Reload this Page >

Quebec Health Care

Quebec Health Care

Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quebec Health Care

Hello,

I am moving to quebec, as a canadian citizen who has never resided in canada. Im looking into whether or not i need to organise some health insurance and found this

"The following individuals are eligible for coverage regardless of health, age or financial status: Canadian Citizen or his spouse who takes up residence in Canada for the first time "

Does this mean that in my case there is no qualifying period for the provincial health program, or just that at the end of the qualifying period I cannot be refused cover?

http://www.benefits.org/menu/prov-section.htm#topofpage

Thanks
rizz
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quebec Health Care

Originally Posted by rizzelator
Hello,

I am moving to quebec, as a canadian citizen who has never resided in canada. Im looking into whether or not i need to organise some health insurance and found this

"The following individuals are eligible for coverage regardless of health, age or financial status: Canadian Citizen or his spouse who takes up residence in Canada for the first time "

Does this mean that in my case there is no qualifying period for the provincial health program, or just that at the end of the qualifying period I cannot be refused cover?

Thanks
rizz
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoye...tre_prov.shtml

Persons Arriving From Another Canadian Province

Persons arriving from another province to take up residence in Québec become eligible for the Health Insurance Plan when they cease to be covered by the plan of their province of origin. Generally speaking, coverage under the Québec plan begins on the first day of the third month following the month of their arrival in Québec. They receive their Health Insurance Card within two weeks of the date they become covered by the Québec plan.

For as long as you remain covered by the health insurance plan of your province of origin, you must present your health insurance card of that province when receiving healthcare from a doctor in Québec. The health insurance plan of your province will cover the cost. However, if the doctor does not accept that card, you will have to pay the doctor's fee and then apply for a refund to the organization administering the health insurance plan of your province of origin.

Here is how to submit an application for registration.

Step 1: Fill out the registration form

First, obtain the required form from the Régie de l'assurance maladie.

Next, check the information appearing on the form and make corrections if necessary. Be sure to sign the form.

Step 2: Attach the required proof-of-identity documents

You must attach certain documents to your registration form. After duplicating them, the Régie will return any original documents to you within 30 days, but you won't receive them at the same time as your Health Insurance Card.

Instead of an original document, you may submit a certified true copy from the issuing organization.

Canadian citizens

Canadian citizens must attach to their form the original of one of the following documents:

* their Birth Certificate;
* their Certificate of Canadian Citizenship;
* their Canadian passport;
* their Copy of an Act of Birth.

Permanent residents

Permanent residents must attach to their form the original of:

* their Canadian immigration document attesting to their permanent resident status;
* their Québec selection certificate, in most cases.

Indians recognized by the Canadian Department of Indian and Northern Affairs

Indians born outside Canada must attach to their form the original of their Indian status certificate issued by the Canadian Department of Indian and Northern Affairs, and the original of their Birth Certificate.

Indians born in Canada must attach to their form one of the documents that Canadian citizens have to submit.

Foreign nationals

Foreign nationals must attach to their form the originals of their Canadian and Québec immigration documents.

Step 3: Attach proof of residence in Québec

In addition to the required proof-of-identity documents, you must submit a document attesting that you reside in Québec. A single proof of residence can be used for a family, if all family members living at the same address register simultaneously.

Step 4: Have your photo taken

To obtain a Health Insurance Card, you must in most cases provide your signature and a photo meeting specifications established by the government. The section on photo and signature explains who must have their photo taken and what the procedure is.

Remaining covered by the plan

For information about the conditions you must fulfill to remain covered by the Health Insurance Plan as a person arriving in Québec from another Canadian province, refer to the section on temporary stays outside Québec.

Prescription drug insurance

Persons covered by the Health Insurance Plan may, under certain conditions, register for the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Quebec Health Care

Hi There,

When I moved back to BC as a Canadian Citizen I called MSP and asked them what proof I needed to show that I have returned to Canada. They commented that I didn't need anything - only to fill out the form. Given that, I simply stated that I returned 3 months before I actually did! This was over two years ago! They can't really check when you landed!!

Good luck

Originally Posted by rizzelator
Hello,

Thanks
rizz