Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about Pet Transport UK to Canada

Hi - first post in the forum!

I got a quote for a small cat from LHR to T.O - £462 from passportforpets.com

This includes (where required):-

Airfreight
1 x IATA Approved Kennel “24 x 16 x 20” inches (complete with water bowls and funnels)
Airline Handling
Aviation Security Fee
Fuel / War Surcharge
Airline AVI Check Fee
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Duncan at Skymaster in Manchester (they only fly from Manchester). He is soooo helpful and you can haggle them down on pricing.

We boarded our dog for I think 5 days before she flew out.

How heavy your dog is depends on whether you can fly them as excess baggage. If you have a dog the size of a cow like mine you will have to use a pet company.

Hope that helps!
If your dog and kennel combined is too heavy for an excess baggage item, which I think is 32kg, then you can still ship them yourself on the same flight as freight. Air Canada have good information here.

We used Air Canada to ship our Lab and her kennel (36kg combined) to YYC. We dropped her off at the AC freight terminal at LHR. They're really well set up for pets. Then we boarded, and the flight crew relayed a message to us to confirm she was on board.

The other end was a little fiddly. We had to go through immigration, and then out of the airport to the freight depot. When we got there, someone was out in the parking lot walking our dog! They then gave us a piece of paper which we had to take back to customs at the airport for a stamp. Then you take your stamped paper back to the freight depot and they give you your dog.

She was 11 years old at the time, and we were worried she would be traumatised. In fact, apart from being a bit thirsty, she was less frazzled than we were!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and a few bits of practical advice.
  1. Make sure you buy the travel kennel well in advance and get your dog used to it. We fed ours in the kennel for 2 months before the flight.
  2. Allow plenty of time for dropping off your pet at the airline's cargo terminal. You don't wan't the stress of being late for check-in.
  3. The kennel comes with little water bowls, and you can set up a funnel on the outside so the airline staff can add water.
  4. The airlines wont carry sedated pets

Last edited by RockiesFellow; Mar 4th 2013 at 8:43 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

pedrozola is an unknown quantity at this point

we moved from Calgary to the UK then back to Calgary from the UK both times we used Animal Couriers to move our Australian Shepherd speak to Leslie or Jan we found them the best quality and the cost was bang on, there is so much you can do yourself, we flew from Manchester.

Good Luck
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

I struck gold.

Air Transat

You can load your dog yourself

I have had to buy one way ticket going out, as there is no flex fare for the return (I am going out for 4-6 months) and one way for the dog, so will simply repeat the process coming back.

I go out early April, the cost of the dog is 275 CAD, cost of the one way flight is 557 CAD

so 832 cad or £530 quid for one man and his dog (one way)

from gatwick to vancouver

I was being asked to stump up £1500 plus just for the dog!

quite pleased with that...

only neg point is no flex for the return leg
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolob99
I struck gold.

Air Transat

You can load your dog yourself

I have had to buy one way ticket going out, as there is no flex fare for the return (I am going out for 4-6 months) and one way for the dog, so will simply repeat the process coming back.

I go out early April, the cost of the dog is 275 CAD, cost of the one way flight is 557 CAD

so 832 cad or £530 quid for one man and his dog (one way)

from gatwick to vancouver

I was being asked to stump up £1500 plus just for the dog!

quite pleased with that...

only neg point is no flex for the return leg
We have the same arrangement for Manchester to Vancouver in early June but have had conflicting advice from Air Transat on where to take the dog!

Do you take the dog to the cargo area or is it treated as oversize baggage?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

I will have a look at my instructions (my flight is lgw because manchester flights dont start until may i think

btw, I used to live in lincoln, brant road, one of my fave places with great memories
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

I've a question, there hasn't been a definitive answer on this thread (yet, I think).

We're planning to take two dogs on the same Air Transat flight as us in August from Manchester to Calgary.
One is a border terrier. Him, plus his sky kennel, will be well under the 32kg for excess baggage on Air Transat. We reckon he'll cost us £180 as per this page on the AT website.

The other is an Airedale terrier, (22kg),he plus his kennel will weigh in at around 37kg, so we expect he'll need to go cargo but on the same flight. I checked with AT Cargo today, and they have no bookings to ship dogs on the flight we want, so space isn't a problem at the moment. They're going to ring me back with a quote tomorrow. The lady I spoke to in cargo today was honest enough to admit she had no idea how the "excess baggage thing" worked for transporting live animals, "that is a passenger department thing, we're just cargo".

With the border terrier, we know we have to phone a number on that web page at least 72 hours before the flight to tell them we're bringing a dog, but when it comes to check-in, would we just take him to the desk as we would any other excess baggage, pay for him, and drop him at the outsize baggage conveyor?! :-)
We know with the airedale going cargo, we'd need to take him to the cargo centre at least 3 hours before the flight, that's fine.
What do we do with the little one?! :-)
Thanks!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolob99
I will have a look at my instructions (my flight is lgw because manchester flights dont start until may i think

btw, I used to live in lincoln, brant road, one of my fave places with great memories
That would be very helpful - thanks. We have the confirmation from Air Transat but no instructions.

Glad you enjoyed Lincoln.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/Informat...ageur&tmpl=GEN
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Bambalina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

My Dog and I are travelling with Air Transat from Gatwick to Toronto on Friday 15th March. The cost for her, 22lbs and a large Vari kennel, was $275 inclusive. I booked her direct with Air Transat in Montreal whilst booking my own flight online (you need your flight booking reference to add to your pets booking) She will be travelling as checked baggage on the same flight as me. I have been told to just turn up at check-in with her and her kennel.

Previously, we both flew from Toronto to the UK in November 2012. She travelled with Air Canada to Heathrow whilst I flew into Gatwick. Travel into the UK is not as simple due to UK regulations. Cargo only on approved routes with approved carriers. Only Air Canada would allow me to book her into cargo myself without using a third party company. She flew into Heathrow, mainly because they have an animal handling company that will receive your pet, clear customs and the vet for you, and they are allowed to release the animal from the cage prior to everything being sorted so that animal can relieve itself. And they will even clean your dog up if necessary! I flew into Gatwick with Air Transat mainly because it was so much cheaper and because it can take up to 5 hours for your pet to clear customs, so there was plenty of time to hire a car and drive to Heathrow and collect her. It cost $1743 inclusive just for her!!! She arrived safe and well, if a little nervous.

Hope this info helps
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Would highly recommend Petair. (this is different to Airpets) Extremely helpful and friendly.

For those of you who are considering flying with pets during the summer months please check with the airline as when I was researching I read that some airlines will not transport animals during these months.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
We have the same arrangement for Manchester to Vancouver in early June but have had conflicting advice from Air Transat on where to take the dog!

Do you take the dog to the cargo area or is it treated as oversize baggage?
As far as we have been told you go to check in with dog and they sort it out then !

Rob
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:08 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Yeah, you just take your dog to check in with you. We got bumped to the front of the queue too
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Natalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant future

Hi, We are traveling to Calgary from Gatwick on the 24th April. I have booked our Boxer on the same flight as us direct with Air Transat. I have double checked with Air Transat about weight limit and have been told twice no limit. As my Boxer is more mastiff size and weighs around 40 kg.

Any body else traveled from Gatwick with their pets? Whats the procedure? Do you have to get there earlier if you have your dog with you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.