Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Query about baby passport

Query about baby passport

Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Query about baby passport

Am 5 months pregnant atm and will prob go to England next May when the baby is 4 months old on my own.

We looked into getting both a Canadian passport and UK passport, but since to get UK is around 200 pounds we have decided against it for the time being.

I know I need a letter from the father, that is fine. But is it 100% fine me travelling with the baby on a Canadian passport? The journey will be stressful enough without having any worries about this.

Also how do you get a decent passport photo of the baby? lol
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query about baby passport

Originally Posted by babsi
Also how do you get a decent passport photo of the baby? lol
I don't know the answer to your other questions. In response to this question, we got a passport for our older son when he was a baby, before he could sit on his own. My husband took the photo. We sat our son on a table and, from behind, I propped up his back and neck with one arm and hand. My hand and arm didn't show on the photo.

I don't know if you would call it a "decent" photo. Our son had quite an idiotic expression on his face. But it's kind of fun to look back on it now.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query about baby passport

Congrats!

Do you mean will you have difficulty being on a different passport than your baby? I don't think so, I've never done it alone but me and Jr travel on Canadian and Mr B travels on British. I can never carry child/luggage/etc alone whilst Mr B goes through the "UK and EU" channel so I make him come with me through the "Other" channel. The officials are always fine with this. The only time I've had grief was in the USA from a snotty immigration official who would not let us go through the US/Canada channel together because one of the three of us did not have a US/Canadian passport. Really sympathetic to a screaming baby, he sat and twiddled his thumbs whilst we queued up to be processed by his colleague 2 feet away

As for the photo, we took Jr to a regular photo shop at 2wks old, "sat" him on the stool, held his head up with 4 adult hands (clearly visible with watches, and rings as well on the photo) and they snapped a shot. You would never recognise him in a million years. The customs official when I cleared our container had never seen anything so funny in his life and got all his colleagues to come and have a look at this ridiculous picture. I checked with the Canadian High Commission and they said it was okay for hands to be in the shot, this was 2yrs ago but I'm sure it's still allowed.

A friend took a digital pic of her son herself, laying on a white sheet on her living room floor. That was for a UK passport and was accepted just fine.

Good luck, enjoy the quiet plane ride while it lasts...when they start walking it's 8hrs of hell!!!!