Reload this Page >

QUEBEC LMO QUESTION?

QUEBEC LMO QUESTION?

Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:37 am
Just Joined

mission impossible is an unknown quantity at this point
Question QUEBEC LMO QUESTION?

Hi,

Is there anyone who knows how long for Quebec LMO? And Cert of acceptance. Haven't even sent in application yet. O/h employer wants him by Christmas (I just can't see that).
Also, we need to live about 20/45 mins drive from LaChine. Employer recommends Beaconsfield, but the property prices are rather expensive. Does anyone know where else is english speaking? (we have 3 kids so need a bilingual school) and we don't speak french at all

Any advice on Quebec would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:46 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: QUEBEC LMO QUESTION?

Have no advice on Quebec LMO, but if its as long as AB and SK.....how long is a piece of string?????????????????????????

Get it sent in quick if that where you want to go.

PM Souvenir...he lives in Quebec.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Hi Alvic,

Yes u have a point. I have been trawling through 40 or so pages of the HRSDC timeline saga which was posted months ago. It makes for scary reading.

We didn't choose Montreal, it chose us. I have serious concerns re: my boys schooling. The eldest is 12 and he's a really bright lad, Quebec could be a serious mistake if he has to do french immersion I am having a negative day today Tomorrow I will be ready to face the challenge. I feel very naive when I read other folks stories, but I am learning. Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission impossible
We didn't choose Montreal, it chose us. I have serious concerns re: my boys schooling. The eldest is 12 and he's a really bright lad, Quebec could be a serious mistake if he has to do french immersion
In fact if you are permanent residents, he has to enter the standard French language system until age 16.

If you're temporary, he can go to the English system (including French immersion).

You may want to investigate what Montreal French language schools do to integrate non-French speaking children. Some probably do better than others.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mission impossible
Hi Alvic,

Yes u have a point. I have been trawling through 40 or so pages of the HRSDC timeline saga which was posted months ago. It makes for scary reading.

We didn't choose Montreal, it chose us. I have serious concerns re: my boys schooling. The eldest is 12 and he's a really bright lad, Quebec could be a serious mistake if he has to do french immersion I am having a negative day today Tomorrow I will be ready to face the challenge. I feel very naive when I read other folks stories, but I am learning. Thanks
Dont worry - we all have many many days like that
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alvic
Dont worry - we all have many many days like that
Yep
Alvic is having 1 today
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
Yep
Alvic is having 1 today
Yeah...tomorrow is going to be good

I think I'm going to look for a cheap package holiday
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all
Smile Re: QUEBEC LMO QUESTION?

Hi

We have now lived in montreal for a year, we are here on my husbands WP which only took 6 weeks to get. We currently live(rent) in Westmount with a 5yr & 12 week old,we too do not speak any french at all, everybody speaks english when they want to !!
Our son started french immersion school and at present isnt having any problems at all considering it is 100% french in kindergarten.
You can also look into English private schools( mainly in the westmount area) which are very resonable.There are plenty of english schools also but you will need to get a certificate of acceptance first.
Will you be renting or buying?
Places to look would be Pointe-claire, Beaconsfield,DDO and Kirkland.There is a very good English School in pointe-claire.
MLS , firstcorp.ca, montreal.kijiji.ca are all very good sites for property.

Your children will love montreal, loads to do and very child friendly
Good Luck
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. I have been on my computer all night checking out schools in quebec. I've got square eyes! Saved a ton of websites to my favourites box - they can keep till tomorrow when my eyes are refreshed Thanks again and goodnight
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lounan
Hi

We have now lived in montreal for a year, we are here on my husbands WP which only took 6 weeks to get. We currently live(rent) in Westmount with a 5yr & 12 week old,we too do not speak any french at all, everybody speaks english when they want to !!
Our son started french immersion school and at present isnt having any problems at all considering it is 100% french in kindergarten.
You can also look into English private schools( mainly in the westmount area) which are very resonable.There are plenty of english schools also but you will need to get a certificate of acceptance first.
Will you be renting or buying?
Places to look would be Pointe-claire, Beaconsfield,DDO and Kirkland.There is a very good English School in pointe-claire.
MLS , firstcorp.ca, montreal.kijiji.ca are all very good sites for property.

Your children will love montreal, loads to do and very child friendly
Good Luck
Oh my...
This is totally off the point but I grew up in Westmount - on Westmount Avenue I think???? I went to Westmount park all the time too. I was there btw 73-79!!! showing my age! Anyway, would love to hear what it's like now - there was a pub my late dad would take us to for an orange juice on a sunday, call 'the peak'.??? is that still there. I went to a school called Villa St Marceline? It was a french school. Quite scared to know the answers to theese questions, but would also love to know...

sorry to hijack post = PM if feel it's best.....

Bandit!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all

Hi

Funny thing we are from surrey too !! We are just near the arena, don't think there is a pub ? Don't think i've heard of that school so maybe not around anymore!! Westmount park school (english)is still there opposite the park.
Loads of boutique shops, very cliquey and english.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Lounan

I am not sure the pub was in Westmount, I know it was near or on a street corner - I was only 4 at the time, memory a bit sketchy!!! LOL!

B
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lounan,

Did you have any trouble getting your Cert of acceptance, just wondering if it will be a problem as we don't speak any French? But then you said you don't either. O/h future employer doesn't speak French either, in fact they only have 2 bilingual employees.

Don't think we could afford private schools, I checked out one, it was about $9,000 a term (x 3 boys - thats a lot of money!!!!)
Why did you choose Montreal? Do you really like it? What's the best thing about living in Montreal? Are the people friendly? God I am going to miss my best friend soooo much. Anyway, had a look on the sites you mentioned, we will be renting to begin with, but hope to buy as soon as we find the right place. We have 2 dogs and If we're renting have no idea if they will be welcome. Gosh there's just so many things to consider. It's mentally exhausting!!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi mission impossible,
The certificate of acceptance only takes a few weeks but you must have it before they start school, how old are your boys? the prices quoted for private schools are per year not term I can give you more links for schools.

My husband chose Montreal due to his job not me i never wanted to come here I too had to leave my best best friend behindHas taken me over a year to feel better settled, but in my heart this is not the place for me.
The people are very friendly especially if you have kids, people are defo dog lovers here, they are everywhere !!
I don't think you will have much trouble renting with animals.

If your going to live in the places suggested then you will defo need a car, you can get the train into town but they aren't very regular .we dont need one as we have very good transport(metro & buses) on are doorstep, down town is about a 30 min walk.

Pros- open spaces , less traffic, cheap fuel, children can be children, cheap travel, loads of activities, places to visit and lovely long hot summers.

Cons-Expensive food, adding tax, rubbish shopping, childrens clothes very expensive, very cold in the winter -35.

Sorry this got a bit long,another poster Tallperson is also from england and has 3 boys, i think she lives in DDO she will also beable to help you.

Pm me if there is anything else.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth bother with expensive private schools? Surely your money can be put to better use?

If you do pick Beaconsfied to live then that money will go on housing as it isn't cheap there.

If Lachine is the destination for hubby to earn a living then you could consider being closer to town as there are excellent road links. Me I work in Lachine and it takes me 20 minutes by car and I live only 5 miles north west of the downtown core.

As to schooling it will most probably be 'en francais'. Your children are still young and will adapt. They will turn out bilingual which is a big plus. French immersion is going to benefit them immensely. (My dad put me in a french only school in Lausanne when I was 11 and I picked up French in no time. )

I appreciate your concern though.

Good luck.

Last edited by montreal mike; Oct 16th 2007 at 1:37 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.