QROPS or not?

Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QROPS or not?

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
But I remember Singapore QROPS being specifically removed by HMRC; this was appealed and lost, I think because the scheme was not open to Singaporean residents. This hardly seems like a "no approval process".

The fact it was removed shows that the list is not an approved list.

The wording was changed when HMRC dropped the Qualifying from the name. HMRC had the following wording on their site.

This list is based on information provided to HMRC by non-UK schemes when they notify HMRC they meet the conditions to be a QROPS. Publication on the list should not be seen as confirmation by HMRC that it has verified all of the information supplied by the scheme in its notification.

The purpose of this list is merely to help UK registered pension schemes carry out their due diligence when transferring pension savings to another pension scheme that is not a registered pension scheme.

The list is not to be taken as a recommendation for a particular scheme or product. Nor should it be taken that any scheme featured on the list is approved or backed by HMRC.

If you are referring the the Panthera QROPS case ( ref Singapore ) the appeal was overturned in favour of Panthera and HMRC lost the case.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not tax-free in Canada.
Yes, I know. That is why I said what I did. That a factor to consider is that in the UK you can get a 25% PCLS fro age 55 onwards, you can't in Canada. That's why I have done what I have.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 2:54 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Otto The Squid
The fact it was removed shows that the list is not an approved list.

The wording was changed when HMRC dropped the Qualifying from the name. HMRC had the following wording on their site.

This list is based on information provided to HMRC by non-UK schemes when they notify HMRC they meet the conditions to be a QROPS. Publication on the list should not be seen as confirmation by HMRC that it has verified all of the information supplied by the scheme in its notification.

The purpose of this list is merely to help UK registered pension schemes carry out their due diligence when transferring pension savings to another pension scheme that is not a registered pension scheme.

The list is not to be taken as a recommendation for a particular scheme or product. Nor should it be taken that any scheme featured on the list is approved or backed by HMRC.

If you are referring the the Panthera QROPS case ( ref Singapore ) the appeal was overturned in favour of Panthera and HMRC lost the case.
But just as recently as April 2015, HMRC moved to close 40% of QROPS in Australia. Why would they be doing any of this if there wasn't an approval process in place. I do agree that approval should not be seen as a recommendation.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
But just as recently as April 2015, HMRC moved to close 40% of QROPS in Australia. Why would they be doing any of this if there wasn't an approval process in place. I do agree that approval should not be seen as a recommendation.
HMRC cannot close pension schemes in other countries. HMRC can merely remove recognition. In that case, all but one were removed from the recognised list as the Australian firms did not confirm that they would not allow access to the under 55s within a deadline.

Recognising a pension is not the same as approving it. NMRC do not approve or recommend.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Dozzpot is on a distinguished road

This provided more useful info regarding the tax situation when it comes to drawing pensions from the UK (not for a few years yet though...).
The only other concern is what the impact of the exchange rate will be at the time but that is pure crystal ball stuff I suppose.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dozzpot
.... The only other concern is what the impact of the exchange rate will be at the time but that is pure crystal ball stuff I suppose.
The big international banks employee economists and currency dealers but can't reliably predict what the exchange rate will be even next week - if they could they'd be raking in huge profits on currency trading, but they're not.

So I would definitely try not to stress about it because unless you move your pension, which as discussed above may or may not be a good idea, or even possible, it is something you have very few options to affect by more than a few percent.

Some people who don't need their pension every month accumulate it in a bank account in the UK then move it when the exchange rate is favourable, or just move a little when they need money and the rate is bad.