Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

question about a tv aerial

question about a tv aerial

Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about a tv aerial

I know this is a dumb question but im taking my tv to Canada my question is do I need to take my portable aerial with me aswell or is it pointless, I know nothing of tv frequencies in Canada or even if the TV's need them...
Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about a tv aerial

The vast majority of people use Cable TV and no aerial is required.
Some use satellite TV and use a dish
Some use aerials commonly known as OTA.
Personally ditch the TV and buy a used one over here. Dependent on where you live will dictate the type of TV service you want. Many are even cutting the cable cord and using streaming services on their computer and hooking the computer to the TV.
Plus you would probably need a voltage converter as the Canadian system is different to the UK and a lot of other countries.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

palmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to behold

When I lived in surrey(bc) I didn't have cable tv or anything there so I bought an aerial from future shop or somewhere like that and with that you can get around 10 or so channels, cbc and some of the other standard ones, it had some fairly good stuff on it and it was free some of them came in in hd too.. Further out in the valley the quality gets less and less and in chilliwack you get bugger all.. So I have cable now..
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your replies, maybe I will take it then just in case..Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If your in a big city or close to one, you can probably pick up some over the air channels, if your anywhere else chances are you will get zilch over the air.

I am 50km away from Vancouver, and we can get nothing over the air, cable is the only option.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think they are worth bringing, heres a link to just one store here in Canada.

TVs: Top TV Brands, Television Deals - Best Buy Canada