Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about Canadian educational system

Question about Canadian educational system

Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:03 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question about Canadian educational system

Originally Posted by dbd33
70+ here already.
LMAO!!! Not here - wet and miserable and forecast to last for a week .
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's cheating! You're in Vegas, if I recall.
Indeed I am. I think I might go out to the pool.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed I am. I think I might go out to the pool.
I hope you drown.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:14 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I hope you drown.
.........took the words right out of my mouth!

Envy is a dreadful thing................I love rain!!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:13 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,
just caught up on this long thread. Our 4 kids in BC school public school system. Feel it is good both academically and in other respects - like instilling civic responsibility, encouraging them to volunteer and getting practical skills.

As to languages, our two oldest girls swapped French for Spanish as soon as they could. This was partly because their French was behind their Canadian peers and they had no hope of making up the difference in time for graduation. With Spanish they it was a level playing field as all students were beginners. There are other languages taught too - one of their friends did Japanese, outside of school but gaining credits for it.

It is important to get involved in their education as we found that their counsellors and teachers knew virtually nothing about UK education and did not make allowances for their prior education - or lack of it. Very willing to help if you make the effort to get involved.

For anyone interested in BC education and our kids experience we have some info available at http://www.relocation2bc.com/schooling.htm
and kids diaries at http://www.relocation2bc.com/teendiaries.htm

No bullying experiences due to accents. They get teased from time to time but usually the accent is appreciated and in BC is not that rare in any case. There are so many people from different cultures that generally people blend in very well. Spelling has not been an issue. The use of strange English terms (eg fortnight, swimming costume) can bring on blank stares.

We have found the schools and school kids very welcoming - all the kids settled in very quickly and have made good friends.

Warmly,

Frank
Originally Posted by Newone
Glad to see so many replies and different opinions. Thank you all! It’s a real help .

What about foreign languages? Do Canadians children learn other foreign languages in school except French? Do they have schools that specialize in languages? In UK it’s very popular now to learn 2-3 foreign languages. Our son has been learning French and Spanish for 2 years in school here and very good in it, he would like to continue doing languages in Canadian school.

Tiaribbon, what do teachers mean when they say something incorrect in your daughter’s French? Was it just accent or something like difference in spelling or something else?

By the way, guys, did your kids have any difficulties in school with difference in spelling between Canadian and British English? Like English spelling “favoUrite” and American “favorite”, English “coloUr” and American “color”,

What about bulling because of English accent or something else? It seems that almost any school in UK got that kind of problems . It’s every day on TV, different stories and some are really shocked.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:49 am
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about

Quebec written grammar is supposed to be identical to French written grammar. The spoken language is another thing but even so many Quebecois speak excellent French and quite a few French don't speak very good French. You will find some of the Quebecois words are from old French from a couple of hundred years ago. This shouldn't be a problem for your child. Perhaps her particular teacher is not great.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:52 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bencoles
Quebec written grammar is supposed to be identical to French written grammar. The spoken language is another thing but even so many Quebecois speak excellent French and quite a few French don't speak very good French. You will find some of the Quebecois words are from old French from a couple of hundred years ago. This shouldn't be a problem for your child. Perhaps her particular teacher is not great.
I have heard that, from a comparison of the literature, Quebecois is quite similar to the French that was spoken by the original settlers and much more so than current French French.

As you say, though, what comes out of people's mouths often bears little resemblance to any written language.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Newone
Hi everyone!
found this forum a very interesting for myself. My husband is Canadian, moved from Canada years ago, but always wanted to go back. We've started thinking about relocating (hmmm .....he's started ) I’ve never been in Canada and going to visit country next spring. I had a lot of questions before, but found a few answers on this forum now – great!
Still can’t find anything about Canadian educational system. Our youngest son is now at grade 9 here in UK (age 14 y/o) . He is now in Catholic school - we are not too religious, just this school is a very good one, on the top of the list in our area.
Does Canadian school system the same as in UK or there are some differences or this is completely different?
How did you find school education in comparison with UK?
Thanks
As a whole and most definitely outside the cities, their education system upto entry into Uni` is more focused on individual rather than mass teaching.

Their towns are almost still "cottage" like in how many per class per teacher.

Their school bus system is based around your child uses the bus for school and you have to give a good reason why you would want to bring them in.

I would say that there is one major difference, which is also found at an even greater shocking level in the US, school age children are ignorant of World events, compared to UK children.