Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Originally Posted by sms1984
Air Transat will fly dogs cargo, I am this minute getting a quote for a collie x springer
Think you will find its $275 Can. We are flying 2 dogs later this year
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep this info coming. It is interesting and very useful, and I am grateful and enjoy reading it.

My dog is microchipped, fully boosted and has had the rabies jab as a precaution.

I am on a budget, and I am attracted to the ship it yourself idea....I would be going from Manchester to Vancouver, so would love to drop pooch off at the cargo bay then nip around to passengers, jump on the same plane, and then collect at the other end
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:01 am
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paolob99
Please keep this info coming. It is interesting and very useful, and I am grateful and enjoy reading it.

My dog is microchipped, fully boosted and has had the rabies jab as a precaution.

I am on a budget, and I am attracted to the ship it yourself idea....I would be going from Manchester to Vancouver, so would love to drop pooch off at the cargo bay then nip around to passengers, jump on the same plane, and then collect at the other end
The dog could go in baggage, that's how we are doing it. Cargo is more expensive. I had a lengthy chat with a guy from the cargo team at Air Transat yesterday!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

does the dog have to be a certain size for this option?

My dog is a 34kg Labrador.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sms1984
The dog could go in baggage, that's how we are doing it. Cargo is more expensive. I had a lengthy chat with a guy from the cargo team at Air Transat yesterday!
Interesting! I didn't realise they could go baggage. Guessing the hold there is still pressurised and heated then. I think I'll be checking into AirTransat myself as one quote I got just for a cat was £1300 from LHR to Ottawa and another was about £750, what a difference and I am guessing (but forgot to ask) that this doesn't include the cost of your pets ticket either?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

does the dog have to be a certain size for this option?

My dog is a 34kg Labrador.
Yes it has to be a certain size and yours is too heavy. My lab is 27kg and she was too big.

Labs love it out here tho - mine is past herself in the snow every time we go out!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

mine has been in the snow last week....uses his head as a little shovel, and barks at snowmen! I might put him on a crash diet!! Canada is his spiritual hiome, he would be the happiest dog ever,,,
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

a bit nightmareish

Air Canada, until the middle of last year did accept private bookings, and the price for a 34 kg dog was around £700

They now only deal with pet travel agencies...I guess because they get the detail correct every time and there is less faffing about.....so your price, at best, is doubled.

I am not happy because the option to choose has been removed.

Pet agencies no doubt provide a great service for those who want to use them, especially for those who want extra services such as collection, boarding etc

But for those who simply wish to bung pooch on the plane and collect at the end of the flight, the option has been removed and we're being forced to pay double or more for a service we don't need.

Are there any airlines that take dogs direct from the UK?

It seems this is a UK thing, the assumption that people have money, general apathy and the knowledge that people will pay.

My friends in Canada have just shipped their dog from Vancouver to Frankfurt for $295
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Are there any airlines that take dogs direct from the UK?
I think AirTransat still do, and I got a quote from Petsaway (admittedly it was for my cat), meeting them at the airport £490, which seemed almost £1000 cheaper than some quotes I'd been given. They seem to be cheaper as I don't think they have the overhead of boarding facilities, literally they just do what we would do and they use AirTransat anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Bex

I feel like I am running around in circles with Air Transat, I just can't getthe cargo number.

I am wondering if I am cheaper flying myself and dog from Europe, whilst fed-exing my essentials from the UK.

Trouble with websites is they re-route you back to UK quotes
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Neljx is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheapest is to book them in as excess baggage on your own ticket, on the same plane as long as size of kennel (LxWxH) and weight in total does not exceed the specific airline's restrictions (different for each airline). You then get charged a standard "excess baggage fee"

Sending them separately you are forced to use an agent (they are then shipped as "cargo") and you get charged by weight which explains the difference in cost.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Neljx
Cheapest is to book them in as excess baggage on your own ticket, on the same plane as long as size of kennel (LxWxH) and weight in total does not exceed the specific airline's restrictions (different for each airline). You then get charged a standard "excess baggage fee"

Sending them separately you are forced to use an agent (they are then shipped as "cargo") and you get charged by weight which explains the difference in cost.
Think Geordie Lass already covered this, the dog is 34kg, add on a container and it's probably over weight
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Having done some pretty intensive research I came to the conclusion that cheapest one way direct flight (in this case to Montreal) which would allow my dogs to travel as excess baggage was actually Air Transat, mainly because they actually do allow you to book a cheaper one way ticket vs most of the other airlines where return tickets are cheaper than one way flights! Unfortunately they have a list of animal breeds they will not carry and as one of my dogs is listed, I am having to fly KLM instead (with a stopover) Not ideal but needs must.

It is very worthwhile checking into what they can offer.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bex1
Think Geordie Lass already covered this, the dog is 34kg, add on a container and it's probably over weight
Weight restriction for KLM as excess baggage is 75kg in total (animal and crate) so you may be ok there. Anything over that has to fly cargo. I am flying 3 dogs at the same time on my ticket with KLM, total weight for each is 27kg, 27kg and 34kg. No problems with that.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

matty_c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bex1
Interesting! I didn't realise they could go baggage. Guessing the hold there is still pressurised and heated then. I think I'll be checking into AirTransat myself as one quote I got just for a cat was £1300 from LHR to Ottawa and another was about £750, what a difference and I am guessing (but forgot to ask) that this doesn't include the cost of your pets ticket either?

Got a quote air transat for my English Springer Spaniel from London to Calgary £486 + admin fees at Calgary airport. Hes 20kg the vari kennel was £70 vet fees are £25 for his check up and cert £38 for rabies jab !! job done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.