Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

pros and cons of bringing elderly family member to Canada?

pros and cons of bringing elderly family member to Canada?

Old May 15th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default pros and cons of bringing elderly family member to Canada?

Just planning ahead for the future but are there any possible ways to bring an elderly family member to Canada to help care for them in their old age?
The immigration procedure usually has a medical test, which I imagine anyone over the age of 75 will probably never pass so what can you do to help care for a family member.
I also imagine that someone over 75 could still come to Canada for 6 months per year with travel/medical insurance and immigration would have no problem with it?
Old May 15th 2016, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pros and cons of bringing elderly family member to Canada?

Originally Posted by Scribble
Just planning ahead for the future but are there any possible ways to bring an elderly family member to Canada to help care for them in their old age?
The immigration procedure usually has a medical test, which I imagine anyone over the age of 75 will probably never pass so what can you do to help care for a family member.
I also imagine that someone over 75 could still come to Canada for 6 months per year with travel/medical insurance and immigration would have no problem with it?
I presume you are referring to either a parent or grandparent.

They can be sponsored as temporary residents by applying for the Super Visa. This is a 10 year visa...which allows parents/grandparents to stay in Canada for 2 years. After that time it may be renewed for another two years. A medical is required and Canadian medical insurance must be purchased. This will most likely cost several thousand per year. We have been in Canada for the last 2 1/2 years...and have recently renewed the SV.

Parent and grandparent super visa

You can also act as sponsor for permanent residency. Each year the applications open on Jan 1st....only 10,000 applicants are accepted each year. Again a medical is required. We applied Jan 1 2014...I think we will be waiting another couple of years before our PR is finalized...but that's a guess.

Guide 5772 - Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 15th 2016 at 11:33 am.
Old May 15th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

They can be sponsored as temporary residents by applying for the Super Visa. This is a 10 year visa...which allows parents/grandparents to stay in Canada for 2 years. After that time it may be renewed for another two years. A medical is required and Canadian medical insurance must be purchased. This will most likely cost several thousand per year.

You can also act as sponsor for permanent residency. Each year the applications open on Jan 1st....only 10,000 applicants are accepted each year. Again a medical is required. We applied Jan 1 2014...I think we will be waiting another couple of years before our PR is finalized...but that's a guess.

What is the likely response to the medical though for someone aged over 75?
Let's presume they're in good health, I guess they would be accepted.
But what if they're in average health have been diagnosed with something, etc.? If they have insurance does that cover it or is the government worried about people coming over just to use the healthcare system without having ever paid tax in Canada as they never worked here?
Old May 15th 2016, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What is the likely response to the medical though for someone aged over 75?
Let's presume they're in good health, I guess they would be accepted.
But what if they're in average health have been diagnosed with something, etc.? If they have insurance does that cover it or is the government worried about people coming over just to use the healthcare system without having ever paid tax in Canada as they never worked here?
Not sure about the SV...I assume the insurance premium will depend on the age and health of the applicant. Obviously if the insurance company think it is too much of a risk it will be declined. A permanent resident is covered by OHIP after 3 months. If the applicant is deemed to cost the Canadian health system more than approx $6,000K per year I believe they will be declined.

You haven't said what relation this person is to you. My comments refer to a parent or grandparent.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 15th 2016 at 11:44 am.
Old May 15th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure about the SV...I assume the insurance premium will depend on the age and health of the applicant. Obviously if the insurance company think it is too much of a risk it will be declined. A permanent resident is covered by OHIP after 3 months. If the applicant is deemed to cost the Canadian health system more than approx $6,000K per year I believe they will be declined.

You haven't said what relation this person is to you. My comments refer to a parent or grandparent.
parent.
Surely, one emergency visit to the hospital costs more than 6K
Old May 15th 2016, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The cost threshold is determined by multiplying the per capita cost of Canadian health and social services by the number of years used in the medical assessment for the individual applicant. This cost threshold is updated every year.

Effective December 1, 2015, the updated cost threshold is $6,450 per year. This figure is usually multiplied by five (unless the anticipated length of stay is shorter than five years or there is evidence that significant costs are likely to be incurred beyond that period, in which case the period is no more than 10 consecutive years). This results in the legislated threshold of $32,250.
Excessive demand on health and social services

IMHO sponsoring a parent/grandparent for PR status is a lottery. The Liberals increased the number of applications to 10,000 but there were only 5,000 spots available for this year. They want to increase it but will they and by how much as there are well over 10,000 wanting to sponsor parents/grandparents for PR status.

The easiest way is to have them apply for the Super Visa
Determine your eligibility – Visit your children or grandchildren

One downfall to this is the high cost of medical insurance to cover them as once over 70 insurance policies start to rise dramatically.

What isn't spoken about openly and loudly is Visitors or people living in Canada on visitor status only. The general consensus is that because they have not paid or contributed to the healthcare in Canada then if they require these services then they should be paying for it themselves out of pocket or by insurance.
Some visitors can get coverage for health services and that will depend on the plan in the Province where they are living.
Old May 15th 2016, 4:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in 2013 on a supervisa.
Our medical, completed in Manchester, was quite sympathetic and if your parent is in good health then I see little problem. I had highish blood pressure issues and my wife has an underactive thyroid, but these raised no questions.
My age was 66 at the time and health insurance was of the order 2000 pa CAD each.
But.. we understood that such insurance would need to be renewed each year and a claim might have either prompted refusal or a dramatic rise in premiums so we opted not to claim and funded medical costs from our own pocket. Typically this cost us about 125CAD/month for visits to a GP (90CAD/visit) and prescription meds. In addition, there was a statement in the insurance cover to the effect that should excess costs be involved then we might be asked to be repatriated to the UK. Note that as visitors we were required to state that we would retain linkage to the UK and therefore this would be reasonable from their point of view. However, I think that these were likely to have been invoked in extremis only, but the threat remained.
We found it unsettling, since as 'visitors' there are other issues that arise. Hopefully, and perhaps Jerseygirl and FL can confirm, CIC have now got their act together and understand what the supervisa is. We found widespread ignorance when we arrived.
Other than that, being here on a supervisa cut through a great deal of red tape and allowed us to fulfill wishes that would have taken years to achieve otherwise.
Prior to 2013, we visited Canada 2-3 times a year and I found the flights and transfers long and uncomfortable... and no cheaper than our health coverage so all in all we're glad we did it our way.
Old May 15th 2016, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dave_j
We arrived in 2013 on a supervisa.
Our medical, completed in Manchester, was quite sympathetic and if your parent is in good health then I see little problem. I had highish blood pressure issues and my wife has an underactive thyroid, but these raised no questions.
My age was 66 at the time and health insurance was of the order 2000 pa CAD each.
But.. we understood that such insurance would need to be renewed each year and a claim might have either prompted refusal or a dramatic rise in premiums so we opted not to claim and funded medical costs from our own pocket. Typically this cost us about 125CAD/month for visits to a GP (90CAD/visit) and prescription meds. In addition, there was a statement in the insurance cover to the effect that should excess costs be involved then we might be asked to be repatriated to the UK. Note that as visitors we were required to state that we would retain linkage to the UK and therefore this would be reasonable from their point of view. However, I think that these were likely to have been invoked in extremis only, but the threat remained.
We found it unsettling, since as 'visitors' there are other issues that arise. Hopefully, and perhaps Jerseygirl and FL can confirm, CIC have now got their act together and understand what the supervisa is. We found widespread ignorance when we arrived.
Other than that, being here on a supervisa cut through a great deal of red tape and allowed us to fulfill wishes that would have taken years to achieve otherwise.
Prior to 2013, we visited Canada 2-3 times a year and I found the flights and transfers long and uncomfortable... and no cheaper than our health coverage so all in all we're glad we did it our way.
I don't think most immigration officers know anything about the SV...apart from our own FL who has been very helpful to me. We got our SV renewed at the border. Initially the IO in the office said the SV wasn't for people 'like us'...it was for people from China, India etc. In the end she told us to sit down because she would have to read up about it.

She said she would only extend it for 1 year as she could see our PR application was well under way.
Old May 16th 2016, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

They can be sponsored as temporary residents by applying for the Super Visa. This is a 10 year visa...which allows parents/grandparents to stay in Canada for 2 years. After that time it may be renewed for another two years. A medical is required and Canadian medical insurance must be purchased. This will most likely cost several thousand per year. We have been in Canada for the last 2 1/2 years...and have recently renewed the SV.

Problem is I don't think my parent(s) would want to move over even if there was only one of them in need in the future.
They might consider coming over for 2 years on a supervisa but at the point they would be really in need, they would probably fail the medical and not then get let in the country?
Kind of a catch 22.

Last edited by Scribble; May 16th 2016 at 10:54 pm.
Old May 17th 2016, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Problem is I don't think my parent(s) would want to move over even if there was only one of them in need in the future.
They might consider coming over for 2 years on a supervisa but at the point they would be really in need, they would probably fail the medical and not then get let in the country?
Kind of a catch 22.
presumably with a permanent visa they can spend as much time in Canada as necessary and then go back to UK as long as they don't leave for more than 6 months, they would get medical care in the UK also?
Old May 17th 2016, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

presumably with a permanent visa they can spend as much time in Canada as necessary and then go back to UK as long as they don't leave for more than 6 months, they would get medical care in the UK also?
They would need a medical for both the super visa or if they were being sponsored under the parent/grandparent PR route. If they got PR then they would get medical coverage in Canada. The super visa means they are only a visitor and therefore might not be covered under any Canadian province healthcare plan as they all vary and that is why they need medical health insurance coverage.
Much easier to get the super visa if no intention of living in Canada permanently.
If they became PRs in Canada they have to maintain a 730 day (2 yr) physical residence every 5 yrs and if PRs would they still get NHS coverage if going back to the UK as they are now residents of Canada?
Old May 17th 2016, 3:17 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

JerseyGirl/ all- does anyone have any contact details for healthcare insurers to bring a parent over?
Old May 17th 2016, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Roysenchen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
JerseyGirl/ all- does anyone have any contact details for healthcare insurers to bring a parent over?

You can contact Sun Life Canada or Manu-Life Canada for the quote.
http://www.sunlife.ca/
https://www.manulife.ca/

I believes it about CAD$200-300 per month.
Old May 17th 2016, 4:05 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roysenchen
You can contact Sun Life Canada or Manu-Life Canada for the quote.
http://www.sunlife.ca/
https://www.manulife.ca/

I believes it about CAD$200-300 per month.
My mum is 86 and her trips to the doctors are one of her main weekly pleasures... if there was only an extra 0 on the end of that I'd be happy~!
Old May 18th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

And the supervisa is only for 1 parent or both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.