Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Query about booze

Query about booze

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Question Query about booze

I've noticed that there have been a lot of posts about alcohol, what's the best, where and when you can buy it, etc....I've got a bit of a different question.

My husband and I don't touch alcohol. He's teetotal, and I'm allergic, so we never have the stuff in (understandably). At 25 and 29, we're seen as very unusual in our peer groups, as most (not all) people can't understand NOT drinking alcohol by CHOICE.

What's the attitude in Canada towards drinking? Is it just expected that you will have a beer or a glass of wine with a meal, and would you be considered rude if you opted out? I would imagine if we were going to throw a party it would either be BYOB or we'd get some beers in for others, but I was curious if the attitude is different over there...any thoughts?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Query about booze

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
What's the attitude in Canada towards drinking?
On a personal level, I don't think there is one attitude. I think it really depends who you hangout with. I know a lot of people in Canada who don't drink; for most of them it's because the risk of alcoholism for them is a risk they don't want to take, others just don't like the taste but I and others don't perceive it as weird not to drink. There are probably social circles where there is pressure to drink but they certainly do not dominate, not as far I as I see it anyway.

On the societal level though, I think attitudes do differ between Canada and the UK. In some areas alcohol is not allowed period. In most (all?) public places you can not drink alcohol at all (on the west coast, if you sit down by the ocean and smoke a joint it's very unlikely you're going to get any hassle but crack open a bottle of wine?! there's a good chance it will be conficated and that you'll be told to 'move along'). Cops are really anal about alcohol in public - I don't think you can even carry unopened booze around unless it's in a bag (hidden) but I'm not 100% sure about that.

In many, if not most municipalities, you could be hauled off to the drunk tank (jail for the night) if you're being a drunk pain in the ass in public. I used to think that was a bit harsh but after being in a few cities in the UK on a Friday night, I think I prefer the more fascist approach in policing found in Canada - in this specific aspect anyway... although when I'm taking a long train trip in the UK, I love being able to sip a cider along the way.

Is it just expected that you will have a beer or a glass of wine with a meal, and would you be considered rude if you opted out?
No and no. A simple 'thanks but I don't drink' should be sufficient and accepted in most cases. I think in most social circles there is minimal social pressure to drink. People generally 'get' that alcohol isn't for everyone. I have found it to be similar in the UK; a British friend of mine doesn't drink and gets more grief because he doesn't like coffee.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

HaggisHunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't generally drink and haven't had any problems attending functions where alcohol is served. So far no one has questioned my preference to just have a coke.

HH
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

That's reassuring. I hate the "what? Of course you want a real drink!" comments etc. when I just ask for a coke or water.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

I'm rather curious on your comment about the risk of alcoholism and I'm just wondering if you could expand on that? Is it a personal perception or was there a study I missed at sometime?

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]On a personal level, I don't think there is one attitude. I think it really depends who you hangout with. I know a lot of people in Canada who don't drink; for most of them it's because the risk of alcoholism for them is a risk they don't want to take, others just don't like the taste but I and others don't perceive it as weird not to drink. There are probably social circles where there is pressure to drink but they certainly do not dominate, not as far I as I see it anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Not long back from 3 weeks in London Ontario

I was very suprised that I did not see one drunk walking down the streets.
In Glasgow you would be gauranteed to see many drunks walking down the street

When I was over I went into Loblaws, looking for some beer, after many trips up the aisles, searching in vain, I had to ask a shop assistant. I was very suprised at his answer, "We dont sell beer or spirits in here".

He explained to me that beer and spirits could only be purchased at licensed Govt shops, The Beer Store and the LCBO. I think this idea as brilliant as it stops the teenagers hanging about outside the supermarkets asking adults to get them booze, also it is more regulated and controlled. These shops were fairly busy, in fact the lady in front of me spent nearly $800 on just wine and spirits, a lot of wonga wonga !!!!!! for wines and spirits.

Every shop / newsagents / supermarket / cornershop in the UK sells booze, I get really pissed of at the local CHAVS asking me to get them booze, so Canada you have a brilliant system

Eddie
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We took a holiday rental in Calgary last year. When the owner was showing us around the house we asked where the nearest liquor store was as we had been into the nearest big supermarket on the way and had not seen one near there.

Well, he actually scratched his head and said he'd never been asked that before! He himself did not drink.

We explained we quite liked a glass of wine with a meal, and I wondered for a moment if we had said something really bad , but he didn't seem to mind, just didn't know the answer!

He had a guess at the nearest mall where there might be one, and turned out to be right!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Sheila and Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the attitude in Canada towards drinking?
I believe in Ontario alcohol is illegal and in many others the
drinking age is 32.
Bizarely however smoking Cannabis is compulsory in BC and not
doing so can land you a fine or even imprisonment.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:25 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I've noticed that there have been a lot of posts about alcohol, what's the best, where and when you can buy it, etc....I've got a bit of a different question.

My husband and I don't touch alcohol. He's teetotal, and I'm allergic, so we never have the stuff in (understandably). At 25 and 29, we're seen as very unusual in our peer groups, as most (not all) people can't understand NOT drinking alcohol by CHOICE.

What's the attitude in Canada towards drinking? Is it just expected that you will have a beer or a glass of wine with a meal, and would you be considered rude if you opted out? I would imagine if we were going to throw a party it would either be BYOB or we'd get some beers in for others, but I was curious if the attitude is different over there...any thoughts?

Some of the attitude is brillient. As the designated driver on our nights out - I usually pay for my first non alcholic drink and the rest are free (I queried my bill first time that happened!)

People tend not to bring as much booze to parties here as they did in UK (but this is a small sample group)

Clare

PS drink driving is more prevalent and more socially acceptable For example our drink driving premier who has just been voted in again
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Some of the attitude is brilliant. As the designated driver on our nights out - I usually pay for my first non alcholic drink and the rest are free (I queried my bill first time that happened!)

People tend not to bring as much booze to parties here as they did in UK (but this is a small sample group)

Clare

PS drink driving is more prevalent and more socially acceptable For example our drink driving premier who has just been voted in again
They charged you for the first soft drink too, cheap outfit.

Same here in Alberta though a few places I've been to didn't charge for drinks (soft of course) if you mentioned at the outset that you were the designated driver.

Mind that was a few years ago now, I don't frequent bars or pubs anymore as they are still smoking establishments here and my cardiologist would have a fit if he heard I was in one.

A single glass of red wine per day is my intake for medicinal reasons only.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:05 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hangman
They charged you for the first soft drink too, cheap outfit.

Same here in Alberta though a few places I've been to didn't charge for drinks (soft of course) if you mentioned at the outset that you were the designated driver.

Mind that was a few years ago now, I don't frequent bars or pubs anymore as they are still smoking establishments here and my cardiologist would have a fit if he heard I was in one.

A single glass of red wine per day is my intake for medicinal reasons only.

In BC the pubs are smoke free
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:25 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smokey
I'm rather curious on your comment about the risk of alcoholism and I'm just wondering if you could expand on that? Is it a personal perception or was there a study I missed at sometime?
I think it's just their personal percepetion. The people I know who don't drink because of their risk come from families where there is a history of alcoholism. I don't know whether alcoholism has a genetic factor or not but 'a family history' is enough for a lot of people I know who choose to to be dry. Also some people I know choose to be dry to help other family members and friends quit boozing. I hope that makes sense!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheila and Andy
I believe in Ontario alcohol is illegal and in many others the
drinking age is 32.
Bizarely however smoking Cannabis is compulsory in BC and not
doing so can land you a fine or even imprisonment.
Booze isn't illegal - you just have to go to the Beer Store or the LCBO to buy it. You're not allowed to have alcohol in the passenger area of your car, you have to transport it in the boot/trunk. I don't think the legal age to drink is as high as 32 - maybe check out with someone already there, I may be wrong!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

Interesting thread........

Speaking personally the fact that alcohol sales are restricted to mostly government run operations is, I find, bizarre. In my experience they are not overly ubiquitous and opening hours are not great.

Also - if you go into an LCBO or whatever you can buy [say] a bottle of gin to take away but they don't sell mixers, so you have to go to a 7-11 to buy your tonic. It's just less convenient than in the UK for the consumer.

I don't know if this is cross-Canada but in downtown Toronto one evening, whilst dining alone, I was told that it's illegal for restaurants to serve a single person a bottle of wine in one go?

Why? You can order 6 glasses in succession no bother.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I am going to get cruxified for this,
but alcohol is not cheap....and in Canada it is really expensive, I do not drink either and find that tooooooo many brits drink way to much.
Pubs on every corner, off license, Tesco's, asda's. sainsbury, you get the idea, alcohol on a par is much cheaper in the UK, the drinking age is too low as well.

When ever we go to a pub I take a look around just to see how many of us tea granny's are there, and in most cases we are the only table without alcohol....why do brits insist on drinking for every occasion, glass of wine with your meals...drink water is better for you and doesn't disguise the taste of your food....every time we go to a friends place the first thing they ask is "wine or beer"...ummmm no thanks tea is fine thank you...
I have seen soo many people to allow their underage children to have a glass of wine with their meals, THEY DON'T NEED IT...then UK wonders why they have a nation of binge drinkers???
I am glad that Canada has the LCBO and beer stores, it keeps kids out for starters, and they never used to be open on Sundays til some nitwit government official decided they could make more money with sunday openings...(at least they were open Sunday when I left Ont)

My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and his friends know why he does not drink any more, but they get a few drinks in them, forget and start offering or buying drinks for him....now isn't that a real bright thing to do???

Canada has its boozers as well, but UK has ALOT more of them....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.