Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Qualification suitability

Qualification suitability

Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Dr. Who is an unknown quantity at this point

No I think I get your drift Mad Bunny. You are saying that training for psychiatric nurses here is similar to the training psychiatrists get, in that you need to take general medicine before you specialize in psychiatry. I suppose their rational is that anyone who calles themselves a "nurse" here has to have an education in general medicine first. Now you don't have an education in general medicine as a nurse, you don't want it, you do not plan to get it, and instead you want them to change their entire reistration and educational system so that you can get a job as a nurse with no medical background on a psych ward.

As I said, I am really sorry you get the wrong information before you came, I can only imagine how frustrating it is. But realistically, if they change the system for you they will then have to change it for everyone who comes from a different country and does not have the qualifications to work here in a given field. Can you imagine the chaos!

Have you considered other options? What about social work? You may find that here, social workers do much of what "nurses" with no medical background did in the UK under the RMN designation. So that way you might get to do a similar job but it will take less time to upgrade. It usually takes 4 years for a BSW but you may be able to negotiate it in 2 or 3 years. Problem with this is that in Canada most social work jobs in mental health require a Master's degree so you will need to add another 9-12 months on that too. But even with this option, again it is going to require that you find out the way things are done here and adjust to it, rather than expect them to change everything to adjust to you.

the doc
Old Jul 5th 2004, 2:40 am
mad bunny

Please Beam Me Up Scottie!
I am a 'Nurse'...I can take your 'vitals', I can take your bloods (a lot of geneal nurses cannot do that). I went on a training course to take bloods, and as part of that course it was also to qualifiy to do I/V Lines(Intravenous Lines/Drips) for drugs. I did'nt stick around for that part of the course..only to realise after that the course was integral. You could'nt pass one without the other! I passed both..no problem..because a drugs a drug and the technique is pretty much the same whether it be via drip, injection , or oral. I left the I.V. certificate with the instructor..as of no consequence or use to me.
You are assuming that mental health has no physical connection, and you are incorrect..I can understand why..but you are incorrect.
I recently spoke with a Canadian Nurse, who advised me that I would be frustrated it I were to work as a Canadian Nurse, because I would be unable to utilise my skills.
I was very much an autonomous practitioner, within a multi-disciplinary field.
I do not want them to change their way of nursing for me..now that would be arrogant..but in all honesty and with a touch of common sense..'doc'..how could I NOT be more higly trained to work with..lets say E.M.I (Elderly Mentally Infirm)...old people with Dementia or Altzheimer's. Especially when I was employed as a Deputy Manager/Matron of a nursing home. On top of that..not even as a P.S.W (Care Assistant).
There has recently been a report/investigation into the 'bad' state of affairs in Canadian nursing homes for the elderly mentally ill. It acknowledged an appalling lack of care and knowledge. The Minister was Montique Smith.
Now if the P.S.W's are not trained in areas of mental health..and the nurses only get 6 weeks..and I only want to work in Mental Health...even as a P.S.W..never mind the 'Nurse' Label, why can't I? What's the problem here? That's what I am asking! Why should I have to re-train for 4-6 months as a P.S.W when they have NO TRAINING in Mental Health...understand my frustration!
Why is it that with all my training and my significant clinical experience, I cannot even get a job as a care assistant..when the Canadian's are undertaking research that indicates their systems are failing?
Sorry, now that is arrogant!
Especially when you appreciate that British Nursing has one of the highest standards in the world....No wonder your S.E.N. wife found the test 'Easy'.
When my husband was in hospital recently, his named nurse was Australian...Kylie would you believe it...also suggested the test was easy. I took a 'test' online that was supposed to be for B.C. psychiatric nurses to assess if they were suitable to apply for a psychiatric nurses position...well I laughed...and then I cried!
So I'm not being arrogant. well I don't think I am, I'm just saying I have pertinent qualifications..look at them.
The Canadian Nursing Association agree!
This thread started of with a british nurse..who is working to a diploma level in learning disabilities asking if her qualifications were transferable...I hope she has got the drift!
End Of!......You can have the last word on this. Me I'm looking forward to moving to our new house...don't ya just love Canada?