British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/question-about-pet-transport-uk-canada-782352/)

veereid Jan 3rd 2013 12:17 pm

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

I would be grateful for any recommendations of good and reasonably priced Intl pet transport companies from UK to Alberta, Canada. I might require some boarding of my dog prior to transportation so that should e included if possible.

Denisej Jan 3rd 2013 3:01 pm

Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Originally Posted by veereid (Post 10461665)
I would be grateful for any recommendations of good and reasonably priced Intl pet transport companies from UK to Alberta, Canada. I might require some boarding of my dog prior to transportation so that should e included if possible.

I am also moving to Canada try Ship your pet seems good easy to talk to and not to expensive

KJM Jan 3rd 2013 3:02 pm

Ladyhaye, Surrey speak to Ian, he does the UK - Canada route

veereid Jan 3rd 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Denisej (Post 10461908)
I am also moving to Canada try Ship your pet seems good easy to talk to and not to expensive

Many thanks will contact them.

luvmeboys Jan 3rd 2013 3:45 pm

what pets are you bringing? we brought a cat and dog in june with out a shipper. We bought Vari - kennels, had the relevent shots done at the vets, took advice from Defra and took them on board the flight as excess baggage, Simples!!

veereid Jan 3rd 2013 3:58 pm

Thank you, that is an option but am worried I might mess it up!! Will check with DEFRA what is needed and also the airline. Will also look into cost of Vari kennels

Alienabroad Jan 4th 2013 3:28 am

Try Dave at petsaway.co.uk We shipped our Lab, Lhasa Apso and also a chinchilla from Glasgow to Toronto..... Vey helpful and went without a hitch although you are responsible for the correct immunisations and vet certs etc:)

Geordie Lass Jan 4th 2013 3:41 am

Duncan at Skymaster in Manchester (they only fly from Manchester). He is soooo helpful and you can haggle them down on pricing.

We boarded our dog for I think 5 days before she flew out.

How heavy your dog is depends on whether you can fly them as excess baggage. If you have a dog the size of a cow like mine you will have to use a pet company.

Hope that helps! :)

veereid Jan 4th 2013 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 10463174)
Duncan at Skymaster in Manchester (they only fly from Manchester). He is soooo helpful and you can haggle them down on pricing.

How heavy your dog is depends on whether you can fly them as excess baggage. If you have a dog the size of a cow like mine you will have to use a pet company.

Many thanks - we are flying from Gatwick so not sure I can use Duncan - mine is a large English Springer Spaniel so guess she has to go cargo

kirstyp Jan 4th 2013 9:43 am

We normally use Airpets for our customers who want us to arrange Pet transportation alongside their household goods move

veereid Jan 4th 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by kirstyp (Post 10463493)
We normally use Airpets for our customers who want us to arrange Pet transportation alongside their household goods move

Thank you - have already contacted them.

veereid Jan 4th 2013 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by luvmeboys (Post 10462005)
what pets are you bringing? we brought a cat and dog in june with out a shipper. We bought Vari - kennels, had the relevent shots done at the vets, took advice from Defra and took them on board the flight as excess baggage, Simples!!

Do you think a large Springer Spaniel would be acceptable as excess baggage? What size was your dog? Can you also tell me where you bought your VARI kennel as I would like her to get used to it well beforehand.
MANY THANKS

luvmeboys Jan 4th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by veereid (Post 10463639)
Do you think a large Springer Spaniel would be acceptable as excess baggage? What size was your dog? Can you also tell me where you bought your VARI kennel as I would like her to get used to it well beforehand.
MANY THANKS

we bought the kennels on line and the pets slept in them for a couple of weeks before we left. Our dog is a border terrior so obviously smaller than a springer! why don't you phone Air Canada and ask them about size restrictions? we found them very helpful
Hth
G

shunter1977 Jan 4th 2013 4:04 pm

We used Airpets from Heathrow to Calgary for a 40kg dog and 2 large cats plus 24 days boarding for all of them and it was about £2500. Probably seems like a lot but they came to our old house in Norfolk on the morning that the shippers came to pack and took them away (tearful goodbyes all round).

When they had them settled in kennels they emailed us pictures of them settled in and call everyday with updates. The pets came on a better airline than we all did and seemed absolutely fine when we collected them in Calgary and even with the timescales we'd been quoted for clearing them it was all done and pets loaded in the car within 2 hours. Pretty painless except the bill :lol:

shunter1977 Jan 4th 2013 4:09 pm

Weirdly with all the above our dog was fine, 9 weeks after we arrived we put the dog in kennels here for one night while we went away to Edmonton for Steve's Xmas party and our Freya has had serious issues ever since.

She's got anxiety, chasing shadows when she's in the house to the point of banging her head into things to catch them. Can't distract her from it at all she's only comfortable when she's in our bedroom at night and it's pitch black.

So traveling/boarding with Airpets was fine but boarding 1 night in a kennel here has completely ruined her :confused:

veereid Jan 4th 2013 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by luvmeboys (Post 10463947)
we bought the kennels on line and the pets slept in them for a couple of weeks before we left. Our dog is a border terrior so obviously smaller than a springer! why don't you phone Air Canada and ask them about size restrictions? we found them very helpful
Hth
G

Thanks for the info - will call Air Canada as suggested.

MillieF Jan 4th 2013 5:23 pm

Oh best of luck OP. I travelled with a large English Springer several times as excess most successfully. Wonderful dogs! I've now got a Cairn and coming to Canada I used Goldenway, and he was fine too, and they boarded him for a week prior to his transportation.

Almost Canadian Jan 4th 2013 6:25 pm

We used Ladyhaye from London to Calgary for our two Rotties. Excellent service and I would recommend them in a heartbeat. Our Rotties were with them for 2 days prior to flying IIRC. Our flight went to Glasgow first. The aeroplane developed an issue and we were stuck in Glasgow for a full 24 hours. Ladyhaye dealt with the dogs and they arrived in Calgary full of the joys.

luvmeboys Jan 4th 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by shunter1977 (Post 10464095)
Weirdly with all the above our dog was fine, 9 weeks after we arrived we put the dog in kennels here for one night while we went away to Edmonton for Steve's Xmas party and our Freya has had serious issues ever since.

She's got anxiety, chasing shadows when she's in the house to the point of banging her head into things to catch them. Can't distract her from it at all she's only comfortable when she's in our bedroom at night and it's pitch black.

So traveling/boarding with Airpets was fine but boarding 1 night in a kennel here has completely ruined her :confused:

That is so sad! what could have scared her so much?

shunter1977 Jan 4th 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by luvmeboys (Post 10464412)
That is so sad! what could have scared her so much?

I have no idea, it's really worrying as we're going for a holiday/visit in the UK for 2 weeks at Easter and i'm afraid for her.

I need to go into the kennel as i've left her vaccination card there so i'm going to ask to see her kennel and ask about the neighboring dogs etc. I've not spoken to them yet as I don't want to come across like i'm blaming them for doing something wrong (other than forgetting half of the food i'd left for her :frown:)

I wondered at first if it was other dogs as when I take her to the dog park she seems slightly worse those days so i've stopped for a week or so now but she's not much better really.

luvmeboys Jan 4th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by shunter1977 (Post 10464443)
I have no idea, it's really worrying as we're going for a holiday/visit in the UK for 2 weeks at Easter and i'm afraid for her.

I need to go into the kennel as i've left her vaccination card there so i'm going to ask to see her kennel and ask about the neighboring dogs etc. I've not spoken to them yet as I don't want to come across like i'm blaming them for doing something wrong (other than forgetting half of the food i'd left for her :frown:)

I wondered at first if it was other dogs as when I take her to the dog park she seems slightly worse those days so i've stopped for a week or so now but she's not much better really.

:unsure: would a friend or neighbor look after her for you? its heart breaking to see a stressed out dog! I really feel for you.

Alienabroad Jan 4th 2013 9:18 pm

Is there a home boarding service available near you? This is where you pay someone to look after your dog in their own home. I used to run a home boarding service when I lived in Scotland. This would be a lot less stressful for your dog. You would also be able to relax and enjoy your break. Sounds like your dog has suffered some sort of trauma while in kennels:(

shunter1977 Jan 5th 2013 12:25 am

I don't know enough people here as yet to ask anyone to look after her but will look into a home boarding service.

You're both right though, I dread to think what has worried her so much. I may have to consider taking her to a behavioral expert which I suspect will be big bucks but she's not the same dog that flew to Canada with us :(

dollydee1 Jan 5th 2013 7:29 am

.:thumbsup: Hi Shunter have been trying to contact you however we do not seem to be having much luck with receipt of each others messages, so sorry to hear about your dog if we could get ours to meet beforehand I will have her for you if you get stuck, I would hate to think of her getting stressed further in kennells, infact to be honest my girl has become a little strange out here think it must be he climate lol:thumbsup:

We need to get together and take the dogs out I do not go to dog parks as they are sometimes not always quite stressful for dogs and OWNERS......

shunter1977 Jan 5th 2013 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dollydee1 (Post 10465176)
.:thumbsup: Hi Shunter have been trying to contact you however we do not seem to be having much luck with receipt of each others messages, so sorry to hear about your dog if we could get ours to meet beforehand I will have her for you if you get stuck, I would hate to think of her getting stressed further in kennells, infact to be honest my girl has become a little strange out here think it must be he climate lol:thumbsup:

We need to get together and take the dogs out I do not go to dog parks as they are sometimes not always quite stressful for dogs and OWNERS......

Hey Dolly, thank you for that :) The kids go back to school next week, i'll give you a call and we can arrange a get together. Freya loves 3 mile bend as she loves to run with other dogs but just sometimes we've walked with other dogs that are a bit more aggressive with they're play and she's still quite young so I wondered if it was that. It'll be nice for her to get to know one dog :D

matty_c Jan 5th 2013 8:19 pm

These seem well priced.
http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=20

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d..._crates/101439

I will be looking into these for my dog,

TheThornes Jan 6th 2013 6:38 pm

We used Airpets too - Heathrow to Calgary. Took our dog and cat to them the day before so they were only kenneled for one night. They were then put on the same flight as us the following day and we collected them the other end once we landed. They were certainly none the worse for wear after their adventure! :)

veereid Jan 7th 2013 8:59 am

Thank you - am collecting lots of quotes and recommendations - good to know the journey was not a problem for your dog. Did you have accommodation already worked out in Calgary and if so was it a problem to find a rental that would take pets?

TheThornes Jan 7th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by veereid (Post 10468544)
Thank you - am collecting lots of quotes and recommendations - good to know the journey was not a problem for your dog. Did you have accommodation already worked out in Calgary and if so was it a problem to find a rental that would take pets?

We had managed to secure some temporary dog friendly accommodation before coming over to stay just whilst we found a house to buy. We stayed there for 7 weeks until we moved into our own home here in Cochrane.

There are rentals around that will take pets but your choices will be more limited than if you didn't have a pet unfortunately.

KJM Jan 7th 2013 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by veereid (Post 10468544)

I have just secured a rental that will take my small dog in Calgary. They are to come by but try rentfaster.ca.

dollydee1 Jan 7th 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by shunter1977 (Post 10465567)
Hey Dolly, thank you for that :) The kids go back to school next week, i'll give you a call and we can arrange a get together. Freya loves 3 mile bend as she loves to run with other dogs but just sometimes we've walked with other dogs that are a bit more aggressive with they're play and she's still quite young so I wondered if it was that. It'll be nice for her to get to know one dog :D

:thumbsup:No problem, speak to you soon .........

paolob99 Jan 17th 2013 3:23 am

Regarding the dogs...I am due to get my dog vaccinated on friday for his pet passport....

but someone told me today that i can only travel 6 months after the test
can't travel with my dog, I needn't waste more time planning

I am downcast at the mo, if this is true

London-England-Lads Jan 17th 2013 11:27 am

TBH - we are taking both pets ourselves, as we have done it before.

Ladyhaye are good, but to pay 180 for them to take the dog to the airport is a bit much.

We have already:

Got a pet passport (Rabies up to date) Going to worm and tick before we leave)

Booked Airline tickets for Dog and US

Mentioned one on Goods accompanying list and one on Goods to follow.

Brought the relevant Cages (IATA approved)

Booked them in to the vets (day before) for fit to travel certificate.

Hope we aint forgot anything.

Rob

crazydaving Jan 17th 2013 11:31 am

My fiancée brought her dog over to the UK back in 2009 in a Giant vari-kennel using Worldwide Animal Travel (canada side agents) and James Cargo (JCS Livestock, UK agents) and we're going back the same route. LHR direct to Edmonton. Wished we could have gone to Calgary (cheaper) but by the time you factor in the additional travel / waiting time, no way José!

London-England-Lads Jan 17th 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by paolob99 (Post 10487900)
Regarding the dogs...I am due to get my dog vaccinated on friday for his pet passport....

Which country are you traveling from? Is it considered rabies free?

Might be worth reading this and finding a defra approved vet.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

Option 2 may work ? Then go through the passport in Canada.

We have them already, so not an expert - but worth trying !

rosspcs Jan 21st 2013 4:29 pm

We used Dave from PetsAway to bring one dog and four cats back home from Canada. He was really helpful and we had no hitches unlike our experience going to toronto from the UK where our two dogs were so badly treated at Swiss Port.
I have a Giant Vari Kennel for sale - this is the size recommended for Golden Retreivers to ensure the airlines do not have a problem although this is different from the recommendations by Vari Kennel

bex1 Jan 29th 2013 10:02 am

Originally Posted by paolob99 (Post 10487900)

I am in the process of getting quotes at the moment for my cat. This was sent to me from Airpets regarding taking cats and dogs into Canada, thought you might find it useful as the rules changed about the blood test thing a while back, think it's only when you come into the UK now. Hope you got it sorted.

NOTES FOR GUIDANCE FOR DOGS & CATS TO CANADA

1. Rabies vaccination, this is still optional as the UK is Rabies free, however we do advise this to be done at least 30 days before export. Your pet is then immediately protected from the day of arrival

2. Microchip identification

3 Health certificate / “Fit to Fly” certificate, issued by a vet within 5 days of export, this is included in our Airpets quotation. DEFRA export papers are NOT required if your cat/dog has been micro- chipped & has had the Rabies vaccine.

4. DEFRA export certificate, only required if your cat/dog has not been micro-chipped and had the Rabies vaccination, signed by a vet within 5 days of export. Airpets will arrange this for you if applicable

There is no quarantine for cats & dogs on arrival in the Canada. A PETS passport is NOT required to move your pet to Canada, however, if you feel that you may be returning to the UK at some point, we do strongly advise that you obtain the full PETS passport. This can be arranged through your local vet practice.

bex1 Jan 29th 2013 10:04 am

Has anyone used Flypets ?
http://www.flypets.co.uk

lins and Stef McLachlan Jan 29th 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 10463174)

Hi

No you dont have to use a pet company to ship a larger dog, you can do it yourself and it is a third of the price charged by those pet companies. they have to go as Cargo.

We used Air Canada to ship a Labrador into Toronto then onto a further flight to Windsor Ontario, cost of flight was around £820 and we bought our own IATA approved sky kennel at £140.

We booked her through Air Canada, straightforward procedure, My husband was in the Uk so he took her for the 8am flight from Heathrow, I picked her up from Windsor in Ontario at 4pm. no problem whatsoever.

Of course this wont help if you either go before your pet can and need to use a service to include kennels, or cant physically get them to the airport.

Dont be put off by thinking it is dreadfully complicated to do it yourself.....it is simple. Air Canada will tell you what paperwork they need and you just have to make sure that the immunisations are up to date and you have included Rabies vaccination.....need a fitness to fly certificate from the vet no more than a few days before the flight...and you are good to go. my husband attached the paperwork to the Sky kennel and emailed me scanned copies, incase the airline lost her paperwork....just as a precaution. Everything worked out perfectly.

Have a great day
stef

bex1 Jan 29th 2013 11:45 am

I spoke to Air Canada yesterday, they told me they no longer take pet from the general public, have to go through a pet shipper :-(