the death until when you can import, my mother's estate is still in probate or whatever it's called in Scotland almost a year on! If I bring any larger items, it'll probably be two or three years from date of death...

Will let you know what happens at customs!

Form B4: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/b4-05e.pdf

Hello,

Many thanks
Pammy