Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Public sector strike in Canada?

Public sector strike in Canada?

Old Apr 14th 2023, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Public sector strike in Canada?

Just wondering is this all scaremongering, or is there really a public sector strike on the way?

My passport is up for renewal this year and certainly I don't want to wait a lifetime for that to be renewed.

Same as travel. Would we expect those long queues and backups at airports just like after Covid?
Old Apr 17th 2023, 10:06 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Public sector strike in Canada?

Looks like it might happen on Wednesday. Passport services would be partially or fully disrupted and there could be slowdowns at airports.
Old Apr 18th 2023, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It's the first one for something like 30 years, but it does sound as though it is real, and may well happen.

Includes passports and tax returns, as well as a lot of other services.

There are some who will be working as they are designated "essential services" but I haven't seen anything that really indicates who and what services.
Old Apr 18th 2023, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Agency I work for is NOT going on strike and the last time we were in that position I was given my letter of Designated Essential Service Worker.
Old May 11th 2023, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
It's the first one for something like 30 years, but it does sound as though it is real, and may well happen.

Includes passports and tax returns, as well as a lot of other services.

There are some who will be working as they are designated "essential services" but I haven't seen anything that really indicates who and what services.
I haven't been "Mr current affairs" on this, but it seems the strike is totally over?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rs-strike-deal
Old May 11th 2023, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

Well yes and no Federal worker here - we are back to work but our tentative agreement has yet to be ratified. The PSAC have recommended that members vote to accept the offer but some of the other components within PSAC (ie the CEIU) have recommended that their staff vote no to the agreement. A no vote could cause all kinds of upheaval.