British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/question-about-pet-transport-uk-canada-782352/)

sms1984 Feb 27th 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Originally Posted by paolob99 (Post 10573130)
a bit nightmareish

Air Canada, until the middle of last year did accept private bookings, and the price for a 34 kg dog was around £700

They now only deal with pet travel agencies...I guess because they get the detail correct every time and there is less faffing about.....so your price, at best, is doubled.

I am not happy because the option to choose has been removed.

Pet agencies no doubt provide a great service for those who want to use them, especially for those who want extra services such as collection, boarding etc

But for those who simply wish to bung pooch on the plane and collect at the end of the flight, the option has been removed and we're being forced to pay double or more for a service we don't need.

Are there any airlines that take dogs direct from the UK?

It seems this is a UK thing, the assumption that people have money, general apathy and the knowledge that people will pay.

My friends in Canada have just shipped their dog from Vancouver to Frankfurt for $295

My dog is flying out to Calgary on 9th March in baggage for $275 plus a $30 handling fee at Calgary. You have to book your flight's then phone the Canadian AirTransat number to book your dog on!

sms1984 Feb 27th 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by matty_c (Post 10573196)
Got a quote air transat for my English Springer Spaniel from London to Calgary £486 + admin fees at Calgary airport. Hes 20kg the vari kennel was £70 vet fees are £25 for his check up and cert £38 for rabies jab !! job done:cool:

Do you know why they are charging you £486 when they can fly in baggage for $275 (£176)??

matty_c Feb 27th 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 10573203)
Do you know why they are charging you £486 when they can fly in baggage for $275 (£176)??

Not sure! I phoned Air Transat in the UK. My dog is flying 2-3 weeks after me as the company im going to work for are putting us in a hotel for 2 weeks.
If I book through air transat in Calgary it is only $275 + admin fee ?

Almost Canadian Feb 27th 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by matty_c (Post 10573232)
Not sure! I phoned Air Transat in the UK. My dog is flying 2-3 weeks after me as the company im going to work for are putting us in a hotel for 2 weeks.

That's the reason. For excess baggage, it has to accompany you

sms1984 Feb 27th 2013 3:19 pm

Sorry didnt realise the dog was following so yeah it probably will be more

matty_c Feb 27th 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 10573281)

OK cool, thanks :)

lins and Stef McLachlan Feb 27th 2013 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Neljx (Post 10573189)
Having done some pretty intensive research I came to the conclusion that cheapest one way direct flight (in this case to Montreal) which would allow my dogs to travel as excess baggage was actually Air Transat, mainly because they actually do allow you to book a cheaper one way ticket vs most of the other airlines where return tickets are cheaper than one way flights! Unfortunately they have a list of animal breeds they will not carry and as one of my dogs is listed, I am having to fly KLM instead (with a stopover) Not ideal but needs must.

It is very worthwhile checking into what they can offer.

We considered going across to New York from Southampton on the Queen Mary to include a six day cruise. They have facilities for pets, their own deck and carers, but space is limited and availability is first come first served. That would only work if you were going to Ontario, Quebec or the Maritimes as they are driveable from New York. We managed to book Air Canada Cargo back In 2010 as sadly the cruise we wanted was booked.

Has anyone thought to challenge the airlines about forcing you to use an Agent. As I remember, the rules with regard to crate type, size, documentation etc were laid out and easy to get right. maybe someone should challenge them, I wonder how this monopoly would hold up to legal challenge?

hope this helps
stef

lins and Stef McLachlan Feb 27th 2013 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 10573281)

Hi
Air transat may not allow you to book from the Uk to Calgary, if you are in Calgary as that would be the return leg of their journey. Would certainly give them a call and ask that question.

i cant help thinking that if it was doable and that cheap, that more of us would have opted to do it that way. i was also in Canada for 2 months ahead of flying my dog in, and when I asked, it was not possible, but that was Air Canada, others may differ.
stef

Neljx Feb 27th 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan (Post 10573527)
We considered going across to New York from Southampton on the Queen Mary to include a six day cruise. They have facilities for pets, their own deck and carers, but space is limited and availability is first come first served. That would only work if you were going to Ontario, Quebec or the Maritimes as they are driveable from New York. We managed to book Air Canada Cargo back In 2010 as sadly the cruise we wanted was booked.

Has anyone thought to challenge the airlines about forcing you to use an Agent. As I remember, the rules with regard to crate type, size, documentation etc were laid out and easy to get right. maybe someone should challenge them, I wonder how this monopoly would hold up to legal challenge?

hope this helps
stef

I also looked at this option! Certainly do-able and sounded quite romantic :D

Decided against it for economic reasons in the end

Almost Canadian Feb 27th 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan (Post 10573527)

hope this helps
stef

What monopoly? They may be fed up with having to deal with people that don't bring the correct sized crate, have the correct paperwork etc? They don't have to transport pets. It is not unreasonable of them to be able to state how you are to transport pets.

Violets are blue Feb 27th 2013 9:46 pm

Just curious, but does anyone know if a dog can still go in baggage with Air Canada, small dog crate and dog under 50lbs and size well within the limitations? (London/Toronto/Winnipeg). Im just wondering if the new rule is about cargo or baggage or both?

Theoldfields Feb 27th 2013 10:19 pm

We are doing the same thing to Vancouver in June. It seemed pretty painless when we spoke to Air Transat and then DEFRA.

paolob99 Feb 27th 2013 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10573724)
What monopoly? They may be fed up with having to deal with people that don't bring the correct sized crate, have the correct paperwork etc? They don't have to transport pets. It is not unreasonable of them to be able to state how you are to transport pets.

I think the inference of monopoly is to do with the choice being removed, where you are forced to use a UK company who make a minimum of a grand per large dog.

I accept airlines will be annoyed with people not following instructions. If you fail to follow the instructions, you don't fly. No refunds.

You could use that reasoning for making people book flights through agencies only, as humans are worse than animals for not following instructions

Air Canada, until May 2012, used to charge 550 to 700 uk pounds for a dog, now, via the pet agencies, is 1350 to 1900 pounds....for doing what most regular people can do.

I am not slating agencies, as they do a great job when your pet is sent without you, in fact a fabulous job.

What I am slating is the removal of my choice to choose how I ship my pet, all in the name of profiteering, or racketeering

snowgo Feb 28th 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by matty_c (Post 10573196)
Got a quote air transat for my English Springer Spaniel from London to Calgary £486 + admin fees at Calgary airport. Hes 20kg the vari kennel was £70 vet fees are £25 for his check up and cert £38 for rabies jab !! job done:cool:

I booked my Lab and cat as baggage for $550 combined price inc taxes :) Gatwick to Calgary. Fly june 13.

snowgo Feb 28th 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by veereid (Post 10461665)
I would be grateful for any recommendations of good and reasonably priced Intl pet transport companies from UK to Alberta, Canada. I might require some boarding of my dog prior to transportation so that should e included if possible.

Book as baggage $275.
We paid £2500 on our first trip out for two dogs and a cat. Royal rip off.