Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property - price trends

Property - price trends

Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Property - price trends

Hi all

Does anyone know of a website that I can look on to view property price trends in Canada, especially New Brunswick?
I have tried Stats Canada but can't find anything useful on there.

Thanks

Penyhp
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property - price trends

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi all

Does anyone know of a website that I can look on to view property price trends in Canada, especially New Brunswick?

Thanks

Penyhp
I can't help you in regards to New Brunswick however here is an article takern from last Saturdays Calgary Herald regarding new house prices in Calgary.

Originally Posted by Calgary Herald

The average price of new homes in Calgary could be at least $100,000 higher next year than it was in 2002, says a federal housing agency.

New single-family homes will likely reach an average of $342,000 -- but could go even higher, says Richard Corriveau of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

By the end of 2002, the average purchase price was $242,386 -- about 41 per cent lower than the 2006 forecast.

In 1989, the average was $142,653, nearly $200,000 less.

"There's no doubt the price rise has been well beyond the rate of inflation over those time periods," said Corriveau following his address to the recent Housing Outlook Conference in Edmonton.

"But there have been price pressures from every angle -- like land, building materials, labour and insurance. You name it, it's been going up."

Depending on these and other factors, including the fact that most homes are larger now than they were 17 years ago, it's possible the average price could hit $350,000, he says.

But there is also the possibility consumer resistance might surface if predicted interest rate hikes of 75 basis points reach the marketplace. One hundred basis points equals one per cent.

If the rates go up, it could push up monthly carrying costs, forcing potential buyers to reduce their expectations for homes by looking for smaller ones or going into multi-family, says Corriveau.

Those costs include the monthly principal and interest payments on the mortgage, as well as taxes and heating.

"Generally, it's not the price of homes that concerns consumers, it's how much is coming out of their pockets each month to pay home ownership costs," he says.

Shane Wenzel, senior vice-president of sales and marketing, agrees $350,000 is quite possible.

"Our average right now is about $325,000, so an increase of $25,000 will likely mean 80 per cent of our 2006 sales will be at $350,000," he said following the conference.

But it has to be remembered that there are still plenty of homes being built in the Calgary marketplace that are priced below the forecast average, says Wenzel. "Builders are attempting to cover as many price points as possible by varying their product selection."
Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:37 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Hangman
I can't help you in regards to New Brunswick however here is an article takern from last Saturdays Calgary Herald regarding new house prices in Calgary.

Cheers
Steve
To follow this:

One of our near neighbours house went on the market last week - it is not substantially different to ours. It is advertised at $134,000 more than we paid four years ago! So, yes, I believe there is substantial house price inflation in Calgary.

Old Nov 30th 2005, 2:06 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
To follow this:

One of our near neighbours house went on the market last week - it is not substantially different to ours. It is advertised at $134,000 more than we paid four years ago! So, yes, I believe there is substantial house price inflation in Calgary.

Not sure this helps but I just got my tax assessment and the value of my house has risen nearly 22% in 18 months...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:58 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks

Penyhp
Here is a Realty Times article that states that, owing to an expected increase in interest rates in 2006, house prices are expected to increase by an average of 5% in 2006 instead of the 9% price increase that 2005 has seen. (The figures are for Canada as a whole.)

Here an article, written for the same publication, by a real estate salesperson in Moncton. Her prognosis is similar to the other author's.

Here is the latest Housing Market Outlook published by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. I only looked at the front page of the 26-page publication. The summary was fairly similar to what the above mentioned real estate salespeople had said. The Table of Contents indicates that the booklet has a detailed section on each province, including NB.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Not sure this helps but I just got my tax assessment and the value of my house has risen nearly 22% in 18 months...
When we moved here after 8 years of property rises in London (UK) averaging around 30% per year in CAD terms, we thought that would be it.

Not so. It appears the value of our house here is over 25% more than when we bought it just over a year ago.

Of course, a valuation is just that. Until somebody pays that amount it could be worth zilch. And as we are definitely not selling we won't know.

However, even after all the costs of setting up here, the rise in property values here coupled with the rise in the CAD and the flattening or fall of UK prices means that if we did decide to sell up we could move back to a bigger house

Not that we want to.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Thanks

Penyhp
You should use www.mls.ca. This site will allow you view current properties for sale in your area. Also, you will be able make contact directly with agents in your area of interest who can tell you about local market conditions and near term expectations.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:18 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
You should use www.mls.ca. This site will allow you view current properties for sale in your area. Also, you will be able make contact directly with agents in your area of interest who can tell you about local market conditions and near term expectations.

Did some googling and came up with the Royal Le Page website that has surveys of Canadian house prices by province etc. According to their website and all in the name of good PR they purport to be:

"Royal LePage is the recognized voice and leader in Canadian real estate. As the single most quoted company in Canada, Royal LePage has the information and expertise to help you.

Our reports give you a good sense of the Canadian real estate market. Once you know the score, you'll be more prepared to plan your own real estate goals."

Apparently their quarterly survey reports go back to 1974 and are posted on line one month after the quarter closes.

Having quickly eyeballed the latest one (PDF or ZIP file on website) it looks quite informative and gives a glossary and pictures of house types (useful for newbies not familiar with Canadian house terminology) and then give prices based on province and house type with price comparisons for one year ago, 3 months ago, for the quarter and also est.taxes and est. mthly rental value.

This looks like a really good foundation for anyone coming to Canada or those already here interested in their own area. Have a look it's quite informative!

http://www.royallepage.ca and then click on Ask Royal Le Page and then click on Reports option.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi all

Thanks

Penyhp
Hello you, how are ya?

Speaking as half of a marriage that has resided here near St. George since last Jan. I am happy to inform you of the following -

It is the case that it is a buyers market, hand in hand with a buyers market comes a depressed economy.

Canada is having a General Election in January, in the past the opposition Conservative leader referred to Atlantic Canada as a "welfare state".
It it mildly true, here Winter brings a lot of industry to a halt, here if one puts in enough hours in the Summer, one is expected to "sign-on" to get through the Winter.

In NB along the Fundy Bay coast, is expensive in comparison to inland.

Fredericton is the hub of NB, and that is reflected in house prices.

But less then 30min. drive away from the cities and house prices are very cheap.

For Brit`s arriving in NB, now is the time to get a place and start a business, after some very, very in depth research.

Remember, there is less then 1,000,000 people in NB, NB is 3 times the size of Wales.

I can only suggest you use www.mls.ca

The NB provincial stats` sites are 4 years old.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hello you, how are ya?

Speaking as half of a marriage that has resided here near St. George since last Jan. I am happy to inform you of the following -

It is the case that it is a buyers market, hand in hand with a buyers market comes a depressed economy.

Canada is having a General Election in January, in the past the opposition Conservative leader referred to Atlantic Canada as a "welfare state".
It it mildly true, here Winter brings a lot of industry to a halt, here if one puts in enough hours in the Summer, one is expected to "sign-on" to get through the Winter.

In NB along the Fundy Bay coast, is expensive in comparison to inland.

Fredericton is the hub of NB, and that is reflected in house prices.

But less then 30min. drive away from the cities and house prices are very cheap.

For Brit`s arriving in NB, now is the time to get a place and start a business, after some very, very in depth research.

Remember, there is less then 1,000,000 people in NB, NB is 3 times the size of Wales.

I can only suggest you use www.mls.ca

The NB provincial stats` sites are 4 years old.
Hi

Thanks to you and all for the replies. Lots of useful info.
I have been looking on the mls for some time and have done a research trip to NB.
I was really just musing as to how property values have varied over the past few years and wanted to perhaps identify any areas that are growing and might be worth investing in (with a long term view).
It is out intention to settle somewhere close to Moncton. Maybe near the sea, but we would quite like to buy a couple of rental properties.
Which are the "NB provincial stats " sites you mantioned?

Thanks

Pennyhp
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Property assessments for municipal tax purposes don't reflect the Market Value of a property. That can be higher or lower. This year in Oakville prices have gone up by almost 9-10 % and last year 8%. You may have made a substantial gain - hope you were able to buy big!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcexit
Property assessments for municipal tax purposes don't reflect the Market Value of a property. That can be higher or lower. This year in Oakville prices have gone up by almost 9-10 % and last year 8%. You may have made a substantial gain - hope you were able to buy big!
I'm sure they reflect trends in the market value, they just lag behind a little. No municipality is dumb enough to suddenly jump the property tax assessments to the market values across the board, there would be a mutiny. It seems that in general tax assessments jump up to whatever a house sold for come the next assessment, but older houses that have not sold in years lag behind a bit as its politically suicide to jump those assessments to the full market value.

Take my house as an example. Bought in 2001 for 105k, assessment jumped to 105k, then it stayed there a few years until a neighbours similar house sold for $116k...my assessment jumped to $116k, where it stayed for a year or two, this year its up to 125k, based on inflation and a larger house nearby selling for >$150k.

I may be assessed for 125, but there is no way I would sell for that little, but as far as price trends go I think the municipal assessment reflects the trends, just not necessarily the market value.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I'm sure they reflect trends in the market value, they just lag behind a little. No municipality is dumb enough to suddenly jump the property tax assessments to the market values across the board, there would be a mutiny. It seems that in general tax assessments jump up to whatever a house sold for come the next assessment, but older houses that have not sold in years lag behind a bit as its politically suicide to jump those assessments to the full market value.

Take my house as an example. Bought in 2001 for 105k, assessment jumped to 105k, then it stayed there a few years until a neighbours similar house sold for $116k...my assessment jumped to $116k, where it stayed for a year or two, this year its up to 125k, based on inflation and a larger house nearby selling for >$150k.

I may be assessed for 125, but there is no way I would sell for that little, but as far as price trends go I think the municipal assessment reflects the trends, just not necessarily the market value.
Hellfire! I thought property was cheap up here! Next you'll be telling us it came with three acres and riverine rights.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hellfire! I thought property was cheap up here! Next you'll be telling us it came with three acres and riverine rights.
0.82 acres with a view like this.

We dont have access rights to the river, but the neigbours are pretty amenable to using their yard...all we would need is a boat, but Im not that interested really.

Nice to live here from a wildlife point of view ...and the view is nicer than looking at your neighbours house a few yards away too.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 1st 2005 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
0.82 acres with a view like this.
Smug git.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.