Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quebec... Will my kids have to change schools if we become PR's?

Quebec... Will my kids have to change schools if we become PR's?

Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

angeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the rough
Default Quebec... Will my kids have to change schools if we become PR's?

Hi all,

We're currently in Montreal on TWP's and my children are both at schools on the Lester B Pearson board. Looking to the future I have been told that if we become permanent residents (which is our intention) they will have to move and attend french only speaking schools. I assumed that they would be able to continue their education at their current school?
Is this true? Any advice would be appreciated ,
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quebec... Will my kids have to change schools if we become PR's?

You should check with the school board. Going on my (frequently deficient) memory, you *may* qualify for one of the Qc loopholes regarding schooling, language & immigration.

The loophole I am thinking of is the one that states (paraphrasing, but I can look it up if you wish - let me know) that a student who has done the *majority* of his/her schooling *in Canada*, in the English language, is eligible to attend school in English in Quebec. Lester B will know all the ins & outs :-)

HTH, if it doesn't, give me a shout !

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 1st 2014 at 8:47 pm. Reason: Ambiguity
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
The loophole I am thinking of is the one that states (paraphrasing, but I can look it up if you wish - let me know) that a student who has done the *majority* of his/her schooling *in Canada*, in the English language, is eligible to attend school in English in Quebec.
Doesn't that exclude children of TWP holder's though? I thought that clause did.

Edit: just looked it up and it says:

5. Is the child attending or did he or she attend the majority of English Elementary or Secondary school in English in Canada?
(Excluding Private schools in Quebec and those children attending an English school in Quebec on a Temporary Stay Certificate of Eligibility)

It then goes on to say:

If the parents status in Canada changes from Temporary Stay to Permanent Resident the Temporary Stay Certificate of Eligibility can not be renewed.

OP, one way to get around it if you really don't want your children educated in French is to look at private schools? Personally I'd jump at the chance - giving my children the opportunity to become bilingual would be fab imo, and if you're planning on staying in Quebec longer term then it would be very advantageous if they spoke French! But if you're really against it, then I think private schooling is your only option.

For info on schooling options after becoming PR's - http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/services_en...tration_en.asp

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 1st 2014 at 9:26 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected :-( Once upon a time it was a legit work around...

I haven't had time to go look up the relevant legislation, but I have a nagging feeling that there may be a loophole ( will come back when/if I find it, or not)

Edited to add, there is. It boils down to legal hoopla. I'm not sure I want to go there :-( I can say that if the OP feels strongly about her children not changing schools, she should consult the school board, & eventually, possibly a lawyer.

Note that the private school route only works if the school receives NO government funding; it may be surprising to some that many private schools in Qc do.

I'll add that my children went through the French public school system in Qc. I sound like a broken record, but I'm going to repeat my opinion that French is an indispensable advantage living here, & may pay dividends for future careers ;-) but as Angeljaye is living here, she knows that :-)

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 1st 2014 at 9:57 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:04 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I sound like a broken record,
No you don't...it will seem at times that your "knowledge of all things Quebec" are different from mine and others.

I lived in Quebec previously, kid attended school there, and I happen to understand and speak the lingo too

christmasoompa's information is spot on for someone that doesn't live in Quebec...impressive!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
christmasoompa's information is spot on for someone that doesn't live in Quebec...impressive!
Hubby's head office is in Montreal, so it was an option at one point, and I remember looking in to it - although for me, the French schooling was a massive plus point. So I was interested enough to Google it again!

Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:11 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hubby's head office is in Montreal, so it was an option at one point, and I remember looking in to it - although for me, the French schooling was a massive plus point. So I was interested enough to Google it again!

I think the daycare system there should be the standard for every province is Canada. Quebec gets some bad rap, but boy do they do a lot of things right, and it's the closest thing / feeling that you get to being in Europe.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you don't...it will seem at times that your "knowledge of all things Quebec" are different from mine and others.

I lived in Quebec previously, kid attended school there, and I happen to understand and speak the lingo too

I would replace the word "knowledge" by "experience". ;-) I've been here in Qc for a long time. And willingly admit that my experiences are very different from most here. I was already bilingual before arriving here, emigrated on a wing & a prayer ;-), have no degree, & have never lived in Mtl. I'm a country bumpkin :-) But I made it work for me & the offspring.

Through some freelance, & also volunteer work, I got involved in language/immigration issues, which eventually led me here to BE.

S :-)
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:45 pm
Banned

I would replace the word "knowledge" by "experience". ;-) I've been here in Qc for a long time. And willingly admit that my experiences are very different from most here. I was already bilingual before arriving here, emigrated on a wing & a prayer ;-), have no degree, & have never lived in Mtl. I'm a country bumpkin :-) But I made it work for me & the offspring.

Through some freelance, & also volunteer work, I got involved in language/immigration issues, which eventually led me here to BE.

S :-)
Thanks for sharing that...still calling BS on my common law relationship point and the disparity in income that can lead to spousal support Canada wide then....in light of links I provided?

I don't expect you to say "you stand corrected"
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for sharing that...still calling BS on my common law relationship point and the disparity in income that can lead to spousal support Canada wide then....in light of links I provided?

I don't expect you to say "you stand corrected"
This is not the thread for the discussion you reference. Let's keep it there.

I'll call BS, or admit to error ("stand corrected") where & whenever necessary.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh. Post something in French, g'wan. You know it'll sound sexy.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:06 pm
Banned

This is not the thread for the discussion you reference. Let's keep it there.

I'll call BS, or admit to error ("stand corrected") where & whenever necessary.

I'll take that as you subliminal "I stand corrected" ....tis OK
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ooh. Post something in French, g'wan. You know it'll sound sexy.
Vous, Monsieur Neuchâtel, vous êtes un "troll baiter" de premier ordre ;-) Chapeau :-)
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll take that as you subliminal "I stand corrected" ....tis OK
:-( See my reply above. No. I don't do subliminal.

Garde tes commentaires et "renseignements" erronés la ou ils sont de propos.
(Apologies for missing accents, my phone is less intelligent than it thinks ;-( )
HTH
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

a little bit of French here is a welcome change but I predict someone out there will object

17. Language of Use
The language of use for this site is to be English only. Any "discussions" on this site should be in English, and any "discussions" comprising of a different language (or excessive text speech) will be removed. Exceptions to this rule are small one line inclusions of when it is deemed appropriate: such as language questions/discussions in the Italy forum, for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.