Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions about moving to Canada

Questions about moving to Canada

Old Mar 16th 2021, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

jameshorsfall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about moving to Canada

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum but I came across this website and noticed all of you guys are helpful with people asking questions.

Me and my girlfriend are coming to Canada next year (around the summer time) and we’re thinking of moving to Toronto on an IEC working holiday visa with a look to make it permanent within that 2 year period granted to us by the Canadian government. We do have a few questions that we would love an answer to because countless google searches later, we’re still struggling.

1) Toronto specifically, we are wanting to move somewhere that is safe as a priority (I know for the most part Toronto is safe but you know what I mean), but we also are looking for somewhere that’s on the cheaper end of the scale (doesn’t need to be the cheapest). So, what neighbourhoods are safe and affordable? Within a reasonable distance to downtown too. I know it’s a broad question but this is why I’m struggling, just some suggestions would be great.

2) We’re hoping to bring around C$15k - C$20k with us to help start off our life in Canada (rent money, travel, general expenses etc). Of course we will have a job too so that income will be coming in shortly after we arrive. Am I overestimating how much we would need or am I about right with what those figures?

3) Do we NEED to buy a car? Is public transport affordable and easy to access in the Toronto area or would a car be a worthy investment?

I know this is a lengthy post but any help I can get from you guys would be amazing.

Thank you!
Old Mar 16th 2021, 10:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about moving to Canada

Originally Posted by jameshorsfall
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum but I came across this website and noticed all of you guys are helpful with people asking questions.

Me and my girlfriend are coming to Canada next year (around the summer time) and we’re thinking of moving to Toronto on an IEC working holiday visa with a look to make it permanent within that 2 year period granted to us by the Canadian government. We do have a few questions that we would love an answer to because countless google searches later, we’re still struggling.

1) Toronto specifically, we are wanting to move somewhere that is safe as a priority (I know for the most part Toronto is safe but you know what I mean), but we also are looking for somewhere that’s on the cheaper end of the scale (doesn’t need to be the cheapest). So, what neighbourhoods are safe and affordable? Within a reasonable distance to downtown too. I know it’s a broad question but this is why I’m struggling, just some suggestions would be great.

2) We’re hoping to bring around C$15k - C$20k with us to help start off our life in Canada (rent money, travel, general expenses etc). Of course we will have a job too so that income will be coming in shortly after we arrive. Am I overestimating how much we would need or am I about right with what those figures?

3) Do we NEED to buy a car? Is public transport affordable and easy to access in the Toronto area or would a car be a worthy investment?

I know this is a lengthy post but any help I can get from you guys would be amazing.

Thank you!
No, to the need for a car. I know many people who live in Toronto and don't have driving licenses. If you do have a license then, when there's a need to go out of town, rent a car or join a car share pool.

Look at south Etobicoke, the numbered streets or Scarborough around Cliffside Village.