Reload this Page >

Question for Brits who've lived in US and Canada

Question for Brits who've lived in US and Canada

Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question for Brits who've lived in US and Canada

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to the US from the UK (I'm British) with my American husband - he's now talking about us moving to Canada at some point in the future (I know, I've hardly even had chance to get settled here yet!!).

My question is, for those Brits who've had a chance to live in both America and Canada, which country have you preferred and more importantly why?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Josie
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Question for Brits who've lived in US and Canada

Canada is a civilized and humane version of the US. That is my opinion, as a Briton just having moved to the US from Canada.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:18 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

I moved to Canada from the UK in 1995.
Then in Sept. of last year I had to move to the US.
I was heartbroken to be honest and my wife stayed in Canada for as long as she could for various reasons. She finally moves here in a little under 2 weeks.

I guess preference depends on the individual really.

I could spend hours here rambling on about the differences between the UK, Canada and the US, having lived in all 3 countries.

I've only lived here for a year which isn't nearly long enough to formulate a good opinion. That said, Canada is my home.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:53 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Canada is a civilized and humane version of the US. That is my opinion, as a Briton just having moved to the US from Canada.
Here's a terrible joke to play on your American friends. Tell them that you think all handguns should be banned in the US. Then immediately explain that you are just joking, or you will have a battle royal on your hands.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
That's what my DH reckons!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Have you seen the movie Bowling for Columbine? The right to own arms in the States is really terrifying and after seeing this movie even more so....
Well worth the watch........

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Here's a terrible joke to play on your American friends. Tell them that you think all handguns should be banned in the US. Then immediately explain that you are just joking, or you will have a battle royal on your hands.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Have you seen the movie Bowling for Columbine? The right to own arms in the States is really terrifying and after seeing this movie even more so....
It's a constitutional right to have firearms so attacking it is like attacking basic American values or desecrating
the flag.
Be careful.

Last edited by flashman; Aug 18th 2004 at 1:34 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
There you go again showing that you know nothing of the United States.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:56 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Why did you try it and nothing happened?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Why did you try it and nothing happened?

As an American married to a Canadian and living in the US, I can tell you that my Canadian husband would tell you the issue of gun ownership takes a higher precedent in Canada than in the US and that gun ownership per capita is higher in Canada than in the US. In my US family no one out of about 50 in our family have ever owned a weapon until I married my Canadian husband and he brought 3 of his and he just purchased a new rifle in July.

As for Calgary's opinion of the US, if you truly feel that Canada is more civilized and humane than the US (I think not) then why in goodness' name did you migrate to the US? Since I know that you came here because of your USC spouse, I really wonder why you didn't remain in Canada. No one should be forced to live with savages and be unhappy and fearful.

Rete
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:58 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Yes, the interview with Charlton Heston was something else. To millions in the US the right "to bear arms" is above all other rights. As Heston says, "from my dead cold hands". In other words, no one can take my guns away from me until I am dead. There isn't any question about it, the US is a nation of gun nuts. And that opinion is coming from a gun owner and hunter.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

This message is in response to the message left by Rete

What a complete load of crap!!!!. You need to review your "stats" (oh, my God, no, not stats). there are 10 handguns per person in the States compared to Canada - and remember it wasn't us who had the Columbine massacre it was the States. Your family is one of the few raities in the States living without guns in the home.

What is your Canadian husband using his handguns for? hunting??? big difference from personally arming yourself and your family against imaginary terrorists.

All you have to do is look at our liberal social policies and it's guaranteed that we are a far far more humane and civilized society. Just look at the way your country is handling the "same sex" marriage situation. What a bunch of hogwash - I never seen so much drama for something so simple.

Please tell me why, why, why we in Victoria and other areas of Canada are having tons and tons of americans move up here. We are having americans move up to Vancouver Island and purcase homes - the reason why - they are sick and tired of being scared, sick and tired of the war mentality, sick of the problems with guns, and want their kids to grow up in a safe environment. These are not my words - they come straight from the horses mouth!!!!!

You really need to have a reality check!!!!!

Rete[/QUOTE]

Last edited by willmore; Aug 18th 2004 at 4:05 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by prodigyking
How so?

By the way, I probably know more about the US than the average "American". After all, I've lived with them my entire life, and my experience with them goes way beyond the Democratic party leaning residents of New York city. Can you make the same claims?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 18th 2004 at 4:09 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This message is in response to the message left by Rete

You really need to have a reality check!!!!!

Rete
[/QUOTE]

Liberalism is rampant in Canada. Look at your justice system. It stinks. You can kill a person and walk away with a slap on the wrist. Take Karla as an example. Kill your sister after you allow your husband to rape her and have the government hand you a way to not charge you for it. It is not any different down here either. So don't make Canada out to be a paradise because it isn't. There is just as much wrong with your country as with mine and Columbine can happen in Canada very very easily. Your youth is just as spoiled and selfish as ours and parents just as lenient and permissive.

Your governments begs for immigrants but they must be of the highest quality unless they sneak their way into your country and seek asylum and then they can't find work that pays them enough for the good life.

Your politicans and government are as corrupt as mine. The only difference is we don't have a Quebec but the hispanic population is sure to give us their verison of Quebec in my lifetime.

I don't need the reality check, wilmore, but perhaps you do.

Rete
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Say "Gun control" in the USA means 3 things to 3 different sets of people.

To the upper upper mega class they seem to think that they need to protect their assets with their life. (example Cherlton Heston) And therefore it is their right to have pistols under the pillows and Armed Brinks bodyguards all over the place.

To the average joe in Montana, Gun Control will mean he misses out on Hunting season.

To the lower classes of inner city, gun control means taking the Uzi's off the gangs..........

So as you see, gun control is a complete generalisation of a very complex issue which has more than one connotation to different sets of people.

Living in the wilds of Northen Michigan where there are probably more hunting rifles than cars/trucks......... We've only had one murder in our town in 30 years. And he was stabbed to death.

Going back to Bowling, and Michael Moore, the gun thing wasn't the issue of the film I thought. More the media playing on the fears of people into thinking that they can be raped and pillaged at any single point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.