Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions about Quebec

Questions about Quebec

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Mini chef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about Quebec

Hello! I am moving to MTL shortly and have a few questions.

1. I am a citizen but not a Quebec resident. From what I gather I will be subjected to a 3 month waiting period for full health coverage. Besides getting knocked up is there anyway I can expedite this process?

2. Do I need to register with a GP in my area or can I choose any family doctor? Can anyone recommend a good English speaking GP in the Plateau/Centre-ville area?

3. Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive site on gov't subsidized French language classes for new residents if such classes exist?

4. Does anyone know of any good 'culinary/pastry' social networking groups etc in MTL that may be of interest to a newly landed professional cook?

5. Other than craigslist and the mirror which circulars/sites have substantial classified listings for flat/job hunting?

Any help will be much appreciated. Ta!
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Quebec

3. Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive site on gov't subsidized French language classes for new residents if such classes exist?

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...bec/index.html
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

1. I am a citizen but not a Quebec resident. From what I gather I will be subjected to a 3 month waiting period for full health coverage. Besides getting knocked up is there anyway I can expedite this process?

She said all immigrants are warned of the three-month waiting period, and that it's there to prevent anyone from coming to the province just to make use of the health-care system and leaving immediately after.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...ealth1015.html
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

5. Other than craigslist and the mirror which circulars/sites have substantial classified listings for flat/job hunting?

the montreal gazette and journal de montreal should be of help

http://www.theworkplace.ca/page2.asp?sect=1

Last edited by montreal mike; Nov 22nd 2008 at 7:50 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

2. Do I need to register with a GP in my area or can I choose any family doctor? Can anyone recommend a good English speaking GP in the Plateau/Centre-ville area?

This would be a good start but doctors are fast becoming an extinct species . The local clinic, known here as 'CLSC' is a good start.

for your new area go to

4625 AVENUE DE LORIMIER
MONTRÉAL, QC H2H 2B4
(514) 521-7663

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&...e-results&cd=1

Last edited by montreal mike; Nov 22nd 2008 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

4. Does anyone know of any good 'culinary/pastry' social networking groups etc in MTL that may be of interest to a newly landed professional cook?

perhaps ???

http://ccfcc.ca/en/content/blogsection/2/30/

Last edited by montreal mike; Nov 22nd 2008 at 8:12 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mini chef View Post
Hello! I am moving to MTL shortly and have a few questions.

A Canadian citizen?

Are you currently living in another Canadian province?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
A Canadian citizen?

Are you currently living in another Canadian province?
I am a Canadian citizen and most recently resided in BC although I had no medical coverage whilst I was there if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Mini chef; Nov 22nd 2008 at 10:42 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by montreal mike View Post

perhaps ???

http://ccfcc.ca/en/content/blogsection/2/30/
Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point

Montreal Mike - good suggestion on the CLSC but the one you listed is very French. I prefer to go to the one on the corner of Mount Royal and St Laurent. I've been there a couple fo times in the past 2 years and all the docs and xray people are anglos. It's way easier than heading to the east end and saying 'Bah, j'ai qqch de mal avec ma tete!'. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gembers View Post
Montreal Mike - good suggestion on the CLSC but the one you listed is very French. I prefer to go to the one on the corner of Mount Royal and St Laurent. I've been there a couple fo times in the past 2 years and all the docs and xray people are anglos. It's way easier than heading to the east end and saying 'Bah, j'ai qqch de mal avec ma tete!'. Hope this helps!
Mount Royal and St.Laurent is smack in the middle of an ethnic neighbourhood; many portuguese live in that area. Years ago it was heavily greek but that has changed. In 1963 as a very young man I lived at 5352 Parc avenue between Laurier and St. Viateur. One mile east, when you reach Papineau it becomes 100% quebecois.